1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paula's American sports thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NoCelebrity, Sep 21, 2008.

1. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

What's to forgive? Any excuse to see Joni just getting better. My fault I don't stay caught up sometimes.

Thanks for the quick link. I'll have to check out the rest later. Focusing on Roy as the CUBS and SOX strive for a "World" Series showdown. This took me away from the BEARS as they try to collapse. Double Thanks, TMan!

Jack C.

2. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

You do mean Sox of the red variety rather than white, I hope? ;)

3. NoCelebrity

RED bleeds in the wash

Being from the "North Shore" of Chicago, I'm supposed to be a CUBS fan first, But I am and always will be a WHITE SOX fan, first (like Chicago's chief crook Mayor Daley). It is a dream that Chicago can have an all Chicago World Series. I won't mind if the Cubs beat us in seven this year (to end an exact 100-year drought) but it's looking like the SOX (either one) just aren't good enough in '07.

2005 was the first WHITE SOX World Series Visit (and victory) since the year I was born, 1959. The CUBS last lost it in 1945 (with WWII depleted teams).

I hope this doesn't also mean ROY is a RED SOX fan. BEAN- and CHI-Town both have large IRISH populations. Boston is barely our third biggest rival in Baseball, and all our rivalries are friendly, not like Soccer, er, Football!
    (Just returning the tease, SPBear!)

4. scotpaulabear

No probs NC, it's all good! I have a huge soft spot for both the Cubbies and the White Sox, and close friends who are rabid fans of both teams. I always root for Chi-town teams... unless we're playing them of course :wink:

Funnily enough Roy has rooted for the Red Sox in the recent Series and mentioned them in a Diary if I'm not mistaken, though I'm hoping he hasn't switched his allegiance to the Dodgers as he's a big Manny Rodriguez fan...

(see, baseball isn't off topic after all :wink: )

5. NoCelebrity

Seems to me the BO SOX just broke a long streak when they won a year or two back (or was that against the Yankees to get into the Series?). Maybe it is the Cubs' turn.

At least you're not YANKEES fans! :wink: And isn't Baseball too fast for you Brits? :biggrin:

What, no jokes about the BEARS! I got to meet PAPA BEAR George Halas many times as a kid (me, not him). Gale Sayers, Bobby Douglas (QB), Dick Butkus, and the late "Wally P"(ayton). In 1920, for one year, the Bears were the Decatur (Indiana) Staleys (Syrup mfg.). Papa Bear was Coach, Manager, Owner and Player at the beginning, and loaned/financed a few other early teams. The Chicago Cardinals (football) were in Chicago in 1920 when the NFL began, but they eventually moved.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  6. scotpaulabear

Oh, you missed this bit - I'm an ex-pat Bostonian stolen away by a persuasive Scotsman :biggrin: my mission now is to get as many Brits watching baseball as possible :wink:

But to be fair I don't "get" cricket, I've tried believe me! I think it serves a great purpose as a sleep aid on a warm sunny summer afternoon but that's about it :smilielol5:

And I'm not big on American football - that goes back to being in marching band in high school! - but I can't hear 'da Bears' without smiling, must be all those Saturday Night Live routines :wink:

7. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Personally, whenever I've watched baseball on the box I've found it incredibly tedious. Cricket is far far far more interesting!... and it inspired one of Roy's greatest songs, the one which probably gets him played on telly more than any other. American Football is tolerable but nothing like as good as rugby football, Aussie football, Gaelic football or Association Football, not that I watch those very much but C4 used to show them before my sportswatching was curtailed by SWMBO.

Bob

8. scotpaulabear

SWMBO (i.e., me!) in our house likes sport as much as himself (and he doesn't love American football either haha) - I keep telling him how lucky he is to have a girl wot loves footie :wink:

9. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

You're a rare and wonderful wee beastie :)

10. NoCelebrity

Spectator SPORTS

To be completely honest, I usually only leave sports on while I'm doing something, ANYTHING else. Most of our neighbors don't even follow professional sports. As a diabetic, I don't like to sit for hours on end. Baseball is supposed to be our national pass-time (misspelled for emphasis). More like waste-time. I see a fight break out, I just turn the whole thing off.

In school, I preferred to PLAY soccer or baseball, and played interscholastic LACROSSE for the exercise (I wasn't very good).

When I do watch, I'm often left wondering what the officials are thinking about, as it all begins to look like professional Wrestling after a while. And I wonder why there is always a SPORTS report on the local NEWS. How is playtime newsworthy?

Then the playoffs come, and I tend to forget the things I've said above, as it can be good fun for a while, if MY team is in the hunt.

Today, Chicago City Council is trying to ban alcohol sales during the last three innings of any game with the potential to clinch a series. Didn't happen when Mayor Daley's team won the Championship in 2005.

And almost no one speaks like "Da Bears" fans, unless they're imitating the SNL sketches, but it's all good fun. I tink dat wass more fer da New York audiensse.

Seems to me the Python did a sketch where a cricket player fell asleep and grew a Rip Van Winkle beard during his time "in the slot" (did I get the right term from "The Game?"). And PETER Davison (Doctor #5) played a game in an episode where he was asked "Doctor Who?"

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  11. Marcie

Marcie I've got a zappy little nappy

Perhaps I should join you in this mission? :wink:

From a fellow American ex-pat and former Chicagoan to boot (lived on the South Side - Paxton Ave., and in West Rogers Park - Talman Ave.)

12. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I was under the impression baseball was just cricket with cheap bats and peaked hats? Am I wrong?

13. scotpaulabear

*exaggerated eye roll*
    In a word, NO :cursing: :D

14. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I was under the impression baseball was just rounders with cheap bats and peaked hats? Am I wrong?

15. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Good luck with your mission Paula, you may need it here in England, I can't ever see the landlord of our local changing from the Premiership on his big screen to baseball.:biggrin: I was in Canada recently and it is massive over there, along with ice hockey. As for American football, I don't think we'll ever get what that's all about!

Cheers Shaun.

16. NoCelebrity

Ex-PATRIOTS fans?

I'm honored scotpaulabear (my Mom grew up in Beverly Hills, Chicago) and Marcie will associate with me. The rest of you non-ex-pats, too.

Must be ROY is bigger than sports!:hurray:

17. NoCelebrity

Touch every bag as you go 'round

Yes. The Base-path is SQUARE.

18. scotpaulabear

Considering the best coverage is on overnight, it'd have to be a lock-in anyway :wink: