Done it ourselves
Well, we’ve done it! Last weekend we finally summoned up courage to attempt the first (incorrectly bought) chest of drawers. This weekend, we have triumphantly completed the second. Taking seriously the advice of those who commented on my blog, we took the first, smaller, task carefully. We used several Chinese takeaway containers to hold the nuts screws etc while we counted them against the inventory in the “instruction manual”. I use quotation marks advisedly because there were no written instructions at all. The guidance is purely pictorial and symbolic (eg a picture of an object and a numerical representation of how many there should be). We were fortunate in both cases to have everything required (even a few extra bits).
The first small chest of drawers took about an hour and a half, starting with a certain amount of philosophical, logical and artistic discussion, and culminating in childish satisfaction at what was basically a simple achievement, followed by fantasies about how we could make a living from this… Remarkably little swearing or bad temper was involved.
Surprisingly, perhaps, this experience didn’t make us look forward to the next task with any more joy but ….
The second chest of drawers, twice the size, was quite a breeze really. The only swearing came from dropping fiddly screws. We had learnt what to expect and how to do it and accomplished the whole task in less than three hours, including all the moving around of furniture, detritus of life, chopping up of cardboard packaging for recycling , hoovering etc and manoeuvring the mighty beast into position, which, as predicted by my commentators, was not where originally intended, because it looked ridiculous there.
We shall only know whether the exercise has been worthwhile in a few months, when we will be able to assess whether it has had any beneficial effect on the total chaos chez Jacobs. Nevertheless, we feel a certain small hint of pride right now J