1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The next gig I'm going to is...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Dec 11, 2007.

1. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Dave!

Are you going to the Levellers/Nick Harper Albert Hall thingy?

Andi [remembering a soggy tent in a soggy field at Clon 2007!]

2. Roydan

Roydan Computer stained fingers

I'm off to see Eliza Carthy in Bury at The Met on Saturday 20th September. Should be a gooden, also got tickets to see Leonard Cohen in November which should be good also.

3. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

4. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Wow - that should be good. I've been enjoying the deluxe reissue of Argus recently :) Last time I saw Tony McPhee he was in excellent form.... and Focus 3 is one of my favourite albums of the period.

Bob

5. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

The next gig I'm going to isn't the one I was hoping, because I didn't get around to ordering the tickets before it was too late. Which gig is next is, as yet, unknown to me...

Bob

6. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

7. bigchris

Ignore my previous message ... just had a phone call about a "secret" gig at DeBarras tomorrow night ... to see the uncle of someone who has supported Roy ... and I am SO SO SO CHUFFING EXCITED !!!!!

8. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Sounds brilliant, assuming it's who I think it is :)

9. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I wish I could be there on the 18th! :D

10. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

OOOOOOOOOOH I take it that's the uncle with the same name :hurray:

11. aspwatterson

Step on a steam train,step out of the driving rain..

Chuff chuff!!

andi

12. pixiefitz

pixiefitz I've got a zappy little nappy

secret gig

If it's who I think it is, FANTASTIC!!! Did you go Chris, and if so, can we have a first hand review please? :D

13. bigchris

Yes I did go .... but firstly let me just get this off my chest ... in response to TravellerMan's response about the gig on the 18th ... PIERRE BENSUSAN

Well I must say he is an amazing guitarist ... very intricate and clever stuff ... but Oh boy ... I have never met anyone so up their own a r s e ... we managed about 3 songs before we had to retreat to the bar in the other room !! I think you HAVE to be a guitarist to really appreciate his music ... we are not guitarists ... and that's probably why we found it incredibly boring !!

So back on to the real deal ... for those who have not worked it out ... it was indeed the one and only Christy Moore !! I've seen Christy a few times in large 5000+ venues ... so to get the chance to see him on the front row of only about 100 folk was an absolute treat !!

The story behind the gig, was that he and Declan Sinnott were recording some new material down the road in Bandon and decided that they would like to try some out in front of a crowd ... so Christy phones up Bobbie ( owner of DeBarras ) and asked if they could play on the Saturday ( only 36 hours notice ). Bobbie obviously said yes ... and kicked off the band that were supposed to play ... charged 30 euroes on the door and closed the bar for 3 hours ( cos Christy dunt like people drinking at his gigs anymore ). No other artist would be allowed to stop Debarras selling beer on a Saturday night ... but Christy is THAT special !!

Gavin started the night off ... stating that there had been a spelling mistake on the posters and that it was indeed him, that we had paid 30e for ... yeah right !! He sang a few ditties .... before the main man came on stage. Now, I can't give you a set list ... but he played a massive set of some old and new material ... and the atmosphere was electric. It was deadly silent when it needed to be ( I suppose that was helped by the fact that everyone was sober(ish) ) though he did play a few songs that people could sing along to.

There was a bit of banter from some guys up stairs, requesting songs ... that Christy played ... though one guy didn't know when to shut up ... and Christy just said "that he had had a great night in Debarras ... and he didn't want to fall asleep tonight thinking of him" - and that did the trick !!

Overall ... it was easily one of the best gigs I have seen in DeBarras ( if not anywhere ) ... and at the time I thought the Guitar Festival the following week had to produce something amazing to beat that gig ... and it surely did ... no one actual gig was better than Christy ... but over the whole weekend it was just brillinat stuff ... much more diverse from previous years ... including a couple of heavy metal acts ( one called Tucan - if you like Rodrigo Y Gabriella ; then you'll love these guys ), some classical, some blues ... both real ... and sleazy ( Bob Log III !!! ), folky, country, jazzy .. in fact pretty much every guitar style you could think off !!

I've said it before ( and I'm saying it again now ) that the Clonakilty Guitar festival ... is an excellent festival ... well Clon is on it's own ... but the festival is so well organised ... I've already booked my holidays for next year's festival ... and I can't chuffing wait !!

14. pixiefitz

pixiefitz I've got a zappy little nappy

Brilliant review - thanks Chris :biggrin:. Now I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing him in October at the Liverpool Philharmonic - not that I wasn't already :hurray:

15. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Hmm... maybe it's just me but that seems a bit off, doesn't it? He could at least have had them do some support stuff for him or something like that. Bit rude if you ask me. Maybe that's just my polite English sense of fair play coming out :)

16. bigchris

Well actually it wasn't as bad as that ... when Bobbie phoned up the band ( Gasoline Rainbow ) to cancel them ... they were surprised about the phone call ... because no one had actually phoned them to confirm their booking in the first place ... so in their eyes they weren't supposed to be playing anyway !!

17. bigchris

the next gig I'm off to is still over a month away ... but really looking forward to it ... Antony and The Johnsons ... the guys got just an amazing voice ... and to hear it with the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]London Symphony Orchestra ... should be something very special !!!

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?ID=7760

[/FONT]

18. wessexy witch

wessexy witch I've got a zappy little nappy

I'm going to New York Alcoholic Anxiety Attack on Saturday at The Bridge House,Canning Town.

:m3:

19. aspwatterson

By the sound of it?

Good luck, safe as you go, and all who endeavour to sail within you!
    One day at a time, think , think think...don't drink, drink, drink!

andi :iamwithstupid: :(

20. bigchris

Best Band Ever ( IMHO ) !!

off to see my fave band tomorrow night @ The Wycombe Swan ... FOCUS !! Looks to be a great night of serious prog-rock ... The Groundhogs ... followed by Wishbone Ash ( not seen them in 20 years ! ) and then the best dutch prog-rock band ever ... Focus !!!