1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it legal or illegal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Oct 1, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I was reading some official printed notice (from some chartered body, but forgotten who) that was up on a board concerning copyright infringement on the net.

Read it through. Okay. All made sense. Then the last line, highlighted in white, I was drawn back to.

So all you clever bods, is this sentence below correct? Or is there - as I think - an n, i and an additional l needed in the middle? I kept looking at it and thinking no, that's not right, but then doubted myself as I wondered how it had got through.

BREACHING COPYRIGHT IS A LEGAL OFFENCE

2. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I've always understood that it was an offence, but civil rather than criminal meaning that the legal system treats it as a dispute between and enforced by private parties, as opposed to a criminal offence which is enforced by the state.

I happen to know that we have a barrister on the board, though I'm not sure how often she checks in. Perhaps she would care to comment :)

3. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Mentioned it to EL on MT just now but...

She says she ain't done IPR for a while and sounded a bit causticcautious!

chrs
    andi

4. HarperPR

I think you misunderstood. My query was just whether this sentence is correct:

BREACHING COPYRIGHT IS A LEGAL OFFENCE

shouldn't it be:

BREACHING COPYRIGHT IS AN ILLEGAL OFFENCE

or not?????????????? I am confused now!:biggrin:

5. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

That'll teach me not to scan-read forum messages while half asleep far too early in the morning :biggrin:

6. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

BREACHING COPYRIGHT IS AN OFFENCE

:wink:

(legal offence)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  7. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Just a bunch of legalese. I can't keep "civic" and "civil" offenses straight in this country. What is "breaching?" Is that the same as illegally copying or illegally using and claiming as your own? As far as I know, in the U.S. it is the responsibility of the copyright holder to protect their rights, not government.

Anyway, I think it is wrong to use someone else's creative work without their permission for your own personal gain. Do you copy a sound, a composition, a melody, or lyrics? Where is the line between referencing and direct plagiarism? Is it possible to violate your own copyright? (There have been cases, one involved a wildlife portrait artist who sold his paintings as originals, but so many looked virtually identical. He painted the same bird for the judge, and won the case.)

IMHO "My Sweet Lord" did not violate "He's So Fine" copyright -- three notes cannot be the basis for copyright ownership (Do rang do rang do rang, Alleluia!). The entire composition is more than the sum of its parts

8. HarperPR

Yes, both! Having had experience of it, it's a legal minefield too. I had large chunks of an article I wrote lifted and used by someone in a book he brought out some years afterwards. Making no acknowledgement to his source, it was portrayed as his own idea and words. Bastard! So I sued him. Luckily for me, this was going back some 18 years or so and when Legal Aid was difficult to obtain, but no way as hard as it is now, and I was lucky and got a certificate for the case.

It dragged on for some years with him claiming that I wrote the article for a magazine he produced at the time, hence I was an 'employee' and therefore he owned copyright. No, he most certainly did not. I was freelance and retained my copyright (as I still do. Kids, when you write something make sure that the commissioner does not do a rights grab, which is a very very common practise. It means that you can only sell once and then it's gone. Hold onto rights and you can, as I have done, re-sell. I sold a couple of pieces over and over, by selling Ist BSR and then second, third and even fourth).

I won in the end, but the litigation was a laborious and stressful procedure, and one I wouldn't recommend (very costly too these days). And even then it was another year before I got any money. We had bailiffs warrants out and heck knows what over the course of time. I knew I would get the money in the end as he was not likely to do a flit being quite well known in his field. My only satisfaction was that each time it was wacking another charge on his bill!

Moral of this story was partly not to mix business with pleasure (he had been a 'friend'), and be wary who you trust. I think I'm wiser with the former, but not so sure with the latter....

9. NoCelebrity

So glad I could Inspire you!

I was just continuing the loose interpretations of words for humor e.g. "legal/illegal offense" by asking for a stricter definition of "Breaching."

I agree so much with "Creative" rights. You certainly deserve credit (and money) for your work, HarperPR. As do we all!

We all quote, copy, use the creative product of others at times and in ways we don't think of as being dishonest because they are usually relatively petty. We discuss common opinions we've heard before, claiming them as OUR OWN.

I wish it could all be simpler... I'm curious how the prices paid for new/original creative materials will go in the apparent economic slowdown. How much more original work be sold directly by the artist online?

I'm curious whether the net will become more or less of a monopolistic/ oligopathic source for creative output, or more diverse/free enterprise...

10. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

so

if i go around doing lousy karaoke versions of say, roy harper songs... am i COMITTING AN OFFENCE?

11. NoCelebrity

The ISSUE was gray until now!

YES! But that's another issue...

12. HarperPR

Satriani v. Coldplay

Joe Satriani is suing Coldplay whom he says have copied his If I Could Fly on Viva La Vida.

Maybe this is one Critch could discourse on, being the Satriani expert. I've never heard him, but whether or not his work has been plagiarised I would guess this case will come down to who puts up the stronger legal team...

13. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Unfortunately, I've not heard the satriani song in question or the coldplay album! I'll work on it!

14. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

15. wobbly bob

my mate showed me a vid off youtube the other day (not sure if it's the same one, as i haven't followed your link, trav) it started with satch, then coldplay, then both together. i'm no musicologist, but it sounded pretty much note for note to me (the satch version has a couple of extra 'twiddly' notes, maybe). it was even in the same key!
    maybe they'd heard it somewhere, and subconciously regurgitated it, and honestly thought it was their own...?

but it's satch's tune alright!

16. wobbly bob

funny man...!

17. wobbly bob

18. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Certainly *VERY* similar there! I suspect that Satch might win this one - but it's not the money it's the publicity that'll really do him favours - ain't that right Ms PR?

19. wobbly bob

i'd take wealth over fame every time, but that's just me...!

20. NoCelebrity

Weren't you the one trying to be funny? I apologize in advance if you enjoy the humor of lousy Karaoke versions...