1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obscure song lyrics

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Jan 26, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

A Whiter Shade Of Pale
    Procol Harem

After hearing this song again recently, I have to ask: what's it about? Any Keith Reid fans here?

Who were the 16 vestal virgins and why were they leaving for the coast? Who was the miller and what was his tale? Who was 'wandering through my playing cards' and what's the significance?

Am I missing something? Love the song, but hey Alfie, what IS it all about?

2. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Awsop

Loads and loads of mind boggling tangential interpretations on Internet regarding this... including old Mistlethrush unravelling correspondence. Some songs are mystical in their mystery. Stairway to Heaven included, some of Roy's lyrical lines unsolvable [except when you're high and they seem to make perfect sense in your nowhere mind!], Kaptain Beefheart, Sid Barrett, Frankie goes to Zappa and Mr. Bill's ramblings!

aw:D

3. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Some excellent examples of some oldschool lyrical craftsmen there AW. I'm a big fan of all the above, I first got into Befheart at around the same time as Roy and FZ and have been a big fan of Syd Barret since my school days.

Beefhearts song titles do it for me, Big Eyed Beans From Venus, Lick My Decals Off Baby, and my alltime favourite song title Making Love To A Vampire With A monkey On My Knee - priceless..personally I love these crazy ramblings and have spent years trying to work some of them out without success I might add. I often think what in christs name were they thinking of when they put these albums out to the unsuspecting public - Barking!!

4. Hex

Hex I've got a zappy little nappy

1. http://www.unrv.com/culture/vestal-virgins.php

(Seems there are two missing).

2. http://www.luminarium.org/medlit/miller.htm

3. http://ruthannzaroff.com/wonderland/cards3.htm

(Best bet? who knows?)

5. HarperPR

Thanks, Hex, I quite enjoyed that little trip through the Romans, Chaucer and Alice In Wonderland! But how do all these fit in the context of the song? That's what I'm grappling with. I saw on one site that there was also an additional verse at one time to the song. That was incomprehensible as well!

6. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Beefheart Madness!

I was listening to some Captain Beefheart last night and it made me think of this thread and obscure lyrics, this is a track from Trout Mask Replica. It makes Procul Harem lyrics look very sane and clear in comparison and probably most other bands, but I love the flow and style of Beefheart and spend many hours listening to his ramblings! :D

Does anyone know of other artists that come close to Don Van Vliet?

Neon Meate Dream Of An Octafish

lucid tentacles test and sleeved
    and joined and jointed jade pointed
    diamond back patterns
    neon meate dream of an octafish
    artifact on rose petals
    and flesh petals and pots
    fack and feast and tubes tubs bulbs
    in jest incest injest injust in feast incest
    and specks and spreckled spreckled
    speckled speculation
    fedlocks waddling feast
    archaic faces frenzy
    ceramic fists artificial deceased
    and cists rancid buds burst
    dank drum and dung dust
    meate rose and hairs
    meaty dream wet meate
    limp damp rows
    peeled and felt fields and belts
    impaled on a demon
    mucus mules
    twat trot tra la
    tra la
    whalebone fields and belts
    whalebone farmhouse
    cavorts girdled in tatters a lite a dipped amidst
    squirming serum and semen
    and syrup and semen and serum
    stirrupped in syrup
    neon meate dream of an octafish

7. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

i have a soft spot for some of the lyrics on roger water's solo albums. The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking is the only one of his solo albums i would say is good, but its damn good! its often criticised for its dreary wordiness but i think many critics miss the humour in this album:

the lyrics for Perfect Sense on Amused to Death qre just strange... i particularly like the following lines which are sung by the fine-voiced woman he must have paid well to sing them:

8. pH

pH I've got a zappy little nappy

Okay, I'll bite.

'Siberian Khatru' from the Close to the Edge album by Yes. I heard them play it live - twice - and I'm still none the wiser. Great gigs, though.

Siberian Khatru

Sing, bird of prey;
    Beauty begins at the foot of you. do you believe the manner?
    Gold stainless nail,
    Torn through the distance of man
    As they regard the summit.

Even siberia goes through the motions.
    Hold out and hold up;
    Hold down the window. outbound, river,
    Hold out the morning that comes into view. bluetail, tailfly.
    River running right on over my head.

How does she sing?
    Who holds the ring? and ring and you will find me coming.
    Cold reigning king,
    Hold all the secrets from you
    As they produce the movement.

Even siberia goes through the motions.
    Hold out and hold up;
    Hold down the window. outbound, river,
    Hold out the morning that comes into view. bluetail, tailfly.
    River running right over the outboard, river,
    Bluetail, tailfly,
    Luther, in time.
    Doodndoodit, dah, dt-dt-dah.

Hold down the window;
    Hold out the morning that comes into view.
    Warm side, the tower;
    Green leaves reveal the heart spoken khatru.

Gold stainless nail,
    Torn through the distance of man as they regard the summit.
    Cold reigning king,
    Shelter the women that sing
    As they produce the movement.
    River running right on over,
    Then over my head. outboard, river.

Bluetail, tailfly,
    Luther, in time,
    Suntower, asking,
    Cover, lover,
    June cast, moon fast,
    As one changes,
    Heart gold, leaver,
    Soul mark, mover,
    Christian, changer,
    Called out, saviour,
    Moon gate, climber,
    Turn round, glider.

9. HarperPR

They wrote some weird stuff!:sleep:

I worked for them for awhile many years ago - I think it was about the time Rick came back - yet again! Strange days... Remember seeing them in the round at Wembley once. Can't say I was ever a fan, and some of them weren't the easiest musos to work for. :bored:

10. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Close to the Edge! Now there is a classic album, sure some of the lyrics are wierd but musically what a journey, a really powerful, emotional, amazing piece.

11. Cozmik

Cozmik I've got a zappy little nappy

I love Close To The Edge! It has gotta be up there in my top 10 albums. I think it was the best thing they ever did. I don't think they ever surpassed it? And they recorded it in one continuous take, rather than joining the various pieces up.

Regarding John Anderson's lyrics though? This little anecdote, may offer some insight?
    A few years back. A friend of mine, who is a great keyboard player and a total Proghead. went to see an audience with Rick Wakeman,
    During the gig, he would play various pieces from the course of his career and tell various muso-related stories, and, between songs, took questions from the audience.
    When Rick was asked about the whole Yes thing? He said of Jon Anderson that, "(He) was a lovely guy! But? That in all his years in the music business, he had never meet someone(Anderson) who was so totally dedicated to saving the planet. Whilst totally living on another one entirely, most of the time!?

12. HarperPR

Ha, that sounds like Rick! Jon was/is, but more in the Sting category. And if you're talking carbon footprints, which of course no one was back then, forget it. He, Jon, could be a difficult character. Steve was probably the easiest to deal with.