1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cats

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Apr 5, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I'm interested in the black cats he's fallen in love with. I take these ARE the kind that have 4 legs and a tail!:D How many do you have now, Paul, three? Are they rescue ones or peds?

2. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Ah, well, our original cat #1 died a couple of months ago I'm afraid. It was a horrible shock; I was in London seeing a client and Vicky was working at home that day. I got a phone call from her and she wasn't actually able to speak, only sob. Eventually I managed to understand what had happened. One minute she (Hepsebah) had been in Vicky's lap, then wandered off for a while, then there was some retching noises and she was on the floor, dead. Some sort of heart failure apparently. She was always a very nervous cat so it makes sense. When I got home I had to scoop her up and take her off to the vet for checking and later cremation. Horrible business.

We wanted to look at the cat Sanctuary (http://www.chestnutcatsanctuary.co.uk/) last weekend to see how the place run etc, not necessarily to take the plunge, but we both fell in love with these two. We go and collect them later today, they are both 3 years old and are rescue cats, and they will be called Bastet and Lilith.

3. HarperPR

Oh, that's sad about your old cat. How horrible for Vicky. I can understand how you must have felt...

But congrats on becoming proud parents again! Have you collected them yet?

4. pd

Yes, we got back about an hour ago. They are both currently in the bathroom getting used to the room (and the litter tray!) before we let them venture any further. Fun days ahead.

5. HarperPR

Ah...! Have you let them out yet? Put up a pic soon. I have one black one that I got from Battersea. They say cats are supposed to be good stress relievers, but he has caused me more stress over the years than I think half a dozen kids would have done!:biggrin:

6. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

welcoming bastat and lillith (both stonkingly wonderful names!!) and linn is right, we need pix! and catbook profiles on facebook too :blushing: that could be a step too far, but my maud has one, need to get one up for morpheus and missing mr teatime too!
    linn, you can borrow my 5 kids and see if it is the same stress, you is most welcome :p today we took 4 of the to frankie and bennys for dinner and had the stress of one feeling ill and hoping, praying and wishing he wasnt gonna chuck at the table! gimmi cats any day, something to do with the fact cats dont argue every single bloody point made ever :willy_nilly:
    i'll stop waffling now!!
    yea pix paul!!
    amor mundi
    hatty :)

7. HarperPR

The thing with these cats, Paul and Fickle, is, do they like Roy and Nick Harper? They might be heavy metal fans, you don't know!:biggrin:

No, I think I'll pass on your offer, Hatt, if you don't mind! :D

8. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

maud does, morpheus, well he is asleep most of the time, even when he is awake, best named cat i've ever known!
    you sure you dont want em, great company, some dont sleep ever! and they constantly want feeding and like to embarrass you when ever possible ......
    i'm stuck with em arent i?? :confused1:

amor mundi

9. pd

I've opened up a new cats thread as you can see :)

I can't take pictures at the moment... the little buggers have found a hidey hole in the back of the electric and gas meter cupboard in my basement ("podcave" as Dave B calls it) and are currently doing the cat equivalent of raising a finger to me when I try to coax them out. So we'll leave them for a bit until they feel a bit more secure. We got lots of fusses last night so I'm sure it's just a temporary acclimatisation thing.

10. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

ha! typical goddesses ;)

11. DJ Burnham

DJ Burnham I've got a zappy little nappy

12. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

oh he is divine!! i lurve ginger cats! reminds me mucho of my late great mcvitie the ginger kitty.
    my miss maud and her brother the missing mr teatime

[​IMG]

and the morpheus

[​IMG]

ginger cats rock!

amor mundi

13. HarperPR

Bit of a poser that cat! Bet it has its airs and graces too.:biggrin:

I have pix but er might take me awhile. But I have the black 'monster' and a long-haired brown/white tabby (both rescues from Battersea) and two half Birmans, one a Seal Point, the other a Tabby Seal. I just went for the china blue eyes!

14. pd

Still no pictures from me as yet; Lilith is very shy indeed so I've been letting her hide away. The other one, Bastete, is completely the opposite... though the two of them did spend all afternoon curled up together in a hidey hole.

Anyway this picture was taken by the Rescue place...

[​IMG]

15. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Cute! They remind me of our cat Harry, who had to be put to sleep in 2006, at the ripe old age of 21. We decided against getting a replacement cos he was irreplaceable.

16. Marcie

Marcie I've got a zappy little nappy

Gorgeous cats, Paul! Enjoy them.

I'll be moving to the UK within the next year, and having to contend with a 6 month quarantine period for my brood (two possibly three cats).

I'll try to get some photos of my brood up soon...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  17. pd

Bast-ete in full yoga mode
    [​IMG]
    Lilith
    [​IMG]
    Bast again
    [​IMG]
    We've put jangly collars on now, and red is for Lilith, purple is for Bast-ete...

18. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

yay!! what pretty goddesss!!
    how they settling now paul?
    amor mundi

19. pd

Really well thanks. I had a little nap yesterday afternoon (that's old age for you I suppose) and Bastet came and napped with me on the bed with her paw on my hand. Really sweet. And Lilith is becoming much more friendly too though I haven't tried to pick her up yet. They managed to con us into getting fed twice last night... by hassling me a lot while I was in the kitchen cooking, then hassling Vicky when she went out there later on.

We don't know the exact circumstances of how they came to be at the rescue place; we were told that a chap dropped them in saying they'd been left on his doorstep but it was apparent that the sanctuary staff didn't really believe him. Hard to imagine why someone wouldn't want two such happy cats but perhaps it was a money issue, or a new baby or something. We'll never know, but we'll make sure they have a great life from now onwards.

20. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Pussy galore?

I thought this place was a cathedral where we worship his Highnesses Roy and Nick? Not a blooming Cat Appreciation Society website!

andi :m9::m9::m9:
    Still on the bus!