1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A smorgasbord of...stuff

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Apr 17, 2009.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Random questions and unrelated ephemera...

Has anyone heard Dan Whitehouse? Click on my MySpace below and a track of his is on there. Click him on my friends to see/hear more. Interested to hear objective outside opinions. He's growing on me, but can't put my finger on why exactly...is it just me?

Someone here mentioned Doves and that they were seeing them...? Can't recall who. I saw them last night. Fantastico! Have to see them again. I think they're doing the Hop Farm Fest in July, which I'm going to to see The Twang. Hope they're on same day. Two days at a festival is one too many for me.

Talking of the Twangers (and I haven't done for awhile), new album (working title Not Tonight, It's Monday - as of the recent past at least) in final mixing stages. So, SO can't wait for this. Trying not to judge from the few songs they've done live. Their debut was such a force and follow-ups always difficult, but my production hero and pal has taken control again and I have the utmost respect for his work, so here's fingers crossed and hoping. (And for those who know Cloudy Room - big chris will! - wouldn't you love to hear Nick doing this as a closer instead of T&B?! Maybe a bit left of, but oh, it'd be a blast!).

And finally: is there now just TOO MUCH music out there? I've had this conversation a few times in recent months with different people and the feeling seems to be there is. We are bombarded with so many new artists, old artists, new songs, videos etc everywhere all the time, and I know I feel a bit overwhelmed. Are we really able to take in and appreciate it all? Or is music at risk of becoming as dispensable as yesterday's news?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  2. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Hope that means they have enough material ... so they can play for longer than a hour at a gig ... chuffing cheap scapes !!

3. HarperPR

How very dare you!:biggrin: I would rather see The Twang for 60 - 75 mins and thoroughly enjoy every single solid minute, than see some boring lot play for twice the time but can't wait for them to get off!

I don't think I could last 2 hours dancing to The Twang - and you have to with them. Same with Dreadzone. Non stop hi energy.

4. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Too much to sift through...

There is too much mass-produced and over-produced music.

There is almost never enough new, good, interesting, innovative music that reaches the public. I believe the good stuff exists, but it so rarely reaches the market. I personally think most people who write good music are unwilling to compromise their musical ideals -- "play ball" with the industry -- because they recognize the risks of losing creative control for a quicker buck. Most of them have also had their egos clipped too many times

Artists like Roy and Nick are almost unique, leaving fans like me only wanting more.

Next Question: Will a liberal American President encourage a more Artistic and Expressive Society?

5. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Well said, NC! :thumbup: welcome back, by the way, might you make it to any of Nick's US gigs in September?

I certainly hope so, wouldn't that be great :biggrin:

6. NoCelebrity

Not Nixing Nick Yet!

Paula, I certainly hope so, but it looks like a one day drive each way to the nearest concert site. I mentioned to Linn (I think) the Annual Music Festival outside Ithaca, NY, with lots of great lesser-known acts sometime in the Summer. Country, Bluegrass, Rock, and non-American acts... A possibility for networking with other musicians.

Perhaps he can play closer to Chicago... How big is Nick's fan base in the midwest? Does he know any US musicians that can introduce him? Or how about Soundstage (shot by WTTW in Chicago) or Austin City Limits. OK, Soundstage wants "name" acts.

7. HarperPR

I think the answers, NC, may be coming in due course...:wink:

8. scotpaulabear

Well I'm thinking I can travel to all the gigs, but I'll be based in Boston... I'm even going to Pittsburgh for Harpic, and god knows I've never felt inclined to do that before :wink:

9. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Can you...

Can you smuggle me over in your suitcase? Seriously though, what do USA customs people do with people who have cautions for possession of cannabis? Heard lots of scare-mongering and would hate to be turned back at JFK. BTW I only smoked it but didn't inhale!! Like Bill Clinton, and 90% of the Labour Cabinet and Conservative leader. Hmmmmm!

c/a :sifone::sifone::sifone: In the garden of the great benign shewolf spinning gently on...

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2009
  10. scotpaulabear

Don't know Andi, I've never had that problem... sorry!
    Rest assured, the USA hates everyone, even its friends... oh no wait, has that changed? :wink:

11. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Cautions aren't a problem. If you have been convicted or arrested then I think you are supposed to declare it. :D

12. NoCelebrity

Short term memory loss...

I definitely won't be meeting Paula, TM, or Andi outside Gate 3C ninety minutes before the gig in Pittsburgh... :wink: And I certainly won't be wearing a bright Pink t-shirt with a big green "hand" on it. And if anyone knows what mukluks are, I won't be wearing those either....

I repeat...

I definitely won't be meeting Paula, TM, or Andi outside Gate 3C ninety minutes before the gig in Pittsburgh... :wink: And I certainly won't be wearing a bright Pink t-shirt with a big green "hand" on it. And if anyone knows what mukluks are, I won't be wearing those either....

13. scotpaulabear

*wink wink* :thumbup1:

14. Travellerman

In Mumbai I was offered a J by the taxi driver I travelled with to get to the airport. On the street, in front of the airport departure lounge, and in front of the armed guards checking passports on entry! I declined. :biggrin:

15. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Stml

Thought with my STML I was beginning to lose the meaning of the thread within this thread until TM elucidated with his bit about Mumbai. Now NC mentions mukluks am getting confused again...is it about skinning up a skin canoe? :confused1:

c/a

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  16. NoCelebrity

Killer Weed Killers?

What if the Armed Guards offered?

17. NoCelebrity

Vague is as Vague does

Mukluks are a kind of snowshoe that would instantly stand out in a SUMMER crowd so that others might recognize me without a picture.

Like I said, I WOULDN'T do that. ("A wink is as good as a nod to a blind man..." -E. Idle).

So how many of you WON'T be meeting me at gate 3C? (Gate and time subject to change, since I don't know the venue).

18. Travellerman

Hmmmmmm, I must say take off and flight in an 'adjusted state', might be jolly interesting. :D