1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glasto 2010

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by aspwatterson, Oct 12, 2009.

1. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Breaking news! Andy Williams [81] playing apparently! Perhaps all the ol'timers can have a stage to themselves? :wink:

Now where's my pipe and slippers?

andi

2. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

They are suppose to be having music from every year since the first glasto .. i.e. acts from the past 40 years ... sounds very interesting ... I would have been tempted if England were NOT in the world cup !!

3. aspwatterson

All..

All tickets sold within 24 hours apparently! Somebody must be making a fortune out there touting I reckon!

andi

4. bigchris

Actually it was all tickets on the first batch that were sold, they are keeping some back to release closer to the date ... though I'm not sure why they are doing that !?

5. just jane

just jane Computer stained fingers

I think it was all the tickets sold in 24 hrs, the ones which will be in the resale will be ones which people return by not converting the deposit into a full price ticket.

6. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I can't understand how people can buy tickets nearly a year ahead for an event they don't even know who's playing at?:confused1:

7. bigchris

There speaks someone who has obviously never been to Glasto !! If you had been ( & enjoyed it ) then you would know that, people go for the experience and the vibe ... and as a bonus, they know that there's a good chance ( unless you are very picky ) that there will be some acts on that you like ... or ( hopefully there other people like me and my mates ? ) people who just go for the craic and very rarely see any bands at all !!

8. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Wrong! I have been in the past and this year did day and a half (think I posted on here too, about Blur).

As I have said before, I hate festivals and I NEVER go for 'the experience and the vibe', but to see maybe a small handful of artists - then I get out, quick!:D The two days at V @ Hylands last year was the longest I've ever spent at one, although did not camp!

9. bigchris

Ah well ... you are exactly the kind of person that they are trying NOT to attract !! That's why they don't announce the bands until all of the tickets are sold, they don't want people just turning up to see their favourite band and then sodding off home.

I can't believe that the first time I went ( well actually second, but that's another story ) with my mates, we actually went on the Friday after work and came back after the last act on the Sunday, as we didn't know better !! After that we started to go on the Wednesday ( once we actually turned up on the Tuesday and were told to sod off ) and then didn't leave until late on the Monday ... which was great, but nowadays they actually advertise the fact that it's a five day festival and encourage people to turn up on the Wednesday ... which probably means you loose out on the fact that you used to be able to get in without hours of queueing.

We haven't been ( or even tried to get tickets ) since they introduced the pre-registering scheme .... just seems like too much hard work to go ... and IMHO we actually prefer the smaller festivals ... roll on Off The Tracks in May !!

10. pete

pete I've got a zappy little nappy

you mean there are bands playing at glastonbury!!!

11. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Some modern bands are OK, but some are "Goddamn Racket!" merchants, palming themselves off as bands. I last went to Glastonbury in '93, with legends such as Van Morrison, Velvet Underground & Plant performing. it was a memorable week and all about the music and having a laugh for me. I agree that it is now mighty hardwork trying to obtain tickets, and often question if it's really about the music these days, or whether the kind of crowds they are now pulling, are using their "music" as some kind of fashion accessory! Either way IMHO, I don't think I'll be missing much if I don't make another Glasto..

12. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I was there too, it was my first and last time. I missed Lenny Kravitz due to being a bit errrrr.... 'docile' ;) but I recall Midnight Oil, Velvet Underground, and several others. The Orb impressed me, stood in a field with a flask of mulled wine at midnight, a stage light flashing into the heavens above, the birds all awake and singing... quite bizarre. I don't even remember Van Morrison! I wish you hadn't mentioned that now... to think I missed that! (saw him in San Francisco years later though).

13. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

My one and only Glastonbury was 1988 (I think). Van Morrison was at that one too. My main memories of it are of missing Richard Thompson's electric set because they changed the time. I'd seen the acoustic set in a tent somewhere and then retreated back to cars and tents, in a field located what seemed like 40 miles away. By the time I'd worked out what the familiar noises were that were being carried in the breeze, it was too late.

I also thought it was already too big. I can't imagine wanting to go again.

14. philmch

philmch I've got a zappy little nappy

Glastonbury ? Haven't been since 1989 and it had become an ugly commercial charade by that time.

It should be about this sort of thing not Amy chuffing Winehouse:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8vBn65wTR0

15. aspwatterson