1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other artists I love....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Dec 10, 2007.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Can I start off a new thread with a bit of a plug for Amsterdam - band not city! Listen to them on MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/amsterdamhq) and see what you think. Unfortunately the new single 'Home' is not up there, but 'Does This Train Stop on Merseyside' is equally as good. They are billed as Pop/New Wave/Celtic (lot of the latter influence on 'Home').

They will be doing a live session on Janice Long's show on Radio 2 in the early hours (00.30) of this Wednesday (12th), and are currently on tour with Icicle Works (see you at Islington Academy if anyone is impressed enough!:biggrin:). I don't do their PR, but I am slightly biased as their frontman and writer, Ian, is a mate, plus I adore Does This Train (guess all the Scousers know Mathew Street, eh).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  2. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

May I do the same for Amplifico, Edinburgh's next mahoosive band :D
    http://www.myspace.com/amplifico
    Come see Donna from the band open for Aberfeldy next week at the Voodoo Rooms, and check out the band's new EP in the next few weeks (before their March album), you gotta sign up on their mailing list at www.amplifico.net to get the free download very soon :biggrin:

3. HarperPR

Did anyone hear Amsterdam? What a performance! Critch, did you mail in about them? I could have sworn she said something 'Critchley', about 1.20, just before or after Timbaland. I was texting Ian to tell him he was a bloody star, so wasn't paying real attention. Wow. Really happy!

4. HarperPR

Senses - a shameless plug!

As some of you know, I also work with a band from Coventry called Senses.

Check them out here and see what you think:

http://www.myspace.com/sensesmusic

The guys recently won - with over 1000 votes! - the listener review for the week on Xfm Manchester - where DJ Clint Boon has been bigging them up massively over the last weeks.

Now they are in the final, for the best of the best for the year.

Please, if you like them - or even if you don't! - vote for them here:

http://www.xfmmanchester.co.uk/Article.asp?id=524222

It's very simple - just click on their name at the bottom, and that's your vote cast.

Senses will be supporting The Enemy next year on tour. Before that they go back into the studio in January with Gavin Monaghan (Editors, The Twang, Idlewild, Kings of Leon, Morrissey...I could go on!) to work on their debut album. I am very very proud of them! They will be a band to watch out for in 2008.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  5. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Might of done - though I'm not sure! I do so much e-mailing and promoting... Honestly though, I don't think I did! And now my e-mail pop3 server thingy has gone down so I'm not sure when I can do any more. Keeps doing it too - at least every couple of months it seems to go down for a week. Grrr!

6. HarperPR

Thanks everyone who has been voting! And you can vote more than once - yippeeee! - if you use a different computer or phone. It closes December 23, so not long to get clicking. I like this, you can vote zillions - as I have done.:p

7. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Fico:D

Yea I've been patiently waiting for their CD to come out since gawd knows when in fact it may have been 2006 when they tried raising money by getting us fans to donate money to fund recording of the CD. I think they have worked their way two bass players in that time :)

8. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers

Crash My Model Car

Won't say they're necessarily my favourite, or that, yet, I love them, but this bunch put out some quite nice recorded sounds, have a crazy web site and a silly name, and come from one of the wilder places in the UK, and Iain Anderson has played their record on BBC Radio Scotland.

9. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Amplifico were featured on the BBC News when they launched their "webathon" to raise money for recording the soon to released CD 1st March 2008, so you can hear what they sound like.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_5190000/newsid_5193000/bb_rm_5193094.stm?scope=nolavconsole&tab=nolavconsole&q=band&edition=ukfs&mediaformat=bb_rm_&start=&order=

Not only is there an interview with Donna the lead singer, composer, keyboard player and general all round good egg (I know I met her pre Fico days at a friends party and we chatted about playing guitar n' stuff) but there is a wee bit of speel from me as well :blushing: I'm the guy with the glasses and says "you know" a lot :rofl:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  10. scotpaulabear

Graeme! I didn't realise you were a fellow Fico-ite! :w00t: :biggrin: Love your TV moment there!

I saw Donna supporting Aberfeldy t'other night and she were fab, especially her ukelele cover of 'All I Want for Christmas is You' :D Met her properly when Jan had her open for Clon's own Gavin Moore this year, she's such a doll, and I've been a huge 'Fico fan since I saw them open for the Tunstall in Dundee this summer...

So I'll be seeing you on the 1st of March for the launch gig then?? :D And come to the relaunched site too...
    http://www.amplifico.net

11. HarperPR

If anyone is still up in an hour's time - that's 00.30 Friday - the amazing Jack Savoretti is live in session on Janice Long's show, Radio 2. Well worth catching.

12. HarperPR

Jack is doing a Caffe Nero tour. Could this be an idea for Nick?! Maybe an autumn round of Pizza Huts - ha! ha! ha!

13. wessexy witch

wessexy witch I've got a zappy little nappy

I've seen Amsterdam suporting the Icicle Works in Brizzzzol.
    Very good!!
    :)

14. HarperPR

I think they'd go down a treat at BDays.

15. Uriel

Uriel I've got a zappy little nappy

http://www.myspace.com/littlelostdavid

Wouldn't put him in "love" category yet but very promising. I'll certainly get his EP when it appears. Stumbled across him live supporting Jon Gomm a few months ago and was impressed. He's got a really powerful voice that comes across brilliantly in a live setting. Not too bad recorded either, on the strenght of what he's put on MySpace.

16. HarperPR

3 Daft Monkeys anyone?!?!

Any takers for reviews?

17. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Are they monkeys?

Are they daft?

Are there 3 of them?

If the answer to any of there questions is yes, then i'll do a review!

18. HarperPR

That's not a bad opening hook. Check them on MySpace and come back to me.

19. scotpaulabear

Critch, 3DM are faboo - acoustic punk with fiddles and female vocals, and that kinda gets there but not quite :biggrin:

20. HarperPR

Critch, they play at the Citadel on March 1 - interested?;)