1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US celebrates!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Nov 5, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I see you're here, NC - are you raising a glass to your new Pres?!

2. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Teotwawki

Check out my BLOG post with above title! I'm a moderate Libertarian who never votes a straight ticket. I think we're ready...

A toast to the world for their love and patience!

Did you see the city all lit up?

3. NoCelebrity

100 daze!

Just realized. Around May 1st, 2009, after the 100 day honeymoon with the Press, will they start complaining that OBAMA isn't Black enough to be the first Black President?

"Discuss amongst yourselves..."

4. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers

Me? Cynical?

Of course, I am absolutely delighted, and then some, that the Bush era is about to end, and that McCain and the unspeakably awful Ms Palin ( I bet she hates being called "Ms") have been crushed.

But ...

I just wonder if people, particularly on the Europe side of the pond, are celebrating Obama JUST because he isn't GW, isn't McCain or Palin and is Black (if that's what he wants to call himself).

I do wonder, too, how many of us - myself included - know anything about his policies and how he intends to implement them.

Beyond his Bob the Builder speech and his summoning up of American political ghosts from Lincoln through Roosevelt to King, in some impressive rhetoric, I feel I do not have much to go on.

Thus I plead to be allowed to reserve judgement at least until 100 days, if not beyond.

We shall see.

5. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

I'm giving him (more than) the benefit of the doubt, because he's intelligent and a great orator (what a switch eh :D ), and everyone said Kennedy was young and inexperienced, but see what he achieved...

Yeah okay I could have used more concrete info, but do check out his half-hour 'infomercial' on Youtube (username may be barackobama.com ) and it does have some great ideas... we'll see how he funds them!

*Paula does the happy dance of Republican and ultra-conservative humiliation* :D

6. Wee Steve

Don't take this the wrong way ...

It's just my cynicism showing, but:

Margaret Thatcher made some impressive speeches.
    Ronald Reagan was the Great Communicator.
    Adolf Hitler was intelligent and a great orator.
    Some say Kennedy's reputation benefited from his assassination, and we do not know what would have happened if his presidency had run its course.

All I'm really saying is that I want more substance, and we can't have that until the stables have been flushed clean in January.

7. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

8. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I think we did raise Kennedy up with all the Camelot thing. I will just say Bay of Pigs and remember how close we were to another war then.

With Obama it feels the same: that people were desperate for a change after Bush. I do have concerns about Obama's lack of experience and his intention of employing more US troops in Afghanistan though, which will inevitably will mean our sending more out as well. I also fear that he could well become an assassination target.

9. NoCelebrity

Hopeful, not delusional

Right now, Barack is as much a Symbol as he is Substance. Too bad we don't demand more of our media and our public/government reps before the vote.

He has promised to reach across the aisle, and now that the posturing is over, I believe we will see a more moderate President than we were told to expect.

He has appealed to Gen. Colin Powell, (who would have been the first Black Republican President if he dared to run), Warren Buffett (free market capitalist) and Oprah -- he has broad appeal. He has a wealth of potential advisors to choose from, unlike "W" who didn't seem to even ask his dad for advice.

Barack is confident and thoughtful and seems to listen to all points of view before making decisions. He is faithful to his friends, his promises, even those who disappoint him.

While he is a clear improvement over Bush II, that may not be enough to guide us through our latest round of troubles. If he inspires us to be better, that alone will be an improvement

10. Wee Steve

Throwing Oil Into My Blazing Memories

Without casting off my protective layer of cynicism, I can see where Obama is pointing, and I can only hope that the vision is not misplaced nor the expectations exaggerated, nor that the flood of circumstance will wash away the hope in a surge of cynical realism.

As I said: allow me a few more than 100 days to make up my mind, and allow Obama at least his first term.

Meanwhile, Medvedeev places missles in the Baltic, Tehran expresses serious doubts, Israel and the Palestinians move back towards hostilities (they must have lost GW's road map), share prices continue to tumble, the Taliban become ever more resurgent and the planet drifts on towards meltdown.

Shish. Some welcome, some agenda.

11. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

I, too, think Obama is wonderfully impressive in many ways. What a change to have someone who can express himself well. He is inspirational but now needs to prove himself with substance. Tony Blair's first 100 days were wonderful. It was a letdown from then on, so I think Obama will need at least a year to convince us: but until then , I'm rooting for him to do it.

12. NoCelebrity

First Act Dubious

Sadly, Picking Rahm Emmanuel to be his Chief of Staff leaves a lot to be desired on the other side of the fence. He's tough, but too closely tied to Chicago's Mayor Daley and Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich -- both under investigation by Federal investigators for years. Wonder if the new Attorney General will quash these investigations for old cronies, or if Barack will let them do their job?

Waiting to see the entire Cabinet makeup for a better picture.

13. Wee Steve

Oh dear ...

Not that I trust Wikipedia, but it makes the sort of uncomfortable reading about Rahm Emmanuel that makes me hate my own cynicism for being too well-directed.

We shall see what we shall see.

14. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Perhaps...

Perhaps Im being prematurely, optimistically naive but I think the guy Obama may have some Formula mileage in him to change the world, particularly USofA, a bit??

chrs
    andi :confused1: :confused1: :confused1:

15. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

ok, last time i looked, he was 50% white! crikey, i'm blacker than that after a fortnight in spain!!!

anyway, i was bored of the whole u.s. election 21 months ago. does anyone know why the brittish media wastes so much time on a foreign election? is it in preference to telling us some REAL news that affects 'us' directly? cover up?
    i know what happens over there, has an effect on what happens over here, upto a point, but come on! it's ridiculous, the saturation coverage the u.s. gets on our media. i'd rather hear more about what's happening in parts of england and scotland than all that 'non-news'.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  16. Green Man

Green Man Guest

^ :D LOL!

Fantastic, fantastic news. Let's hope he can deliver (I'm optimistic).

17. NoCelebrity

Tonight @ 10, More of the same

Were you being rhetorical? (Ironically, that's a political device...)
    The media do have important time slots to fill, even if they don't have any news of real substance...

18. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

i was being totally straight, open and honest. i meant, and stand by, every word.
    :thumbup1:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008