1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buckley, Burke or Cohen?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Dec 19, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Hallelujah! Seems there's now a battle on for who takes the top single slot with their version: The X Factor's Alexandra Burke, Leonard Cohen's original or Jeff Buckley (big Facebook push on him; apparently 100,000 have joined a campaign to promote it. Seems to be working - sold 45,000 copies this week!). Shame Nick didn't do a cover as well!

At least Mr Cohen will be getting a few pennies in royalties.

In the Mail today Ray Connolly has written a piece about the song's lyrics. Wonder if he got the idea from our Song Club thread?:biggrin:

2. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

neither

in my humble opinion, the rufus wainwright version is the best of all versions of this particular song. but of the 3-buckley, then cohen. burke is the best looking of the 3, and is a fine singer, but she murders the song, i believe!

3. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

Cohen's is dark, Buckley's sublime, Burke's misses the point. Cowell wins again.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  4. dave w

dave w Computer stained fingers

5. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

6. HarperPR

I think Leonard Cohen is the best looking of the three, actually. Men don't age as well as women but he's still got it going on!

Is he not also the world's best living lyricist? I first got into him I think after seeing McCabe and Mrs Miller where his music (and the stunning cinematography) largely made that film.

7. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

surely this title belongs to Roy Harper? you wag!

Cohen is alright, a bit too clever for my liking at times. He's playing here in a few weeks but i object to paying that much for a ticket.

8. HarperPR

well...

so who would you put in a top ten? Harper, Cohen, Dylan, Morrissey...?

perhaps this is a cue for one of Andi's legendary polls to determine who is the best?!

:)

9. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

gosh, i dunno. of all the musicians i like not many stand out to me as great lyricists, RH does and its one of the big reasons Im such a big fan. its not just individual songs either, i like them all as one piece of work even though there are lots of songs in there that i dont really like at all. Jandek is another one i admire, i dont have even half of his 50+ albums and he has lots of dodgy lyrics but theres something special there all the same.

10. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Ah, but that's because you ladies have a head start on us :wink:

11. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Men are offended (and some are off to the gym)

There are lyrics in McCabe and Mrs Miller? I'll have to listen to my favorite Altman film again.

Funny you say men don't age as well as women, considering Warren Beatty played McCabe. What is he now, 90?:wink:

12. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Aging etc

I dunno - Paul Newman aged better than most of his contemporary women but he started from a better position. Helen Mirren is a good counter-example. So I don't subscribe to that idea that women age better than men. Generalisations are my enemy of the day...

Bob

13. wobbly bob

oh, no! dylan's dead????

14. HarperPR

Cohen sings The Stranger Song, Sisters of Mercy and Winter Lady.

15. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Sometimes I see things which I think "Hmmm, somebody should have thought a little bit more about that one!" like this prime example spotted in HMV St Helens today. Now I'm not saying it's anyone's fault, as that's just how their charts are layed out, but come on... really....!?

[​IMG]

16. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

HMV - What's it all about!!

I've never been a fan of HMV, the people they employ know nothing about music, and look at you as though you must be mistaken or mad when asking where for instance the Roy Harper section is. One prime example, last year I visited the HMV "outlet" in Lancaster where I disappointingly found 1 Roy Harper album Counter Culture (No Nick Harper) and a The Best Of Frank Zappa compilation.
    Needless to say I haven't returned since! :angry: So it really doesn't suprise me to see this Critch!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2008
  17. wobbly bob

well, if i was going to buy a roy harper album (i'm not) i doubt i'd be looking in hmv, to be honest... it's a no brainer, isn't it,,?
    if i was going to buy the latest from girls aloud, or some pop idol/x factor 'puppet', (i'm not) then i might go to hmv...

i buy almost everything online these days, with the exception of groceries...

am i the only one who chuckled at the photo, then...?:blushing:

18. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

I have all the Harper and Zappa albums I want, I just like to see what's going on with record shops these days, I think you can tell a lot from a store as to what's on the shelves! It harks back to my jaunts to record fairs many moons ago, I'm always on the lookout for a gem :biggrin: You're right though it is a no brainer these days.

19. rusinurbe

rusinurbe I've got a zappy little nappy

surely the John Cale version tops the lot.

20. wobbly bob

someone recommended that to me, but i've not heard it yet. so, at least until i do hear it, it's rufus for me!