1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Surveillance Society & Big Brother

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Travellerman, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I went to the coast yesterday (Hastings) and found myself confronted by a Police Van parked in the middle of the shopping centre. Atop the van were little CCTV cameras observing the streets and it incensed me! I walked up to the van and had a look over it, one black window in the back, but I was so utterly disgusted and so furious I daren't knock on the window and ask wtf they were up to.

If there's a problem in the area then why not take the cops out of the van (presumably they were cops though these days they may be some kind of 'civilian staff') and place them on the street, in their uniform and on the beat. Big Brother was something we used to joke about, but I'm beginning to think we really are absolutely headed there - and not enough question or fight it.

Here's another tale of distasteful madness:- http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/25/world/europe/25surveillance.html?_r=1

And then there's the census... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8324746.stm

...and to think I almost put myself back on the electoral register after 16 years. Hmmmm, I think I prefer my anonymity, what's left of it.

"...So fill all the forms in
    With misinformation and vanish...:D"​

2. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Who Points the Camera?

"Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither!" Ben Franklin.

I don't always mind the cameras in public places... With many exceptions!

What I mind is they are often hidden, they never show the complete story, nor when the evidence is presented, you are no longer allowed to confront your accuser (a camera and/or mike). The compulsion to confess when evidence for your defense is missing is strong. The evidence is often unseen, ignored, omitted, destroyed, or lost before it comes to the defendant's attention.

Why is it when people are coerced into a false confession it is not considered subornation of perjury?

All these points (and TM's) scare people because they suggest a conspiracy of some kind, and conspiracy theorists are treated as nut cases.

I was falsely accused over twenty years ago based on a hidden vid that cropped out exonerating evidence. Fortunately, I had other evidence. The accusation was withdrawn immediately without an apology. The six-foot-five security guard began to sweat profusely, threatened and pushed me off camera, and was gone two minutes later!

There was never any public record of the incident!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  3. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I think most of you know what I think about the surveillance society based on my long-held admiration for Patrick McGoohan and his unsurpassed "The Prisoner". (I am perturbed that a remake is due out next month, though with Ian McKellen as number two it can't be that bad... can it?)

It's just amazing that so many people have willingly bought into being snooped upon and controlled in the interest of "security".

“Unlike me, many of you have accepted the situation of your imprisonment and will die here like rotten cabbages.”

4. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

There was a lot of interesting/scary stuff about surveillance on "domestic extremists" in The Grauniad today:

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/oct/25/spotter-cards>

This piece is by Mark Thomas who featured in the "spotter cards".

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/libertycentral/2009/oct/25/doth-i-protest-too-much>

I expect that van in Hastings was on the look-out for people opposing the closure of the local library or something equally subversive.

5. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Bbiwy

Big Brother

Surveillance in the walls
    Could be you
    They are looking for
    Don't get para
    It's all surrounding
    Watch you & me
    For sure

We have to live
    Alongside one another
    Whatever it's for

So lose yourself
    Within yourself
    Let music surround
    We all must be
    From some form
    Of common ground

When you feel outside
    Yourself on a drifting day
    There are moments
    When you are amazing
    Things to say

Remember those times
    When the feelings flow
    Because the times that last
    Know one will ever know

No one will ever know....wow....wow....

But the Central Interlocutioner is here scrutinsing your every planet move now and beyond

Beware and God bless CCTV !!

c/a

6. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

it seems most people welcome all the secret eyes as they make them feel safer. theres quite a detailed record of all my movements thanks to my pocket electronic tagging device/mobile phone.

7. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I agree w/ all of the above, Mr. pd (aka Number One).

I wonder how many believe none of the negative possibilities we can imagine will ever happen to them. When I was a young child being harassed by the bullies, I used to wish for some all-seeing surveillance, thinking surely the adults would believe me then. As we grew up, it was obvious the adults simply didn't want the bother.

Soon, digital fakes will be virtually perfect, and a very few experts will protect the integrity of the underlying digital codes used to verify everything done by computer. A big enough conspiracy (the "consumer" in the broadest sense is the most likely target, followed by politics) may succeed, or it might just bring out the public revolt necessary to fix things--probably for only a very short while.

With so many avenues of instantaneous digital communication (in a "open" society like/unlike Iraq) the possibilities of a sudden revolt against the powers that be may be our only salvation.

Pardon my ramble...

I also notice how Chicago's Mayor Daley has taken to the idea of street corner cameras almost as much as London has. I guess we have to speak out loudly before the idea spreads to in-home, in-bedroom, in-toilet monitoring!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  8. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers