1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you nomophobic?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Mar 31, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Do you suffer nomophobia? Apparently more than 13 million Brits do. Experts say that up to 53 per cent of mobile phone users admit to experiencing feelings of anxiety, panic and stress when they run out of battery or credit, lose their phone or have no network coverage.

Well I certainly am one of these! Particularly when the web and email coverage fails, then I do get very grumpy and edgy as I am constantly using it and when it's not there I feel cut off from the world.:angry:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  2. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

i'm not, but husband is, he has only stopped answering it when driving because i told him i would be phoning the police and slashing the tyres on my people bus and car if he didnt stop doing it. he knows i mean what i say ;)
    i've just made no 1 son go cold turkey by confiscating his phone for being a gob****e ;) he has got past the sweats, but is still restless and moody.
    i regularly loose my phone and use it mostly for sudoku.

amor mundi

hatty :)

3. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

I don't worry about such things as mobiles, although I have one I use about £10 worth of credit maximum per month. It is there if I need it but am not a big text fan. I suppose I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to some newfangled gadgets..:p (I know my other half must be nomophobic though she's never off the phone!)

4. AndyRoberts

AndyRoberts I've got a zappy little nappy

the other one

No, I'm more like the opposite - when phones suddenly go off it makes me jump. I have to leave supermarkets without getting any shopping when they are full of people speaking out loud to themselves.

5. philmch

philmch I've got a zappy little nappy

Ten quid per *month* ?

Jeez, I barely use that in an entire year. When I do a top-up it's the bare minimum of five quid.

6. KarinB

KarinB Guest

That is very sad. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I'm the reverse, i feel gentle relief when i forget my phone and often switch it off to get away. I only get the shakes when it rings. There's only one reason to phone me i guess, and that's to give me a "monkey" - Harvard business school theory of problems.

8. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Do you often get people ringing you Critch..wanting to give you £500! :D

9. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Nomophobia [another one for the word hatelist!]

Am surprised this thread didn't take off and continue....

Nubile phones, as I call them, have actually changed body language within our generation. You see people crouching behind walls with their hand over their ear. Or you see the worried expression when their phone goes off in the library. If you compared video footage of people walking down the road from just a decade before, then you'd see the difference in human behaviour ... might make an interesting piece of scientific research? How will we react when the Aliens land with their universal sat-navs cloned in their brains?

Avoidance of mobility phonegrief : It's easy, just have two lists on receiving calls by barring - people with problems and those without. What happens when they've got both, and you are worried about both of them, both going schizo? They say the sign of a schizophrenic is someone who argues with himself and loses the argument! Welcome to the club!

c/a :m20:

10. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Two more hatewords/phrases!

Jeez? Has it got something to do with religion?

c/a

11. telemonster

telemonster I've got a zappy little nappy

i get a bit stressed if i lose the internet, but i'm not bothered about the mobile. i'd only worry in case the offspring might be trying to get in touch.

i'm actually one of those people who'd put mobiles near the top of 'man's worst invention' lists...

10 quid lasts me a month or 2 usually, but i have made it last about 3 months occasionally...