1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What on earth...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Nov 24, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Watched the first C4 5-part series Catastrophe earlier which is going through all the major catastrophes that have shaped the Earth (it's the Ice Age next week, folks). Very interesting and lots of CGI effects.

This first one started with the planet Theia crashing into the Earth, causing debris and fragments to be blasted off the Earth's crust and which eventually formed into the Moon. (I remember telling Nick that once, to which I received one of those, 'She doesn't know what she's talking about!' looks. Ha, I knew I was right though! :biggrin:)

What they mentioned in this programme tonight, but didn't go into, was that the Moon is every year moving three-point-something centimetres away from the Earth. What I wanted to know is what will the effects to Earth be when it does eventually move right out of our orbit entirely? Anyone know?

2. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

Roy will have new imagery to write about... :biggrin:

3. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

it's the moon's gravitational pull that makes the tides do their thing, so it'll affect the tides somehow, but don't ask ME how! maybe the seas will be less 'tidal'...?

the moon also affects women's moods, so i believe...

4. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Fascinating programme [we are all accidents!]

Have been interested in what is going on up there since late teenage. Was never enthused by it or anyone in my childhood until then for some reason. Managed to meet Sir Patrick Moore [moon expert] in early 70's and he convinced us that there were obviously other life forms out there in the Universe as statistically it made total sense even though the Earth's position is incredibly unique. Especially with the Theia collision hypothesis.

Am on the verge of joining the Basingstoke Astronomical Society again where you can use all their equipment and observatories and wrap up warm on wintery nights and marvel at the heavens.

There was a similar programme recently about the same subject actually which aroused my attention once again.

Anway I've found the following links which may help regarding the moon's future but not women's behaviour! :

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/kids_space/moon_orbit.html&edu=high

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_impact_hypothesis

chrs
    cosmic :m3: andi

5. HarperPR

Thanks, Cosmic! Not as bad as I thought, then. I imagined that the Moon pulling away would have more of an impact, but apparently the end is not nigh...well, not yet anyway!:thumbup:

But there was an article I was reading the other week and it seems we're long overdue for being hit by an asteroid, a massive volcano eruption and all sorts of other lovely natural catastrophes!:leaving:

6. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

The end of the Earth Orbits, dot come?

Some scientists believe the moon is the only reason life developed on Earth. It's supposed to keep the Earth's daily rotation, axial tilt, and seasons relatively stable. Don't remember all the other vital reasons for the moon, but I think the calculations are the Earth will burn up (or perhaps freeze?) by the time the moon flies away, so no worrys...

There are also be fewer asteroids, meteors and meteoroids (forget which is bigger) in our solar system that can hit us (if we could keep up with our scans of the heavens, and find a way to stop them).

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  7. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Speaking of meteors

Although we weren't really...
    This is pretty amazing.
    *edit* damn, that's a diffrent one. Go to archive then "Fireball over Edmonton" I can't make a direct link work, sorry.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap081124.html

Thanks to Dave Longey on another forum for the link.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  8. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Moon/meteorites/ateroids/volcanoes/tsunamis/women

It's already happened! Didn't anyone tell you?!
    It was called the Margaret Thatcher episodic period!

andi :seeya:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  9. HarperPR

I saw that! Well, I don't mean literally as of course I am not in Canada, but read about it! A big one - 10 tons!:w00t:

We're all doomed I tell you. This is just the start. Never mind the credit crunch, what about the end of the world....:biggrin:

10. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

As we know it?

I just hope I live to see it :smilielol5: