1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it legal or illegal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Oct 1, 2008.

1. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Checked the Youtube, but already had two new comparisons, and another song that sounded like it (with no copyright date I could find).

Don't know the whole version. The first three notes are clearly identical, but there is some difference in the following notes (SAT added more). Neither song seems particularly inspired, complex or progressive. Coldplay clearly owns the LYRICS. Simple song themes are frequently reused within more complicated COMPOSITIONS. A simple change in rhythm and/or "swing" can change the emotional response to the same notes.

This sounds like SATRIANI may well have a case. But I believe NO combination of 3 or 4 musical notes (in our diatonic scale) is left that hasn't been used a hundred times. If you both copy the same public domain source, that is not plagiarism. How much more of the Coldplay song is similar? Are there any different portions to either song?

Consider "MY SWEET LORD/HE'S SO FINE." Now consider "ALLELUIA/Do-rang, Do-rang, Do-rang" (second part of both songs is different). George H. did NOT plagiarize "He's So Fine."

RELATED:
    Political FREE SPEECH is protected in the US. OBAMA was recently criticized for using another's words in a speech. Even if he used another's words without permission, he broke no law.

2. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

none taken, or meant, my friend. apologies if the 'funny man' post came out wrong!
    if memory serves, i was trying to make a point about cover/tribute bands/artists making (at least part of) their living by performing other peoples works... and is that really any 'less wrong' than a guy downloading an album for free. i tend to refer to covers/tribute acts as 'karaoke'...

i could have made myself clearer!

3. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

No offense taken. I thought you were being polite just responding.

Clarity is not required, in fact it might draw attention to you as an oddball on THIS site:wink:. I was trying to give you credit for a clever witticism!