1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nick @ The Cellars, Pompey

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by HarperPR, Jan 24, 2009.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

For attenders and listings, here's the spec:

March 21 2009
    The Cellars @ Eastney
    56 Cromwell Road
    Southsea
    PO4 9PN

£10

www.thecellars.co.uk

tel: 023 9282 6249

doors: 8pm
    support: The Visitors (8.45pm)
    Nick 9.30pm

Steve T - have sent you PM

2. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

...and I have replied.

Cheers.

3. SteveT

Nick Flyer.jpg

Here is the flyer for the Cellars gig (if I've followed the instructions correctly).

4. HarperPR

Lovely, Steve!:) I am going to add that around to Portsmouth where I can as well as flag up The Vs (cos they're worth it!). Saw you have it on your MySpace too.

Is Fratton well and truly flying (not to mention 'frying':biggrin:) now?

5. SteveT

There is some recalcitrance on the part of one particular public body but I shall attempt to remedy that on Friday.

6. HarperPR

Saturday March 21

Anyone not yet bought tickets? Remember it's a Saturday night so don't leave it until the last minute. Tell your friends - spread the word. New songs aired here, plus a chance to hear one of the south west's most talked about acts, The Visitors.

7. HarperPR

At the risk of repeating myself...I won't...just read post above! Be there.:biggrin:

8. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

just wondering ...

why the Oxford gig didn't get the same amount of attention from you, re plugging it ?!?

9. HarperPR

Might be a rowdy night in Pompey (with or without Andi!) if Portsmouth lose today!

On stage for Nick still 9.30/9.35, until he's hauled off.:)

10. SteveT

We should all be safe then. Not a brilliant game but very tense. Onward and upward.

11. HarperPR

Check out Steve's pics on his blog, if you haven't done so already.

And will you say a few words about the gig, Steve or maybe Andi will...please!:)

12. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Who ? Where ?

13. HarperPR

14. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Men behaving goodly

On the way to Eastney Cellars there is a wicked guitar shop in Highland Road where in the window is a £749 six guitar [electric] combo [imagine Jimmy Page's double necker times three]. Twelve string with two bass and three lead. Thought it would make a good stage prop for Nick. Would imagine you'd have to play it on your lap and tap the strings [or with a hammer like zither] or use a bottleneck, or all three! The Odeon where Roy used to play is now a park. Kings Theatre where Elton and The Who filmed Tommy is still there. South Parade pier which Ken Russel burnt down filming Tommy has regressed and the new rebuild very worn out and tacky already.

The venue is nice and cosy and a bit like the Debarras shrine where musical history drips off the walls. Not like Oxford which had more of a warehouse rave landscape about it. Some places you can almost feel the music retained from past performers which makes it atmospheric. Like old tea-stained cups which somehow make the drink taste better.Or niccotine stained curtains in a smoking den. A sonorous hanging in the air roomspin palpability.

There were several notices informing us that at acoustic nights you should show respect to the artist by listening to them and not talking. Duly observed by all and sundry/andi!

Nick was on form as per usual and seems to be really enjoying himself on this tour. Managed to get a signed CD of Bloodsongs and asked if I had upset anything in Oxford. He did not reply 'I salute the God within you', probably because we weren't in Nepal at the time, but said a very friendly 'Nah you're alright mate' which immediately lifted my weary brow. Had even taken my baseball cap off as a mark of respect but did not curtsey. In Pakistan they say 'Namashkar' with bowed head monk-like stances;uplifted hands joined aloft in prayer salute.

Took my old buddy Crossword Steve [no not Seasick Dave!] with me who thoroughly enjoyed it and was very impressed by the young chip off the old block. He wrote this piece afterwards :

" Around the 80's I met Roy Harper at the Oddfellows Hall in Portsmouth. I was drunk, rude and gave the guy a hard time! Nonetheless during the interval I got to speak to him and he gave me a :sifone: and all of his 'old' guitar strings (about fifty of them!). Whilst I was a crying moaning drunk he offered to allow me to come on tour with him to Canada. He was ill at the time and did Watford Gap with a skull-cap Mohican hair-do. I can only say that he made me feel good about myself and I truly believe that had I had the money to go on tour with him, he would have let me come along. However. I am glad that I did not achieve that moment because I would have been a drag. My respect for Mr.Roy Harper is as good as I'd give to anyman. As for Nick...well, absolutely stunning...what more can I say with just words as tools? Hippy hugs all round time!! "

c/a

PS - BC there were tables and chairs on the left side of the hall in Oxford. I'm glad NH didn't do his table hop dancing because I might have joined in with drunken gusto! The reason I did not dance was probably if I'd left the bar prop I would have fallen over! I offered to buy you a pint and admired you for your sensible driving head on by refusing. When I said Hi to you, you likewise did not say 'I salute the God within you' just an amiable 'Oh Dear!' All good fun mate. If I had long hair again I would let it down. Let my freak flag fly!!

PPS Presmably that was Steve T running around with the camera. Should have said hello but I was behaving myself!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  15. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Nice to read, glad you had a good time :D

16. SteveT

Don't do much running around these days. I was sat on the same stool with the big pillar as a backrest all night. Do you not remember me speaking to you as I was leaving?

17. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

We..

We were sitting right at the front on the right,but was a bit dark to read the Mephisto whilst appreciating both acts. Right behind a couple of your photo angles by the look of it.Then we moved to the rear of the bar where we could nip out for the odd fag; attempt to finish the next clue in the crossword,but by that time Nick had captivated us and couldn't do anymore. Sorry,if I don't remember conversing with you, but got Steve home safe with his terminal back problem without a taxi. He's suffering now. But we made it! Great night and good pics!

chrs
    andi