1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most under-rated band/album in your opinion?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by aspwatterson, Apr 23, 2010.

1. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Probably my reminiscing sensibilities would say bands like The Moody Blues and Stackbridge? Never really was a Twangophile but liked their famous stuff.

Missed the punk era being overseas at the time. Anyway anything after 1970 is popular pop in my humble opinion.

Early Moody Blues are amazing to listen to; with so much going on, that I took all for granted in those days. Probably profound influence on Pink Floyd and visaversa?

Most under-rated album, has to be, without a shadow of doubt, Love by Love. Welcome to my Nightmare, as an entity, by Alice Cooper ain't far behind. Brain Ferry gotta good whole album also which addicted me, but can't remember the name. As for Clannad, Dire Straits, well I'm drifting now reminiscing again....

andi

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  2. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  3. rorybefunky

rorybefunky I've got a zappy little nappy

tj&murphy

hiya trav and fellow harpernauts

brian dunn saying hello...will add more to this thread later.

go to tj&murhy myspace and listen to iron man....old dog. power of persuasion

ect...youtube the island of the saints video (done in 1 take) 4 mins to spare

they are playing the proud camden sunday 2nd may..5pm

brought them to norway last year..we done 3 gigs in 24hrs and they blew

everyone away...first album weary nights is a gem, 2nd album ready for release in july :)

big chris..shaun 1..linn...and all..hiya

vi snakkes.....brian. :)

4. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Hi Brian, good to see you here mate, glad you're on the mend, hope to meet you at a gig soon. Nick was telling me at the Preston gig, that he'd got his new Lowden from yourself , it does have a great tone :m8: Seen TJ & Murphy a couple of times now, they're pretty good musicians.

Take it easy..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
  5. aspwatterson

tj&murphy YT

[youtube]-FXLxDw9sjk[/youtube]

Gone off under-rated thread phps?In rectrospect I would have prefered to talk about favourite whole albums as entities phps? Stormcock being the classic and the first side of Lifemask mayb.

andi

6. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Days of Future Passed, fantastic even after all these years.

7. aspwatterson

MB - YTs

[youtube]0uDu4qzdNw0[/youtube]

8. Watcher

Watcher Computer stained fingers

Top band, my top album

Not the most under-rated band, far from it, but the most under-rated album by a phenomenonally rated band, is "Let it Be", frequently over the course of nearly 40 years rated by me as my favourite Beatles album (which actually means favourite album). It amazes and irks me that it is regularly dismissed by all and sundry (including various Beatles) as second or third rate. I have spent many an hour in a darkened room with my eyes closed letting the whole ambience of the album fill my head and transport me into the studio with the lads to share in the thrill of laying down some of the best tracks they wrote. "I've Got a Feeling", "Two of Us", Get Back", "Across the Universe", fantastic songs, and even the (comparatively) lesser tracks all have an immediacy that lets you feel as if you're really there; the throwaway snippets all add to the atmosphere. The only downside is the ommision of "Don't Let Me Down", one of Lennon's greats, but even that can be rectified with a blank disc and a bit of thought about where to insert it. I quite liked "Let it Be - Naked" but it doesn't have anywhere near the feel of the original album.

9. rorybefunky

rorybefunky I've got a zappy little nappy

the roots of led zep...

scouring my music archive yesterday,found the issue of mojo august 2004..
    anyway disc attached with above title...track listing-

1-little richard-long tall sally.
    2-garnet mimms-as long as i have you.
    3-robert johnson-travelling riverside blues.
    4-bukka white-shake em on down.
    5-santo & johnny-summertime.
    6-bert jansch-blackwater side.
    7-john renbourn-nobodys fault but mine.
    8-spirit-fresh garbage.
    9-muddy waters-you need love.
    10-howlin wolf-killing floor
    11-blind willie johnson-in my time of dying (jesus make up my dying bed )
    12-davey graham-she moved thru the bizzare/blue raga.
    13-joan baez-babe im gonna leave you.
    14-john fahey-dance of the inhabitants of the palace of king phillip xiv of spain.
    15-owen hand-she likes it.

now one has heard many of these tracks over the years, but i listened to
    the entire disc on the headphones...splendid! :)

so many roots/connections here also regarding roy/nick.

album worth checking out-madrugada-live at tralfamadore.
    (they get a lot of airplay on radio paradise...nice genuine people also )

brian.

10. aspwatterson

John Fahey snips

[youtube]Hziq6PRwKpE[/youtube]

[youtube]GVQyyWr9mlk[/youtube]

andi

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  11. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Not sure how one defines the "most underated" but I've just dug out my old vinyl copy of Roy Wood's Wizard Brew, which is imho a terrfiic album. there's a bit of all sorts of things in there. Everybody knows all the old Move/Roy Wood hits but when was any of this one last played on the radio?

12. aspwatterson

13. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

You can't go wrong with a cover like that, can you? (Apart from me missing a "z" from the title! :blushing:

14. Paracelsus

Paracelsus I've got a zappy little nappy

Anyone here listen to Bill Nelson, he's been producing some great music over the last several years.... and must easily be one of Britains most overlooked artist's. I just ordered 2 of his new cd's, Non-Stop Mystery Action......
    and Theatre Of Falling Leaves. I would reccomend And We Fell Into A Dream
    as a fine instrumental work,and Rosewood Volume 1 a nice mostly acoustic album...... if your interested you can hear some samples here.

http://www.billnelson.com/html/salon/index.php

15. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Trout Mask Replica

In my opinion, the most under-rated album of all time, in the annals of rock history, is Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band (Produced by Frank Zappa) for the many people that don't get it, it's probably the height of weird, to those that do, it's like an old friend and an album that just grows & grows on you over many years. I recently bought a hand painted original of the album sleeve by artist Cal Schenkel.

Attached Files:

16. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

The LEAST popular MOST under-rated over-stated HYPERBOLE!

As a young boy I loved "Higher and Higher" by the Moody Blues on "To our Children's..." and many other songs of theirs. But Andi, it seems to me they were fairly well rated over here. I'll accept they were slightly under-rated. But I can't figure out if they are the MOST slightly under-rated.

I'm guessing you like their lesser known songs better than their hits!
    Is "Just a Singer in a R&R Band" too pop for you?

----

"Radar Love" by Golden Earring. But I could nitpick this as being fairly well rated too, at least by people whose opinions I respect.

----

"Lake Shore Drive" by Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah (1974) because none of you have likely ever heard it. It was actually highly-rated on Chicago radio for about ten years.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  17. aspwatterson

I agree. The Beatles had such a profound effect, and we probably discount their phenomenal input, because we have heard their songs so much in the past. Let it Be was like a revelationary experience for me in my mind on a par with Roy, Pink Floyd et al.. I used to remember lovingly looking at the sleeve for hours whilst listening..

andi

18. aspwatterson

Yep!

Yep! Got a friend in East Oakley who can recite some of the lyrics ad verbatim, probably because he knows it's pointless listening to normal people like politicians promising change!

andi

ps YT's recommends :

[youtube]D9ylpAsPFMI[/youtube]

[youtube]KirfeA0JzbA[/youtube]

[youtube]XwqMKf7r7Xg[/youtube]

[youtube]QyOISEFlRyA[/youtube]

[youtube]bjNSmAl7hF0[/youtube]

[youtube]p3gQBMayJ8Y[/youtube]

[youtube]VVrUiuqm9Wo[/youtube]

[youtube]hkX7Q2J7k48[/youtube]

[youtube]a9XkWbKBs80[/youtube]

[youtube]cN3rtpB7y6w[/youtube]

[youtube]GxXgdhj7qnk[/youtube]

[youtube]OuMq9TdyP2Q[/youtube]

And, as a postscript, which I haven't worked out how to embed yet :

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7313145058892205023#

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7313145058892205023#docid=-2681342081768316071

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7313145058892205023#docid=-7770376462147213852

[youtube]pV1qhQRhk4g[/youtube]

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  19. aspwatterson

..continuuuuum...

[youtube]z1zsRRt1FWE[/youtube]

:m2::m3::m8:

[youtube]rcHfWkwXjng[/youtube]

[youtube]QFL047fmsgg[/youtube]

[youtube]Hc2y9X08tN8[/youtube]

[youtube]4t59S92GpTc[/youtube]

[youtube]fNAFClBagfs[/youtube]

[youtube]7J_pxjJ0JTM[/youtube]

[youtube]pM8_HuQ0b34[/youtube]

[youtube]gl__oecarsg[/youtube]

[youtube]7eCNLY7ezJo[/youtube]

andi

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  20. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

"The ugly flat yellow-orange Sodium Vapor lights make you want to die!

Thanks, Andi. But since they got rid of the "Pretty Blue Lights" in the early 1980s, the night drive home hasn't been the same.

Some nights, our southern sky looks like a cheesy sunset ALL NIGHT LONG!

I'm waiting for blue-white LEDs to replace the sodium vapor with even greater efficiency and the true beauty that was LSD (Lake Shore Drive for anyone else reading this) at night!

Plus, our eyes see better with blue-white light at night. The yellowy light makes it hard to adjust to moonlight or see in the dark.

Last edited: May 13, 2010