1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dr. Who

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KarinB, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

Last Saturdays Dr Who was brilliant. I though the repeating/sync-ing thing was well conceived and executed and then the speaking in advance idea was just plain spooky, especially as my little girl Aoife started "repeating" when it had gone off. Amusing but vaguely unsettling to have a four year old girl say "Shut up, it's not funny now" back at you.

I assumed this was NOT Russel T Davies, as it was so good. Am I wrong?

+A

2. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Wrong on both counts! It was by RTD, and it was not good.
    :leaving:

3. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

AND very little of Ms Tate .... BONUS !!!!

4. KarinB

KarinB Guest

I'm not a die hard Dr. Who fan - I can remember it being on on Saturday afternoon and having to hide behind our settee - so I must have wanted to watch it but I have to say that I don't like Russell T Davies' episodes and am pleased that he is leaving the show. However, I did really enjoy Saturday's episode where Rose came back. I do also think that Catherine Tate is great as Donna.

5. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers

June 28, real Earth time

Say what you like about RTD, PD, but tonight's episode was just ... woo-hoo.

I really want to know if that is the best kept secret in the Beeb's history ... .

I can barely wait until next Saturday.

6. pd

I completely forgot to watch it! But I did enjoy last week's "turn left" one, even though there was a lot of Donna shouting...

I may wait until next week and watch both as a double bill, since we're away for a few days later this week for some R&R.

7. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

Spoiler Alert

PAUL - and anyone else who didn't see Dr. Who this Saturday - DO NOT read on! SPOILER ALERT...

For anyone else...

That was an amazing cliffhanger. If true, then not only has RTD crafted something of a triumphant "Au revoir!" but it truly has been the best kept casting secret ever!

However, I feel that Tennant might be saved from regeneration by the "One second slip in time" that the Daleks have created in which they were hiding the universe...one second seems about the time Donna needs to throw herself in the path of danger...

...but if it is regeneration then how many is that now? Can't be many left...someone needs to write a get out clause for that...

(And in other news, unforgiveable you gave the Daleks wings...RTD...I wish they'd write that out of the canon. Stairs. That's what you used to need to defeat the Daleks. Stairs. )

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  8. Wee Steve

Defeat the Daleks

And kerbs, and kerbs: local authorities did us no favours fitting all those ramps at the road-side - perfect for Dalek movement.

(Apols to any of us with mobility problems ...)

9. p.e.todd@btinternet.com

p.e.todd@btinternet.com I've got a zappy little nappy

Thats possibly a really good idea actually or watch this weeks episode immediately before the saturday one.

10. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I think the last episode I watched involved Tom Baker, though I was 'raised' on Pertwee. Anyway, I sat and watched an episode on TV here last night and was quite content.

Cybermen vs Daleks, millions of them! and they can fly now too! I didn't care much for the 'assistant' (Billie Piper?) though, and didn't think the Daleks needed to be so 'expressive', they even cracked a few sarcastic lines to the Cybermen, it took some of their scary edge away. I found them more terrifying as a kid when they were just wheeling down corridors in silence, in pursuit :47:. Still, I found the sight of a legion of Cybermen marching through suburbia an impressive nod to nostalgia and the early series.

7/10

11. Wee Steve

Billie Piper

Stick with it.

Rose/Billie Piper (IMO) becomes one of the great Dr Who characters, and her disappearance is one of those moments from great classic tragedy, a sort of Orpheus and Eurydice thing: "Out of the lands of shadows and darkness, we were returning towards the morning light..."

I nearly cried.

12. Kenny_Wisdom

If someone would be kind enough to actually explain what actually happened in the finale, I may upgrade my official appraisal from "Pile of Gallifreyan goats poo" to, "Uh, OK".

Daleks should be subject to the laws of gravity. I still believe that.

Oh, alright, the story wasn't terrible, but the cheesy cast gurning to camera everytime RTD wrote in the script, "Pat me on the back here; let's all have a moment" was too much for me.

13. pd

We watched the 2 episodes back to back last night having got home late afternoon. My impression: a good roller-coaster ride but the script was an absolute mess, wasn't it? Nice to see Davros again though.

14. Wee Steve

Goats on ...

... Gallifrey? Blimey!

They saved the effing universe.

Isn't that enough?

Next people will be saying "Oh, yah, I watched it, but the story line was so unlikely I switched to "Stars in their eyes" instead."

:biggrin:

PS I will admit to having been confused several times, particularly with The Hand, but the drawing together of threads was nice, if contrived.

PPS And I nearly cried again when Rose was sent back to the parallel. "Don't turn around I heard you whisper in my ear ... I saw that lost look in your eye."

PPPS Will Mickey join "Torchwood"

15. Kenny_Wisdom

Ah, all my sniping aside, I'm happy to see David Tennant returning to the role for at least the next four specials (I think that many is in the pipeline for next year).

Now we should take punts on who the next assistant might be. A complete unknown, or not?

As long as Bonnie Langford is never in the frame for a return! :biggrin:

OOoh, and the Tardis - am I the only one who would love to see more of the interior, or is that part of its charm, that we never get a guided tour? There must be masses of rooms to look around. Surely he's got a playroom onboard? You know, that special place him and Rose used to chill out in...

16. Wee Steve

Doc 'n' Rose's private place?

Absolutely, but it's probably got a time lock on it, to ward off prying eyes.

As for a new assistant, an interesting one. Langford must surely have been consigned to the time vortex somewhere, hasn't she?

How about Gwen out of Torchwood?

Mind you, the PC element will probably insist on a male.

Then again, how about an "alien"? Tom Baker had wotsername, after all.

17. Kenny_Wisdom

Yeah. PC brigade will scupper my wish for a female hottie, er, I mean, contemporary, to take the role. MMM, Alex Kingston was a feisty sidekick, for sure.

Ugggh, I hope the storyline which prevents Langford ever popping up again is cast-iron watertight.

Absolutely, Tom did have wotsername, didn't he? She ended up in a Japanese war camp. It's tough, being the Doc's bit on-the-side.

18. pd

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  19. marky

marky I've got a zappy little nappy

Argh!! :33: she would be far too alien surely