1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with microsoft outlook

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shane, May 4, 2009.

1. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

my landlord uses outlook to get his emails but hes on dial up. is it possible to set outlook in such a way that attachments such as large pictures which take all day to download on dial up dont download unless he chooses it specifically? is there a setting that deletes mails from the webmail after theyve been downloaded? i suggested he just check the emails in the webmail interface rather than downloading them however the webmail appears to be completely empty even though thats the account the mails are being sent to.

thanks!

2. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Expect

Expect PD will come back with some sound common sense; I've just created a Google mail addy as he recommended and seems to have more add ons than Hotmail. Also still need to do Adblock with Google Chrome and/or Firefox to get rid of all those bleeding pop ups.

Andi waxing & waning between gibbous and maximus

[in recovery from getting pissed with
    BC! - got off at the wrong station again on the last available train from Putney - frigging Farnborough - and took an ageless aeon to get home - but it was worth it!! Most definitely!].

Tempted with Wednesday's penultimus gig near
    St Albans now. Better go and creep around my Bank Manager again...grovel, grovel...

Linn you were going to say something about Spiritual Healing, rummaged in your, bag, dropped something on the floor, then got distracted and didn't finish what you were going to say or do next. See if you can get the pics of the gig up on here?

BTW it wasn't a half moon over the
    Half Moon [did you get a pic of it?], it is technically [I think] called a recumbent quarter moon. Expect BC is still in a snoringly recumbent position at de mo unless he's snook back to the Bricky's Arms to finish orf last night's dregs from the Drinking for England competition.

Also very nice to meet
    SPB & partner [mother?] , DW & MrsDW.

Have not bumped in to Steve T on my travels yet to pay him back that fiver from Totton gig. Right! Time for my breakfast in the Baker's Arms. Well it is a Bank Holiday after all!! Toodlepips squeaks!! :m3: :coolgleamA: :auto:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009
  3. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Mailwasher is a spam filter program that looks at your email account before you invite it into your Outlook. You can delete or keep whatever you like. I've been using the free version for ages. If you pay up for the full version you can use it on more than one email account.

Find it here:

http://www.mailwasher.net/

4. Shane

thanks for that, i will have a look

5. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I don't have much to add except to say that friends don't let friends use Microsoft email products. I never have - I use Mozilla Thunderbird... anyway the mailwasher solution sounds like a good one...

6. Shane

i dont see whats so objectionable about just logging directly in to the email account rather than using outlook or thunderbird. anyway, i dont think change is likely for this case at this stage, i'd just like to make the current set up as usable as possible. he lost an old hotmail account a few years ago, and all the contacts in it, because he got a new computer and didnt know how to access his mail without using outlook on the old one.

by the way, did you make the podcast player that appears on the webpages yourself or did you find it online? im looking for something similar myself...

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  7. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I grabbed that from http://www.1pixelout.net/code/audio-player-wordpress-plugin/ - it's a wordpress plugin but works in other frameworks as well, more on the page there.

8. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Old MIT Unix-lovers saying: "Friends don't let friends do DOS" ;)

9. zlatan24

zlatan24 I've got a zappy little nappy

In Internet there is good tool which works with mails and helped me too-ost or pst file you are using is unavailable corrupt exchange server,as far as I know application is free and has many resources,software was developed to help you with damaged files in *.ost format,program is based on effective *.ost files recovery technology, that allows easily convert them to *.pst files, that can be opened by any mail client, compatible with Microsoft Outlook,allows to restore emails, contacts, tasks and calendars, encrypted in *.ost file,recover Exchange 2007 ost and restore your mail from all folders and subfolders,allows to recover all files separately: *.eml, *.vcf and *.txt files will be extracted and placed in the same folder.