1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Critch's boat project

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by critch, Sep 25, 2008.

1. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

This Tuesday gone, I got given a boat. It's in really bad shape. Needs a new deck and most of the floor and side panels replaced.im gonna try and do it up and I thought i'd keep you all updated. It's intended for fozzwick's mum once it's finished.

I'll take some photos and keep you all updated on progress. I'm also gonna take it to the nationals next year so that'll be proof on whether I've done a good job.

It's called a graduate sailing dinghy. This one is about 30 years old.

2. critch

3. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

We are sailing...

Critch

I was wondering about your boat business recently cos I thought you were buying a new one [choice of two models if I remember rightly?] last year. Nice pics; cheers. If I was living near the sea it would definitely be an investment of mine. I got on the front page of the national press being rescued on a piece of polystyrene heading for France as a teenage prankster. See if I can dig out the article and post it here. In the Torygraph the headline was 'Reluctant trio saved in the Solent' as we thought we were alright in our naievity and didn't need rescuing! I do just love being on the sea and getting away from the land. It's a wonderful perspective. My best job ever was being a barman on a ferry that went round and round the IOW on excursions. It didn't feel like a job more like a holiday. Until we picked up a Welsh Rugby team at Southampton who drank the boat dry. We literally had to carry several of them off the boat and leave them unconcious on the dockside!

chrs
    andi [no boat smilies! Sorry!] So this will have to do! :auto:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  4. critch

Heading to france on a piece of polystyrene? That's like something I would do...

My Sister and I used to have a little rubber dinghy and our dad would tie a rope to it and back to his deckchair to stop us going to far! Everytime he got up to do something, we'd row as fast as we could away from the shore draging his deckchair down the beach... Never had a chance of getting to france though - not with an anchor anyway!

I gave up on the idea of getting a new boat. I'm not quite sure why now, but it's all become a bit elementary now I've no money coming in. I will one day, and until that day comes I've still got my trusty enterprise in the dinghy park. And hopefully I'll have this one too when I finish it!

Critch [​IMG] (using an old forum hack that Paulabear taught me on harperspace.co.uk)

5. aspwatterson

Other boat enterprises [business dreams]..fishing tales..

Careers which I have considered in the past :

1] Buying one of those massive Arabian dhows and navigating back thru' The Med via Suez Canal & Bay of Biscay. Avoiding Somali pirates these days! Seeking suitable Arab business investment with a Kosher [wrong religion sorry! Kebab maybe?] sponsorship and parking it on the Embankment as a top class Arabian restaurant. Did actually spot a dilapitated dhow in Langstone harbour a few years ago rotting on the foreshore.Always wondered how it got there and the history behind it. When I went back it was a pile of wood.

2] Buying three houseboats, which were all on the market at the same time in the Estate Agents, on Chichester marina and renting them out. Until I found out the risks / costs involved e.g full underwater inspection every year when a special crane has to haul you out of the water at massive expense; property insurance with marine clauses exceptions, maintenance / underwater sealing etc. etc.

3] Take people out in your boat for a spot of deep sea fishing off Cornwall. Businesswise a very attractive prospect if you a qualified mariner and fisherman with local knowledge and your hobby anyway.Gave up fishing from South Parade pier when I went thru' my Vegetarian stage and thought we were hurting the fish!

In the Nineteen Eighties got stuck in Basrah in a war zone. No cash point machines available. Borrowed $50 off a Dutch captain at the Shatt-al-Arab Hotel bar to help my passage back to Bahrain [avoiding Kuwait] and gave him my UK address. Literally, about ten years later, I got a letter from Holland asking me if I remembered him and he was skint and lost everything. His ship had got bombed in the Shatt-al-Arab waterway. Sent him $100 with my loving thanks...

Some of my past life has been helping people start and run businesses for the Government and various Charities [probably done about 6000 Business Plans and helped about 20,000 would-be entrepreneurs including myself and the so-called disadvantaged].

If you can make a hobby out of your business or visaversa it must be the perfect panacea. I even survived running a Crossword business for about five years but found it a bit difficult to deal with media-sharks.

I've started other peoples' businesses' from snail farmers to a guy selling beefburgers dressed up as Batman! Had to be in Wales dinnit?

But if anyone approached me these days with a maritime idea then I'd just sing them 'Franklin's Tale' to remind them of the pitfalls....DADGAD tuning with a couple of Bass hammer-ons /slide-ups with shapes D and A.

chrs
    andi

ps Think I've uploaded that article from the Press I refered to in a previous post somewhere else on Internetty. Will do a search. :auto: Go Andi go!! Now!!

6. critch

I'd love to set up a boat building business but for two reasons. 1, I don't have the skill, and 2, the economy at the moment isn't such that it'd really be viable at the moment. Both as important as each other! I'm hoping that if I keep tinkering away at boats while working/redundant(!) I may one day be able to retire to and become a boat builder. Unfortunately wooden racing dinghies are slowly becoming a thing of the past! FRP (Fibre reinforced plastic) and Epoxy boats are becoming the thing.

There has been no downturn yet, but I'm hoping that one day people'll go - well wood is recycleable so let's go back to that! One never knows... At the end of the day when a plastic boat reaches the end of it's working life you've basically got 100 thousand plastic bags that need to be disposed of...

I've got a side panel in my boat now! Not perfect - in part due to me putting a big gash in my finger which is now making it difficult to type! So perhaps I should stop!

7. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

What happened to your interview with that boaty bloke?

How's everyone down at the yacht club? Bet it's frozen over today isn't it? We've had about 8 inches of snow in London since last night. Everything ground to a halt as usual. All London buses were pulled off the road from before midnight and it wasn't until about 3pm that 60 routes got running but most still off. London v white and v quiet!

8. critch

It's snowing here! Not as bad as it is down there. Don't know if the lake is frozen. The nutters sailed yesterday - including my sister. She was frozen so when she got in I had a cup of tea ready for her!

That interview with John Lufkin was published about december. Got good feedback about it! Thanks for your help with that. I'd post it here but no one would be that interested and plus it's on my old computer so not easily accessible!

9. aspwatterson

Boat building business prognositical prognosis...

Critch/

From what you said, it does not look very viable...

The old SWOT [Strengths. Weaknesses.Opportunities.Threats.] Analysis probably wouldn't stand the business model up to scrutiny.

Without being clouded by your hobby / addiction. Which can sometime be the problem.

Best way to start a business with a hobby in mind,to satisfy your whims,is when you've got adequate money to do it... bit like gambling really; when you can risk so much without the fear of losing it...

But most people are obviously not in that situation, which is why they are trying to start a business in the first place to replace being employed by someone else they do not respect.

And have to convince the Banks to lend them money to finance it. So just look at the Banks gambling performance recently? If it didn't affect me I would find it laughable....

Say no more
    goodnite...

andi

10. critch

How come the first question everybody asks when I tell them I'm renovating a boat is "Is it going to sink?"

Yes well, I do have that concern of getting all the joints water tight, but they are designed in a way that should stop water getting in. Ok, so I'm slightly nervous that they're not all going to be bob on, and I might get some water in, but really, sink? They're made of wood for god's sake! lol.

Anyway, I got a side panel in the other day. Not too happy with it to be honest. Could have gone smoother, but I have a template for the other side now, and also a little bit more of a clue how I'm going to do it. Live and learn as they say. I've learnt more about boat building in the last few weeks than in my entire life tinkering with boats.

Anyway, the boat has to go on hold for a bit. I've got decorating to do at Fozz's mum and dad's place. And also I have a bit of a broom cupboard to sort out and put shelves etc up there. It's a bit of a mess at the moment, and I'm convinced I can do it better! We shall see!

11. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

surely, it's 'is SHE going to sink'....?

:biggrin:

12. aspwatterson

That's why frogs..

That's why I lost interest in learning French all those years ago. To start having to remember that a tree and a door etc. had to be feminine just seemed totally nonsensical to me. Just clouding the finite brain with extraneous memory matter. Starting learning Arabic until I found out that they prefered to speak English. But there again my guitars are definitely feminine just by their shape and Hoovers are masculine [Henrys] used by females!

masalama, au revoir etc..
    andi

13. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

so...

are boats french, then....?

14. HarperPR

Le petit bateau is...:D

15. aspwatterson

La petite thread maybe...? Sorry spouting..go to sleep now; promise!!

With LPR's plummy [sp?] pod posh accent then ???

I bet she can speak fluorescent, fluent French?

Only guessing?

Finished her elecutionary lessons at private school?

Actually, somehow, I do love it... It's like some sparky sorta headmistress control which men aspire to : to go back to their childhood probably; in their womb-origin-belikedness with ma'an'granma looking after them?

Women are usually a comfort to men but not always visaversa or viscerally otherwise.

But also, somehow Nature depicts [maybe unfairly] that females always have the upper power, [morally usually] ; cos they gave birth to us mortal men which is where average men do have to sometimes disagree with bits of the Bible and the rest of the published historical religious dogma for a few millennia. Eve was a virgin born from a rib? Eh?

Say no more, but if it is possible to have a Virgin birth without Richard Branson present, then perhaps men are improving their score against women [not just women; but various avaricious people, whatever gender, after your hard-won money!], and are achievably able to mentally to escape fom this present materialistically media-run world : which is where we worringly seem to be heading to, and trapped in a revolving around credit crunch/lunch time disappearing banknotes..

But never can or should we blame Nature solely itself. So is it all our fault or the situation we are alloted here in this here space and time? It's all revolving anyway as we are taught by Sir RH! But should we feel guilty as a part of our human connivance to exploit nature on the Planet? Basically we are are just trying to survive our alloted time and hope the kids are alright. And the next...and the next...how many nexts? Is that selfish in scale of the predicament which is looming next on this debacle of the mess we've contributed to our present galactical home?

Man-made tales about Eden & Noah eat your heart out! Religious prejudiced views stuck in another past century begone!... With your narrow-minded fixations on the stars you'd witnessed revolving; and not quite revealing the wonder of the Universe surrounding!

Just man-made suppositionary 'Heavens' through simplistic interpretations at that point in the human evolutionary cycle. Just look at time evidential geological strata to realise how small we are in the scale of things.

Just got to breath in, or open your eyes...

Simple as that... think Roy's got a song about that... and Buddha etc.., and other meditational gurus stuck up on the stage for us to look up to, and revere, in their transcedenscental / philosophical / appreciating-on-the-moment / states of enlightenment / blinding intuition / flashing Nirvanas / spontaneous Satoris / enchanting-never-to be forgotten-life-changing-episodes which are usually quite unreachable for us mere mortals..but we can still try. No harm in trying Mr.Mannering!!

Now I am really twittering..just ignore the rest...sorry...

andi

ps's...

No sense! Nonsense!

But only speaking from a man's point of view,.... which is all I can do I suppose. Try to rise above from the Google Earth landscape of being just a man spinning around on this wonderful Earth-situation sometimes? Question others. Question youself.

But usually nobody is listening. Sorry rambling..shut up Andi go to bed!!.... in a minute .... haven't finished...

Reminds me of nice <domineering> women who are genuine in their belief that they want to look after you and tell you where you've gone wrong! Have their wicked ways about you linguistically and otherwise.

You'll never win [but that's me being negative] against the forces that rail against us men. It's obviously a Woman's tide of moonlike non-ebbing days and us men have got to keep our heads down whilst they place themselves in history. Look at Maggie. We are obviously the minor species these days. I don't care if women are better at Football anymore. Now that's sad innit?

The subjugation of men is totally apparent in the natural world. Black Widows in all of us whatever the sex or genre situation / position.

I still think that men have trouble appreciating that they are not the strongest species around.... women have to go through the excruciating pains of giving birth and worry about their offspring biologically for as long as they are alive. Men can sort of afford to be a bit more circumspectual.

Just picture a French / Baltic / Indian woman nagging you in her indigenous language would be quite amazing! All the venom in foreign phonetics and you have only got a gist of what they are on about! Otherwise you'd get totally depressed in English. Yes goodnite my dear, see you in the morning with your latest translator!

Trying to keep out of trouble right now... chat whilst chatting...it's all that you've got to communicate with before your plane goes down!

Bye bye..

Chrs and relate later...

andi [prob throttled now at the mo...?]

Instant speakeasy it's the only way...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  16. HarperPR

Mais non, my French is non-existent despite my paternal grandmother being French and all that side of the family being bilingual. But my great-grandmother was Russian (White, not Red!) and I don't speak that either.

And some men do like dominant women, I know. Depends who and how I suppose.:wink: I once got into a conversation with a barman at the Oxford on that very topic. I jokingly snapped my fingers at him when ordering, and then realised how it might be perceived as rude and hastily apologised. But he said he liked it - ! - hence the discussion...

Whatever floats your boat.:biggrin:

17. aspwatterson

La domiatrix verbosity

God I was waffling last night...sorry...'there's something inside that really needs to show' another unintentional suicide via email to non-apolgise for.

Back to the drawing board of boat templates. What shall we call Critch's leaky boat then? HMS Regina ruling the waves? I know! Elizabeth will do.. or Thin Lizzy maybe depending on the thickness / stoutness of the wood he's manicuring to perfection.

chrs
    waffly slobavitch sonovabitch what a son. :m21:

18. critch

We were gonna paint it purple and call it smoke on the water ....

19. critch

I know it's very bad form to quote one's self but does no one like the name? If you don't then maybe I should change it!

BTW folkies, in regard to that boat builder chappie I did the interview with, I put him a website together which you can find (and please have a look and tell me what you fink) on http://www.lufkinboats.co.uk

20. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

I like it, and the colour too obviously :biggrin: