1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas how to beat the credit crunch at home

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by aspwatterson, Jan 7, 2009.

1. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

How do you propose saving money this year?

In this weather who needs a deep freeze? Stick all the contents of your freezer in the the back shed in bags and save electric! Also gives you a chance to clean it out / defrost and throw all the out-of-date stuff out.

chrs
    andi

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I would suggest you carefully check you haven't got rats or mice first, Andi, before putting all your food in the shed, otherwise you may end up playing host to a lot of unwelcome guests!

Some tips:
    Phones:
    check your mobile company on the best deal they can offer you if on a pay monthly contract. They have un-publicised plans which can work out a lot cheaper. I cut my standard monthly tariff down by £16 and got an extra 50 free texts per month!
    BT. For those with old fashioned landlines and who are on a pension or receive some state benefit and make very few calls, opt for the BT Basic (I think that's what it's called). Rental charge per quarter about £12 plus you get £4.50 of free calls.

Utility bills. Those on low incomes, pension or benefits can get a reduction (think it's something like 10%) on gas and electricity bills. Ask your energy supplier.

Have a look at websites like these for money-saving discount vouchers
    http://www.vouchercodes.co.uk
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com

3. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

i'm going to spend, spend, spend!

well, someone's got to get the economy moving again!

4. aspwatterson

Council Tax

I'm currently investigating lower Council Tax charges for people who are on low income as well. I hadn't realised that they can be linked to income.Have already got my Water Meter for people who don't use much water and can cut their bill drastically. It does make you think before you turn the tap on.

chrs
    andi

5. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Anyone on a pension can get subsidised or even free wall or loft insulation. I think your local councils can put you in touch with the right people. I think this also goes for people on Job Seekers as well.

It's also possible to get some cash back or just money off your next bill if you give your utility suppliers the up to date reading on your meter. This of course could back fire if you are using more than has been estimated.

6. KarinB

KarinB Guest

Another great way, if you do a lot of shopping on the net, is to join Quidco.

http://www.quidco.com/

It's the web's cashback cooperative. It's free to join but once you start earning your cashback they keep £5 (admin fee) from your earnings every year you have earned something.

Since we joined in May '07, we have earned £223.

7. aspwatterson

Crunchie time

I think I'd be more worried about the thieves that are human actually here in this town!

chrs
    andi:gnorsi:.......on a mission

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  8. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

Ah, human vermin...!

9. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I've just printed my own rail ticket. Got a return to Brum for a tenner! As opposed to the cheapest from London at £19.50. Has anyone used these? It says that the barcode can be read by the gates...bet it doesn't work for me!

Anyone wanting cheapest rail fares, don't be fooled by Raileasy's '60% plus' cheaper advance fares. You find at the end that they add on charges for booking and for credit card. Go via the respective train operator, with no fees, at the same cost.

To where I wanted to go, the cheapest fare I could have got at this stage was £58. With this cheaper Brum ticket and a few changes admittedly, have got same journey for £35.10!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  10. aspwatterson

Just..

Just installed my own printing press to print Nick Harper tour tickets for free!! Contact www.aspw.scam/unlimited!

And get a goat/ sheep / rabbit / cow to save buying a lawn mower and using the electric / petrol this skimpy credit crunch summer. No one's got any money in..

c/a

PS In the papers today [sorry, yesterday] they talking about teaching Twitter at schools! Does that mean we all become Twit. Eds? Another good thread might be to ask what things you wish was on your syllabus at school etc. Me? I think it would be an A Level in how to make yourself happy; a degree in how to keep women happy;MSc in overseas bribery and tax evasion, and a Phd in Harperism and musical appreciation. What about you lot?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009