1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What TV did you grow up with?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Mar 26, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Prompted by a conversation a few weeks ago, what children's programmes did you watch as a child? Share your memories, whether of Muffin The Mule, The Woodentops, Trumpton or Banana Splits!

2. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Kill Your Television!

3. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

i didnt have a tv until i was 8 as i lived with my grandparents. we would go to friends houses to watch football, racing and the news or would listen to the wireless, so dont remember any childhood tv programs from really young, and i never really was into tv, i liked scifi, dr who, star trek, land of the giants, lost in space kinda stuff, most of that were 80's repeats of the 60's/70's shows. oh and i love(d) the munsters and adams family! just got the dvds for my kids :thumbup1:
    mostly tho, i kill the tv (except star trek and grand designs ;) )

amor mundi

4. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Tomorrow People, Hong Kong Fooey, Scooby Doo, Wacky Races, Why Don't You..Swap Shop, Magpie, Starsky and Hutch etc. Feeling quite old rembembering them ..:ack2:

5. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers

I Was A Young Man, Back In The 1960s

Well, we made our own amusement, then ...

Never got a tele until I was about 11 - 1960 ish - and the first one we had was rented from Radio Rentals, cheap because it was a recon, with about a 12 inch screen and a dirty great magnifying glass attached to it by webbing straps to make it into about a 20 inch.

Black and white, of course, and just BBC and ITV.

In terms of children's tv, I have to say my abiding memory is for a whole universe of puppet programmes: "Four Feather Falls", "Torchy", "Fireball XL5 " (with a theme song sung by Gerry Dorsey, later to be known as Englebloodybert Humpersoddingdink) and similar. Much better than "Thunderbirds" et al.
    Then there were the bad half hour westerns: "Lone Ranger", "The Cisco Kid" ('let's went Cisco, let's went Pancho'); and the longer ones like "Bonanza" and "Rawhide" and "Wagon Train".
    "Huckleberry Hound" and "Yogi Bear" led me into cartoons, and to a real appreciation of the socio-political circumstances that engendered "Tom and Jerry".:tongue_smilie:
    Home grown stuff tended to focus even then on documentaries and drama, particularly of a Sunday night when we couldn't watch anything too light-hearted, until I fought to watch the Stones on "Sunday Night at the London Palladium".
    The original "Dr Finlay's Casebook":
    "Och, Dr Cameron, is that an anal thermometer I see in your top pocket?"
    "Aye, Janet, some bum's kept my biro."

"Ivor the Engine", "Noggin the Nog" - including Thornogson, Nogbad the Bad and Graculus - and later "The Clangers".

Ooh, I could bore for Britain on a subject like this.
    Come to think of it, I just have.

On with the day.

6. Watcher

Watcher Computer stained fingers

Wee Steve pretty much says it all for me too, although I'm a few years younger (4 in 1960). Have to add Robin Hood (Robin Hood, riding through the glen) - just watched "Sword of Sherwood Forest" with my ten year old the other day and he loved it too. Also William Tell (Come away come away with William Tell, come away to the land he knew so well, what a day what a day when the apple fell for Tell of Switzerland), Richard the Lionheart, Ivanhoe. Doctor Who, Star Trek, Lost in Space and Land of the Giants sated my lust for Science Fiction. Jackanory, Blue Peter, Crackerjack and occasionally Magpie (although I felt like a traitor to Blue Peter when I watched it!). Loved The Saint, The Champions, Danger Man (fore-runner of The Prisoner which I never really understood - sorry Paul! - still watched it though). Don't forget The Magic Roundabout, greatest chidren's programme ever - Eric Thompson rools! Into the seventies with The Double Deckers, The Banana Splits, The Goodies - I left it to my younger brother to pick up the baton after that with Rainbow et al.

7. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

If you think back to some of those Watch With Mother shows, you don't half start asking questions.

For instance, just what was going on in that potting shed with those Bill & Ben blokes and that bird Little Weed?:confused: And, what did Andy Pandy and Teddy get up to with Looby Loo in that box???:D And if you remember an illustrated slide show called Joe, well, each episode would have the narrator saying: " 'Oh, Joe,' said his mother. And Joe began to cry...'" Every blimmin time that poor kid was in tears - where were Social Services!:rofl:

8. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers

Have to add Robin Hood (Robin Hood, riding through the glen)

Wasn't Roger "Eyebrow" Moore in that, or was it "Ivanhoe"?

Watcher has added a lot of my other memories to the list and, of course, "Magic Roundabout" comes way up the top of favourites.
    Thompson's version: almost as brilliant as "The Prisoner" - Dylan and Ermintrude being particularly undermining of the cultural values of the 50s and early sixties. I sometimes wonder if the Beeb's authorities actually noticed to begin with.

9. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Jogging my noggin'

This thread has got me thinking about t'the old days! "When I were a lad"!:biggrin: Captain Pugwash with it's risque undertones, Roobarb and Custard and who could forget the Hair Bear Bunch - fantastic!

10. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

champion the wonderhorse!! i would beat my brother up to watch that! and the adventure game. oh oh oh and the monkees, they rock!

amor mundi

hatty :)

11. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

According to my Mum the first one I really liked was "Pogle's Wood" (http://www.pogleswood.org/) but I really cannot remember a thing about it other than it being in black and white... no surprise there as we didn't have a colour TV :) I have the same hazy memories of the moon landings.

Later on, The Herb Garden was the best thing, along with Magic Roundabout of course. I was also a great fan of Robert Harbin's Origami programmes, and had all his books and spent many a happy hour folding paper. I guess things were simpler back then.

12. Watcher

Watcher Computer stained fingers

Yes, Roger Moore was Ivanhoe. Also forgot Sir Lancelot, which starred William Russell, who was subsequently Ian Chesterton in the first series of Doctor Who.

13. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Origami link

http://web.mit.edu/chosetec/www/origami/

andi