1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has?

Discussion in 'General' started by aspwatterson, Sep 16, 2009.

1. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Has anyone actually done a decent song about Roy himself?

Rather than covering / copying him or his music...an actual deep insightful tribute to him? Perhaps an opportunity to do something more collaborative like Andy Roberts Ustream Tuesday telly project? I'm working on something at the moment but may need help with the lyrics and the musical flow.

For example something like " My sweet Roy...travelling boy... brought me so much meaningful joy" sorta thingy? Sorry that was crap!

andi

ps I presume the Clon crowd are in good company with Gav tonight eh? etc?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  2. philmch

philmch I've got a zappy little nappy

I take it that you've not heard Adam Leonard's The Great Roy Harper.

Phil.

3. aspwatterson

When....

When I posted I was thinking of AL's contribution as a classic examp... and belatedly thanks Paul for the wondeful Podcasts...preserved for popularity posterity.....

c/a

4. aspwatterson

This....

This is for BC's hangover in Ireland this morning...still waiting for full match report....:m2:

[youtube]DN85rbIiRcU[/youtube]

[youtube]aCvy-J5H59w[/youtube]

[youtube]46EbjMkeghE[/youtube]

So what's your best Youtube drinking song then?

[youtube]BIvka3SSv9Y[/youtube]

c/a

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  5. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

MISC. AnthROYpic

I've tried some lyrics too, Andi. Maybe one decent verse before it sounds like cornball crap.

A tribute, or a story type song? And it's hard to keep momentum when the second verse sucks. (Still, my Iranian Song is complete -- though I changed a verse I didn't update and it has so many barred sevenths I sound sloppy).

Here's several examples: (note: lyrics in no particular order and redundancies left in, as nothing is complete, or judiciously edited)

Born In Rusholme, Raised in England
    Living in Clonakilty
    Not Guilty, Not Guilty!

The Code is He's A Bit Off-Key
    Suffering REDUCED Insanity
    For the Sake of Society (or "Good of Humanity")

The Rest of Us, we're ALL insane
    Hide the Truth, Hide our Pain
    It's not the way GOD would plan it
    Roy's the sanest man on the PLANET

The Sage Hidden in Minstrel's Guise
    Harper's Truth through Musical Eyes
    Harper's not Bizarre, it seems
    A Muse and Poet of Truth and Dreams

I Just Want to say
    In My Own Peculiar Way
    Thank You, Mr. Harper
    For teaching me to Play

Roy Harper is Free Speech In A Bottle*
    (*see my IRAN lyrics)
    The Poet In Musical Form
    It May Be Cold When You're Outside
    Inside, between ears, you'll be warm. (or, Listen, what's the possible harm?)

To some, he's a hero
    To others, a muse
    ....confuse

ANDI, etal., these are what I found about ROY in my unused lyrics pile, so far. Go ahead and try them out, maybe we'll co-write a hit (it could happen...) about 90 degrees apart (measured longitudinally). You'll have to play Skiffle, I'll play Rhythm, maybe some lead and I'll sing the high notes if you can't.

Frankly, I don't care who contributes if it turns out to be GOOD and an honor for ROY.

"The Great Roy Harper" is in several of the podcasts at the beginning. It was a very good song, recording, so maybe we fans should produce a HIT ROY TRIBUTE ALBUM (if we ever get our acts together:m2:).

P.S. Platitudes, Paradigms
    Political Pass-Times
    No Reasons, No Rhymes
    (English Sailors Love Their Limes?)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  6. NoCelebrity

MISC. AnthROYpic

I've tried some lyrics too, Andi. Maybe one decent verse before it sounds like cornball crap.

A tribute, or a story type song? And it's hard to keep momentum when the second verse sucks. (Still, my Iranian Song is complete -- though I changed a verse I didn't update and it has so many barred sevenths I sound sloppy).

Here's several examples: (note: lyrics in no particular order and redundancies left in, as nothing is complete, or judiciously edited)

Born In Rusholme, Raised in England
    Living in Clonakilty
    Not Guilty, Not Guilty!

The Code is He's A Bit Off-Key
    Suffering REDUCED Insanity
    For the Sake of Society (or "Good of Humanity")

The Rest of Us, we're ALL insane
    Hide the Truth, Hide our Pain
    It's not the way GOD would plan it
    Roy's the sanest man on the PLANET

The Sage Hidden in Minstrel's Guise
    Harper's Truth through Musical Eyes
    Harper's not Bizarre, it seems
    A Muse and Poet of Truth and Dreams

I Just Want to say
    In My Own Peculiar Way
    Thank You, Mr. Harper
    For teaching me to Play

Roy Harper is Free Speech In A Bottle*
    (*see my IRAN lyrics)
    The Poet In Musical Form
    It May Be Cold When You're Outside
    Inside, between ears, you'll be warm. (or, Listen, what's the possible harm?)

To some, he's a hero
    To others, a muse
    ....confuse

ANDI, etal., these are what I found about ROY in my unused lyrics pile, so far. Go ahead and try them out, maybe we'll co-write a hit (it could happen...) about 90 degrees apart (measured longitudinally). You'll have to play Skiffle, I'll play Rhythm, maybe some lead and I'll sing the high notes if you can't.

Frankly, I don't care who contributes if it turns out to be GOOD and an honor for ROY.

"The Great Roy Harper" is in several of the podcasts at the beginning. It was a very good song, recording, so maybe we fans should produce a HIT ROY TRIBUTE ALBUM (if we ever get our acts together:m2:).

7. aspwatterson

Cornball crap?

Soz, I had to look that up presuming it was an Americanism..

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=115298&page=2

Quite pertinent actually....

Anyway my contribution would be more finding some fingerpicking acoustic guitar stuff that sounds like Roy but different and open to other experts that can mix and match like Adam Leonard ; or you NoCeleb! ; Andy Roberts etc. etc... who can take it to a worthy level of listenability.

Like Roy says the transition between writing poems/prose and then trans-lating/posing it into a piece that sounds like a soothing meaningful able-to-relate-to flowing intact song with natural choruses is extremely hard.

When Roy resorts to reciting spoken stuff on top of the music [like the intro to Lords Prayer] is some of his best in my mind: but the first question would have to be... is, are you are writing for a mass market so people find it appealing? Aiming for popularity or some form of fetish Royboy esotericism? If you start writing a sort of personal biography of him it may come across as some fan-based personal tribute of some hero who no one has ever heard of? Am I making sense? If it was a more generalised poetic statement of our thoughts and lives and how he has affected/infected us, it may be more conduicive and attract a wider response?

I've got a bit of Open C guitar stuff I'm working on which I'll stick up on Youtube this weekend and the following template of lyrics to rework with a little help from my friends...more of a sort of tribute to how Roy has influenced me/us through our present lifetimes...

When Paul first started this site I was very excited at the possibilities of interactive creativity and perhaps we are now reaching a level where it may be poss? The following is very embryonic and NC I do admire your efforts at not being frightened to put your nascent thoughts on here without trepidition.You've encouraged me. I came alone as me, just an idea....

The song for the man of ages

Dear Roy
    My sweet traveller
    Sunshine boy
    You arrived
    From the skies
    Somehow
    To cradle my innermost
    Wondering whys

You nurtured lonely
    Searchings for a way
    Through all those
    Labyrinthian days

You laid my insecurities
    There on a page
    Honest endeavours
    Like yours
    Mistakes portrayed

Sweet Roy
    When I lost the plot
    Completely disconnected
    You bared my innocence
    A non-ego detected
    In my quests <quintessence?>

I've watched you
    For some time now,
    From a distance,
    Same space, time and air
    We flew sometimes
    Not caring where

So sad sometimes
    So horribly wrong
    Remember happy moments
    Before songs predecease
    Yesterday long gone
    So long, so long... <go in peace?>

I'll remember you
    As a child of elfin nature
    Skipping over the stones
    Wise hippy trails
    Above their heads
    Skins and bones < skinning up bones?>

In my cosmic head
    Not wishing anybody dead....
    Roy, Roy
    Beautiful boy...

Goodnight sweet child
    Of the <our?> multiverse <multi-universe?>
    Always continue wild
    Longeavity through songs
    Carry on, just carousel <carouse?> on...
    Now the journey's
    Nearly done...

You are surrounded by love, love , love [In an FBI spoken megaphone voice?]

All you need is....etc.

andi

ps If I've lost this post coz I've stretched my limit I'll not be amused.How do I save it just in case?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  8. aspwatterson

Still working on it...

Sort of a cross between Beautiful Dreamer, Beautiful Boy [JL], Crazy Boy [NH],What a beautuful rambling mess, South Africa, Goodbye free Ireland, Miles Remain .... interspersed contrastwisely with some of those heavy descending bass Stormcock bits underneath and complimenting JP's stratospherical lead aiming-for the-stars?

I hope someone out there knows what I'm aiming at!? Coz I don't! Who knows where it can go?

Fascinating prog on Coldplay last night and how they just messed around without any deep musical knowhow and still came up with some haunting melodies.One of their biggest hits Yellow was a total surprise to them by all accounts.

Will revert later on Youtube when a bit more confident that there is actually something in the frying pan there which is not too poached sonically... may be just scrambled snippets to begin with to meld within someone else's toasting machine? Meanwhile back in the kitchen.. always at parties...baking the...

andi

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  9. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Andi and NC: you two are like peas from the same pod - separated by an ocean! Sure you're not related?!

NC, those lyrics would make a great rap.

10. HarperPR

I saw that South Bank on Coldplay. Never liked Yellow as much as Fix You - love the lyrics. The vid to that was interesting too, the way it was shot. Having seen the new Editors Papillon vid, I am wondering if it's the same director. Anyone know, perchance?

11. aspwatterson

Ongoing testing..one, two..several to go...

[youtube]iMubZ67I-4I[/youtube]

....as a virginal template, not too upset..loads of stuff to work out but basically got something to work on..obviously make it more simpler without getting distracted into other tangents / song / melodies...just love Open C sorry! As for lyrics, well....do you tend to think of choruses before verses or visaversa? Choruses tend to be the hook ...catching the fish...KISS! For get me not...

c/a

[youtube]Q-E45MYG0uY[/youtube]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  12. NoCelebrity

My "lyrics" aren't all golden at this stage (hence, the unused lyrics pile--also holds good lyrics without a solid idea for a melody). Kind of hoped people would figure out which lyrics even I don't like and substitute better ones. But I know how hesitant I am to "improve" another's lyrics...

For instance, how would Andi feel if I CUT his first verse to...

Dear Roy
    Sunshine Boy
    You arrived from the skies
    To cradle my innermost wondering whys

Couldn't someone come up with a better lyric than my
    "Inside between ears you'll be warm." ???

Surely the sentiment is appreciated, as I appreciate "Sweet Roy," but there is probably a better alternative, or sometimes just a better way to set up/use an uncomfortable lyric. I absolutely hated a lyric in my eponymous song ("No Celebrity") until I moved it around AFTER writing more lyrics.

13. NoCelebrity

Familiar Insanity?

Which Ocean?

Perhaps a comic rap?

C'mon, people, BE BOLD with your criticism.
    ("Don't be cruel..." thank you very much!)

14. aspwatterson

Just..

Just an Atlantic Ridge separating us! Few titantic icebergs to boot!

A couple of songs / poems I wrote years ago of other people remind me of Roy which may inspire :

My old man

I once knew an old man
    He was one that I knew
    And he seemed to know everything
    About what was happening

And his ears had heard all my fears
    And his eyes had seen every surprise
    Yes I once knew an old man
    He was one that I knew

You see I thought that I knew
    But I didn't ever really know
    And now I know that I knew
    Not what I knew / know anyway
    And now I am that old man
    And I am very confused

Nice to hear from you Noceleb...did you meet Nick in the end?

Making up songs is good fun and I suppose I should respond more properly when I take things more seriously oneday?! Please forgive me NC; don't mean to come across flippant. Soldier on sunshine boy....what's an ocean between friends?

Gandalf the wizard

Oh grant me great wise white beard
    As I approach you on bended knee
    The chalice of your intuition
    Humbly to beseech thee
    To accord me the passing time
    To garner a portion of your information

The background universal clock ticks away
    Moment by moment counting eternity
    In a faraway distant galaxy

Your thoughts rational
    Sometime illogical
    Veering, verging
    On the emotional

Bless the baby's head
    With the cross of Christ
    Couched in a peaceful bedcot
    For the long road ahead shot

Those deep, smiley eyes
    Observed so many lives
    Lies, hopes and fears
    Blood, sweat and tears

Dearest, dear Gandalf esquire
    My Chakras are wide open
    To all messages within, without
    Lotus candle of concentration
    Is burning a hole in my head
    Of truth without anymore doubt

Massaging my brain
    Umbrella against rain
    War, terrorism & pain
    God bless you all
    Especially the insane

Keep the inspiration going NC..it's lonely out there!

andi in here

ps Hey Rainbow's just come on line!

[youtube]0jSf8GguV88[/youtube]

[youtube]iab9YKocUcw[/youtube]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  15. aspwatterson

For NoCeleb..

[youtube]hBIGRBR0db0[/youtube]

[youtube]_xrshuC1ouw[/youtube]

[youtube]GJCqECUmx44[/youtube]

[youtube]8roIOH02pFQ[/youtube]

[youtube]NKurYGF0m2s[/youtube]

[youtube]y1plXReLols[/youtube]

c/a

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  16. NoCelebrity

For Andi

First, I'm sorry I've barely been on the Forum again recently, but it seems my DSL is just getting worse and worse, and the apple/airport barely reaches my computer either. Unlike some people who go on vacation to avoid the internet, I don't need a big excuse. PLUS, I've put off getting a new computer for a year now and finally ordered it this week.

Also, apologies to all my fellow October babies and Librans, who I've neglected to celebrate this year, so far!

Wow, Andi! I really like the lyric for "my old man" (I notice you reversed the order of the eyes and ears in the vid, intentional?). Since I saw it first as a reply in my email, I assumed it was inspired by Roy and our attempts to share some ideas. I hate to sound Mean in the same breath, but the music seems to be "in the early stages" (even if it's years old). Of course, my accompaniment is often an incomplete version as well.

I like your clever internal rhymes and the melodic/rhythmic repetition of similar words and sounds. The meaning conveys a universal sentiment without being corny or trite. Sometimes we write good lyrics and because they were easy to write, we question their value.

Do you have other parts in mind for other instruments, or are you begging for ideas?

17. NoCelebrity

Wow, took me over 1/4 hour to post the last reply. Was faster to copy, log out and start over. Att/Yahoo DSL has gotten so bad, at least with my 3 yr. old Powerbook and Safari.

18. aspwatterson

When..

When you get your new setup set up send me your email by a personal message or direct email.

chrs
    andi

aspwatterson@hotmail.com

[youtube]XDyznSfTx2c[/youtube]

[youtube]yA5xNRfX4ho&NR[/youtube]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  19. NoCelebrity

20. HarperPR

Well for a start you both subscribe to the Samuel Beckett school of never saying anything in a couple of sentences if you can do it in a few pages!:biggrin: Bit like me before I became a Twit!