1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BEYOND The Door: Now viewing in the U.S.!

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by NoCelebrity, May 10, 2010.

1. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

When I bought the Beyond The Door DVD-CD package over a year ago, I knew the DVD was NOT viewable in the U.S., but I wanted the CD anyway (especially for live "Miles Remains"). I tried the DVD in my old MAC to be sure, and nothing was available.

Well, a couple nights ago I popped the DVD into my now 6 month old MAC PRO hooked up to a 1080p monitor -- And it worked!

What a tremendous joy, after 32 years, to finally see ROY in performance other than clips on the internet! The artistic imagery was nicely done, and seeing Roy doing what he does best gave me a hint of all I've been missing. "The Green Man" was a pleasant surprise -- I've always like that song, but it really impressed me live -- like everything on the DVD.

Not sure what happened to the restrictions, but I seem to remember it was only a matter of time before the various zones would be eliminated, unified, or otherwise made compatible. Glad it finally happened (I hope there's no limit to viewing!).

How about a sequel?!!!

2. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Now..

NC

Now you recommended/reminded me, must get over to Science Friction site to see if still available. I tend to get all stuff free these days via Internet. Sometimes, I tend to tantalise myself and know there are some of Roy's new stuff [after 1980] that I still haven't heard, and I'm sort of saving it for an appetising afters somehow. Still hung up on a page...

My finances ain't lapsing any more, and can afford a few more delights,sadly, forsaken in the past.The Bank Manager never sends you a congratulatory letter when you sort your finances out, do they? T'would be good marketing tool methinks; but then again, they would probably try and sell you Insurance, or, some other fiscal-fiduciary-fickle-frigging policy.

andi

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  3. NoCelebrity

Andi,

Just watched the last couple songs I'd skipped, then the miscellany, and about four "encores" (replays) before I took a break to check the radar for an approaching storm.

Perfect timing to see a response (yours) in my inbox.:biggrin:

I've been saving the LIVE albums and a couple others for my last purchases. And I'm still trying to absorb three-plus decades of ROY. (We'd BOTH better hurry before CDs and DVDs go out of fashion!)

4. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

you can generally remove the region lock on dvd players quite easily, i did it myself recently to my own. just google unlock regions + your dvd player model and you'll most likely find step by step instructions. it involves pressing a particular combination of buttons on the remote.

5. NoCelebrity

Why don't I GOOGLE more often?

Thanks, Shane!

I hope it works for me, but my computer has the highest-def monitor in the house. Still, players have more options with the remotes so I might try soon (I've been trying to figure out some of "Green Man" and if Roy has a very weird tuning or if I just can't count frets correctly:confused1:).

I think our DVD players are 4-5 years old or older, and in a few months we HAVE TO convert to HDTV in our area or lose cable and TV (or buy more devices to upconvert). I wonder if all new players like blu-ray now are compatible with all regions, as my new MAC PRO appears to be.

I'm resisting the urge to rant on the deliberate destruction of wealth the forced conversion to HDTV has caused. Not to mention the pollution from the dumping of old TVs... (I held on to several old ones until this year, now that they're finally being separately collected/recycled). Too late -- mini-rant!:D