1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Twitter?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, May 14, 2009.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Some (most?) of the tweets are pretty trivial. Some are quite funny, some interesting though and informative. A lot tend to do batches, ie Russell Brand did successive tweets the other week on all the top 10 trending topics. Calvin Harris likes to tweet on what he's had for brekkie, having no sleep and 2 day trip to Dubai and back! And the 'Russian' (?) meerkat bloke Orlov is v funny. As is Dom Joly, who tweeted while v pissed and then apologised the next day!

Yes, all human life is on Twitter! :biggrin:

2. telemonster

telemonster I've got a zappy little nappy

no, it isn't...

3. HarperPR

It IS...unless you live on the Barnsley/Rotherham border!:D

question: is it better to follow or to be followed?

4. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

12 hours of image-ination

Just listening to latest Pod and unfortunately no matter how much I absolutely love 12 hours of sunset can't stop thinking about those poor souls lost near the Bermuda Triangle last night flying into a storm...

In answer to your question Linn I'd think Russell would be branded the dominant and Steven Fry the submissive?

c/a

http://www.youtube.com/ASPWATTERSON

" used to.... :m14: :m17: think I wasn't mad...."

5. telemonster

i guess that depends...

6. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

2000 Miles

"...But now I know it's all I had/Can hope be lost or only seeming?"

Though the Airbus was lost more than 2000 miles away from the Bermuda Triangle (do all the Americas look alike to you Europeans?) that doesn't mean it wasn't "disappeared" by aliens :wink:eek:r flew over a patch of submarine methane ice that exploded under the plane to cause a perilous drop in lift. In fact, no large commercial airliner has EVER disappeared or accounted for a single loss of life passing through the Bermuda Triangle (all smaller jets, boats, etc. that were lost). Areas over land have worse records than the Bermuda Triangle.

Anyway, that song does seem to fit, though its not about a tragic loss of so much human life. The song doesn't mention underpaid, overworked and inexperienced pilots working for airlines doing everything to cut corners. Nor did it mention any Capt. Sullenburgers, either (Miracle on the Hudson).

As Shelley Berman once said: "Flying is the safest way to fly..."

7. HarperPR

I've done a bit to my Facebook thing, but in all honesty it doesn't grab me. All I seem to see is x is now friends with y, y wrote on x's wall, z is now a fan of so-and-so, and on. If anyone would like to give me some pluses in its favour...? Also, it's not as mobile friendly as Mspace and Twit, and when I'm at a PC I'm usually too busy with real work.

Twitter, on the other hand, I'm now really into, but largely as a networking/work tool. Have found certain people who, let's say, could be 'useful'!

8. HarperPR

I think I've found my spiritual home on Twitter! My mobile internet cut out for a couple of hours earlier this evening while I was out and all I could think about was how many interesting tweets I might be missing! Sad, I know.

Andi, do you know you can also post pix and videos via Twitpic?

9. HarperPR

Well, having been twittering now for a few months, the things I love and hate about it.

On the plus side, have made a couple of good friends. Got maybe four or five other good 'business' contacts. Have good tweets with another half dozen or so that I am on a similar wavelength with. A lot of those I follow are media related and I've found it both useful and informative on a number of levels. Some make me laugh a lot, some occasionally irritate too, but that's the nature of it I guess.

On the downside, I am sick to pigging hell of the spam followers and the 'see my sexy pics' (No, bloody thank you!) slappers, of which I must block at least 3 or 4 a day. A number of these seem to 'appear' legit by putting in what look like genuine tweets but aren't, and every other one is a 'sexy pics' tweet. I suppose to get around being banned. I also find it annoying that you can so easily miss replies from people. I have on several occasions happened to view someone's page and found a message to me that I missed. Unless I am checking it at least every hour, dozens and dozens of other tweets come in. I wish they had some kind of alert that said 'you have had X tweets in the last X hour' or some such.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  10. aspwatterson

So...?

No Common Sense Computing Samantha FireyFox Adblock spammage sewerage filters then?

c/a The world's a twitter! Then she ran off with the carpet fitter!

11. HarperPR

Eh???

On the whole, I have to say I love Twitter though. Love the immediacy of it. I am bored - as many are - with MySpace, and Facebook is a pain. Anyone know why I suddenly can't post status updates on there? Can send messages and do other stuff.

12. aspwatterson

On the moment...

Immediacy is only a temporary Orgasum...ask Roy!

c/a

13. HarperPR

14. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

15. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I agree it is a good CD cover ... but unfortunatley IMHO ( so far ... here's hoping it grows on me ) it's much better than what is recorded on the actual CD !! Their first CD grabbed me by the *****'s and I thought it was excellent and additictive listening material ... but alas so far so not good for their second CD !!

16. HarperPR

Was hoping to avoid this!

Reviews have been largely poor. Glad you didn't read the NME today before you bought it, chris! This is just unbelievable in its attack and sounds more like a personal gripe by the reviewer towards the band. A lot of people have been shocked at the vitriol. Even the Guardian's music editor has come out in their support. A campaign has been mounted (nothing to do with me...much! Haha!) against the NME via Twitter. They have received A LOT of mail to their letters page, I can tell you!

For me the two tracks which stand out are Back Where We Started and Answer My Call. But love Rubble and Another Bus too.

Link here to the band and Temper talking about the album and cover inspiration:
    http://bit.ly/uiUUV

And for those who can pick up LBC radio, friend and Twang fan Richard O'Hagan on at 7am tomorrow talking to Nick Ferrari about this http://ow.ly/j9u6
    and we've got a wager on for him to mention The Twang in the course of the interview! He'll never do it - but I shall try and be awake in time, although am usually just falling asleep at that time, not getting up.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  17. aspwatterson

That's clever!

LPR/

You've got your Twitter embedded on your Myspace. Does that kill one bird with two stones or visacersa?

Twang sold out gig in B'ham eh? Maybe something to do with accents and how others jaundice view them? Thank god I'm internationally impartial. Reverend looks good as well. Tell them about the Int Guitar Festy coming up in Clon if they don't know already. Guitars everywhere - on the streets, parks, pubs & clubs by all accounts....

andi

18. HarperPR

Well, it was a new fangled widget I thought I'd try! Not doing much twittering though since Twitter's still having API issues. I'm wondering who I can sue for mental stress!:D

The Twang always sell out hometown gigs - within DAYS! This is kind of a Zoot Management 2-nighter at the new Academy venue with Editors the night before.

19. telemonster

one bird with 2 stones... hahaha.... nice one!

20. HarperPR

Today on Twitter was Calvin Harris meltdown day. Twelve or 13 consecutive tweets lambasting music critics, in particular today's Guardian review. But he didn't say by name, so everyone was asking which review it was. By the afternoon the Guardian's music editor had blogged in response on the Guardian site, and The Twang had said the Guardian were posh divs. What a fun day! Did feel a bit for Calvin - he's only bloody 25 after all, and look at what he's achieved in just a few years. And he's got Kylie tweeting him. :biggrin: