1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Man climbing Big Mountain - wants to raise BIG amount of cash

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bigchris, May 8, 2010.

1. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Hi,

Apologies if I've hassled you already or again ... via another medium, but I have signed myself up for the Snowdon Rocks IV event in August and am trying to get "loads of money" raised for the Love Hope Strength Foundation and would love it if folks could donate some of their hard earned cash.

As some of you know, I'm not the fittest person in the world and so for me to climb up Mt Snowdon is going to be a big deal ! The last time I climbed it was 21 years ago ... but in those days I wasn't as big as I am now !!

So if you fancy sponsoring me, please do so either via http://www.justgiving.com/BigChrisBigMountain or if I see any of you at the up coming Roy gigs, I'll accept cash as I'll have an old fashioned sponsorship form.

Thanks,

Chris.

2. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Good on yah!

Just sent you PD's targeted birthday donation money; sure he won't mind too much for the worthy cause!

Did you know Don Whillan used to climb mountains with a full bottle of Scotch hidden under his clothing? My water bottle was full of Pilsner last year at Snowdon/Rhondda but don't tell anybody! There's a good hostelry at the bottom where we had a gig with a wonderful Welsh host who I've forgotten the name of.

Don Whillan was a fascinating massive Yorkshire mountaineer who is worth Googling. His gritty aphorisms are legendary. Especially, when he told fellow German climbers on an international climb listening to the radio at Base Camp, as we lost the World Cup, that, although we were beaten at our national game, we had already beaten them twice at their national game!

Andi

"My father considered a walk amongst the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing" Aldous Huxley

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  3. bigchris

Andy - many thanks for the donation - PD might be upset when he see's the amount - very generous !!

To be honest, I'd never heard of Don Whillan ... but just googled him ... sounds like an amazing character .. although wikipedia says he's from the other side of the pennines ... which I'll try and not think about when I read more about him !!

4. katrina

katrina I've got a zappy little nappy

The wonderful cafe owner is Steffan Andi.

Anyone else fancy a little walk with some great people.

Open to all - trek places are also available too.

xxx

5. aspwatterson

Kat!

Private message sent for your perusal.

Cheers
    Andi

6. aspwatterson

Katrina!

Your sponsor forms don't seem to be downloading from LHSF website unless there's a problem this end? I was going to get some people in the Old People's Home where I work to sponsor Chris like I did last year. Perhaps you can email them to me as an attach? Have also sent you a personal mssg about something else.

chrs
    Andi

7. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

That's amazing, Chris. Good for you! Are you going to be getting plenty of practise in between then and now? That High Wycombe looks a bit hilly when I see it from the train up to Brum! :D

8. katrina

Hi Andi

The downloadable sponsor form should work just tested it out

http://www.lovehopestrengthfoundation.co.uk/sponsorform.pdf

Can you let me have your email and happy to send them attached.

Let me know

love and hugs

xxx

9. just jane

just jane Computer stained fingers

Is it to late to sign up for this? Snowdon not the big trek

I have some friends(about 5 of us) interested but need to know the start time and estimated finish time. Also could my 15yr old son come along with me or will he need to get the minimum sponsorship as well.

10. katrina

Not too late

send me an email at katrinac@kcopping.fsnet.co.uk and I will send you all teh information.

Plenty of time to sign up as it is not until august

xx

11. just jane

just jane Computer stained fingers

email sent, I know its August, I didnt know if you had a maximum number taking part or anything

12. katrina

Just sent you two emails Jane as one bounced back :) hopefully it will make sense but the second one is the one you need to read :)

Anyone fancy a little walk with some friendly peoplexxxxx

Event registration is still open and will remain open xxx

13. bigchris

Ouch !!

Well I made it ( but only just ) !!!! It was easily the hardest thing I have ever done … and to be honest, it was only because I was doing it for charity that I made it to the top … if I was just doing it for a laugh … I would have given up !! The weather was awful, at some places the visibility was less than 15 feet … it rained most of the way, was well windy towards the summit and incredibly cold … but apart from that ( & the fact that we had to get up at 5:00am after a bit of a sesh the night before ) it was good fun ( at times ) !!

My body is now constantly reminding me of the feat … every muscle in my legs ( & right arm - one used with the walking stick ) is painful when I walk and the act of walking up/down stairs is just an absolute killer !! But the main man behind the charity, Mike Peters; is an inspiration to us all … he was up later than most on the Friday night … then was one of the first to reach the summit ( playing gigs at various places en-route ), then played a real concert in the afternoon and partied all night long - this for a man who has survived cancer twice, is just amazing !!

Here is a video of Mike ( & me - 1min 20secs into it - at the back on the RHS with my pixie hat on ) playing at the pillar, just before the final accent to the summit - the dodgy sound is due to the high winds :

[youtube]Yoi44ShFuyI[/youtube]

I'd just like to thank those that have already donated via the website and in person and I will be collecting money from the others that have pledged in the next couple of weeks ( i.e. the next time I see you ); but anyone else can still donate money via http://www.justgiving.com/bigchrisbigmountain and see a rather wet photo of me at the summit !!

Cheers,

Chris.

14. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Chris, you kicked arse, no doubt about it! :m3: *big hugs*

15. katrina

Well done chris and lovely to spend the weekend with you.

Looking forward to catching up soon

xxxx

16. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Well done mate, glad to hear you made it in one piece, and what a great cause too.

17. aspwatterson

Well done!

Well done that man! I had my faith in you!

chrs
    andi