1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Top 5

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Jan 29, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Don't know what everyone else is listening to, singles wise? but these are my top 5 current must-hear-a-dozen-times-a-day'ers:

Elvis Ain't Dead - Scouting For Girls

Please Read The Letter -Robert Plant & Alison Krauss

The Cholera Well - Levellers

Mercy - Duffy

Chasing Pavements -Adele

2. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Plant & Krauss

'Please read the letter' was the one picked out as the best most listenable / likeable one on Raising Sand amongst several here in Basingtoke.

aw

3. HarperPR

It's a nice song, definitely.

Everyone should check out Duffy too. She is going to be big. The most amazing voice - very soulfu/bluesy/Dusty Springfield-ish. And Mercy is a fantastic dance track.

4. Sadfish

Sadfish I've got a zappy little nappy

1 - Act IV - Roddy Woomble

current top 40 (I usually listen from a production point of view for some reason whenever I hear songs)

2 - Timbaland Pts Onerepublic
    Apologize

3 - Newton Faulkner - Dream Catch Me

4- Scouting For Girls She's So Lovely

5 - Wombats Moving To New York

Others

Vision Thing - Any song from their forthcoming album ;)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  5. HarperPR

Love Apologize too. Try not to listen to NF too much!

I'm waiting for the Vision Thing vid!:biggrin:

6. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

PR, you will be well served by just listening to radio 2.
    Apart from the Levs, they're not playing that.

I don't like anything just right now. :p

7. Sadfish

As I said its more a production thing to me, I enjoy hearing different ways of recording guitars, its pretty nicely done on that track. I'm not a person hugger either, I tend to just pick a song I like by someone, and rarely listen to other tracks more than once. Some folks are album people but i'm a pure one of tracker, and won't ignore an artist due to their genre or anything like that.

You've got more chance of the Moon doing a music video.

[​IMG]

8. HarperPR

I listen to my friend Jan all the time - that's why I'm still up and rockin at 3am!:w00t:

You don't like anything right now? Are you in a bah humbug mood?!:(

9. Sadfish

Have you heard our music????? :D:D

10. HarperPR

YES!!! But what's that got to do with the price of fish?!

11. Sadfish

Then you will know what kind of a mood he generally is in. ;)

12. HarperPR

There seems to be a sudden wealth of incredibly good singles out there right now, hard to narrow to five, but currently:

In My Arms - Teddy Thompson (only heard recently but so bowled over by L+ R's son)

Stepping Stone - Duffy (she just gets better and better)

Love Is Noise - The Verve (the boys are back! Can't wait to see them Sat at V)

The Man Who Can't Be Moved - The Script

Late Arrival - Katy Lied (mates of mine who are a new, virtually unknown band and have got this debut single on Radio 2's playlist - and we all know how hard that is to achieve! :biggrin:)

13. aspwatterson

New thread perchance?

Songs that always make you cry because of the sweet emotion therein?

chr
    andi

14. HarperPR

I think you'll find we already have a thread for that on here!:D Do you have one that makes you go all sniffy then, andi?

15. aspwatterson

I know, I know...

The minute I posted my irrelevant crap I knew I shouldn't have hit that SEND button. Never mind I think coz I saw the 'Sadfish' flashup on my screen I got mooddy-poodys. Come on now, how can you go round calling yourself sadfish without infecting contagiously other people with your condition? Let's be real here now!! I thank you....

chrs
    andy

16. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Too Old to post FIVE

I'm curious if anyone over there listens to The Raconteurs. They are Jack White's new band. There's still the songs where you feel you/Jack have your finger in an electric socket, but there's a variety, from Hard to Hillbilly Rock. The single "Old Enough" is my fave from the CD.

Note: "Please Read The Letter" is written by Jimmy and Robert. It first appears on their album WALKING INTO CLARKSDALE and is faster and 1:31 shorter than the version by Robert P. and Alison Krauss.

Edited: Oops! Add Charlie Jones and Michael Lee to the "Letter" credits. Seems all four on the Album share equal credit for all songs.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  17. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

No idea what singles are about at present as I don't listen to the radio but I can agree that Duffy has a great voice and some good songs, if somewhat over-commercial production. I downloaded the latest Raconteurs album but haven't heard it yet, apart from one song, which was OK. My latest enthusiasms are African and Latin music and I've also been back-filling my CD catalogue, mainly with old Springsteen and U2 albums, but this Saturday, Zavvi had Cream's Disraeli Gears for #3, so that had to go into the mix :) So much music, so little time :-(

Bob

18. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Guilty pleasures:

Unaccountably, I like Adele's current one "Hometown Glory".
    Also the Script's "Man who can't be moved" is a good song I think.

Am I going all radio 2?!! I freaking hope not.

Quiz: Berth Rowley has a good voice but I find her a bit irritating, don't know why. Her main songwriting collaborator is another son of a famous Roy.....
    ?

19. HarperPR

You only 'think' The Script single is a good song - it's vunderbar. Their album has gone straight in at No 1 too.

Beth Rowley I do like as well. Is Ben really the son of the late Roy Castle? I didn't know that.

There's nowt wrong with Radio 2, lad!:D

20. HarperPR

And take a listen to Carbon/Silicon. Even if you didn't know who was behind the single This Is The News, the opening is so like Big Audio Dynamite's E=MC2 that you'd have to say Mick Jones was involved (he is) or it was a blatant lift.:biggrin: