1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1980 onwards...

Discussion in 'General' started by Shane, Nov 5, 2007.

?

Favorite of these roy harper albums...

1. The Unknown Solider

3.6%
  2. Work of Heart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Born In Captivity

10.7%
  4. Jugula

32.1%
  5. Decendants of Smith Garden Of Uranium

3.6%
  6. Burn The World

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Once

17.9%
  8. Death Or Glory

21.4%
  9. The Dream Society

7.1%
  10. The Green Man

3.6%
  1. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

I noticed that the recent mojo RH article limited itself to roy's very early career, with the few albums that followed stormcock getting a little mention and the post-HQ period being completely ignored. fair enough i suppose, since Stormcock has just been reissued and his later work is, arguably, less immediate and accessible than the early 70s classic stuff. i've always thought the albums after HQ are unfairly ignored even if they do tend to suffer from dodgy production and arrangements. anyway, just for the fun of it, a poll! no loony on the bus, sorry.

i'll have to think about it for a bit

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I think that if I were in Roy's shoes I'd probably get a bit fed up with the concentration on the earlier work since as a musician you probably want to keep moving all the time. Just imagine how bored Zep must have got with "Stairway", and so on. However I think there's a lot of strong stuff in the latter material, and I voted for Jugula which is a very fine album that easily matches earlier glories and has a particular feel to it that I like.

That said, unfortunately there does tend to be one or two tracks on each latter release that I don't totally enjoy (in the case of Jugula, the last 30 seconds of Advertisement!), which I don't think is the case for the early 70s material. So I would say that the work is perhaps patchier, but by no means deserving of the sort of dismissal it got in the Mojo article.

3. Shane

decided on death or glory my favorite overall although im not sure if has any stand out classics along the lines of sleeping at the wheel, stan, drawn to the flames, wishing well, short and sweet or the flycatcher...

4. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

1980s onwards....

I think I'd prefer a Poll on the top ten songs you would choose for a compilation album? Every album contains favs and not-so-favs and it's rather impossible to differentiate between likes with dislikes.

andisean

5. Shane

only 10 poll options allowed though. you could just list them i suppose...

6. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Death or Glory by far. And I'm not just biased towards the other guitarist :D

7. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Swithered between "Born in Captivity" and "Death or Glory", plumped for Born in Captivity as it was the first Roy Album I got my hands on albeit a cassette recording from the limited release cassette version and also I can play some of BiC whereas I can't play any of DoG. Seriously though Death of God (the first issue with all the poems between the tracks that is) for me is very personal to me and I only ever listen to it when in a fit state of mind.

ps.
    I would love to be able to play On Summer Day or Evening Star but so far I haven't got the hang of either of em'. One day I will suss it or maybe some kind soul can give me some pointers, well here's hoping :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  8. Friar Snig

Friar Snig Computer stained fingers

I nearly voted for The Green Man, I nearly voted for Descendants Of Smith, and then I nearly went for Death Or Glory - but in the end I had to vote for Jugula, I suppose mainly because it was my first love, and had come out just as I first saw Roy and got into his music. It has a certain magic about it, and still ignites the zeitgeist of those days in me.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  9. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Poll

Yeah, I think a lot to do with these judgemental things is that it depends on nostalgia and what you were doing at the time which can identify you with the music and your circumstance at that time. Some songs still remind me of my first girlfriend in the 60/70s and I expect some of you probably get the same sentimental trip in yer heads? T'would be interesting to do another Poll/Questionnaire to identify the certain historical songs and the things they remind you of for ever, every time you hear the song. Going back to Alison,
    yes, The first cut was the deepest!!!

god bless
    andypanypuddinginpiekissedthegirlsandmadethemcry

10. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

I went for Jugular too, although it is extremely hard to nail down any kind of answer, because they do all revoke certain passages in time for me too. However I think Jugular just highlights Roy's craft of creating and setting an unforgettable atmosphere to a song, and with Mr.Page there in the mix, you can't really go far wrong..

This album just grows on you, I've been listening to it since it was first released (it's like an old friend) and I still love it! :sifone:

Shaun.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  11. Halfhorse

Halfhorse I've got a zappy little nappy

Once has it for me

For longer than it takes -Sublime!
    Sleeping at the Wheel - Dreamy
    Miles away - Even more dreamy
    If - living man to man
    Once - Say no more

and the rest.

Gee

12. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Jugula is where I came in. It blew me away. I had never heard anything like it, and I haven't since.

A stunning album, each track amazing (apart from the last perhaps! ;) )

13. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I was a bit torn between two, but the tracks Halfhorse mentioned then reminded me how much I did, and still do, love them. Decision made!

14. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Of these, I only own SMITH, GREEN MAN, and JUGULA so far (I've been getting caught up with a bias towards earlier material).

While I love all the varied styles of composition in ROY's work, I am a big fan of JP's work and the synergies created when artists work and create together. Like most, I believe, the music grabs me first with probably 98% of songs. Without a great lyric (or greater poetry) that great music is less memorable and less likely to stick with us throughout our lives.

There are always exceptions, and ROY is the most of them I have ever heard!

Sorry to those who may "resent" JUGULA's popularity (or that 80's sound).

MILES REMAINS (Live-Beyond The Door?) became an instant life-long fave, and GREEN MAN (song).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  15. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

The last track on Jugula (Advertisement) is often dismissed as being musically unworthy, I for one actually like this track and don't think Jugular would be complete without it. It takes me back to the crazy smoke filled days of my youth. "Break out the Rizlas and roll up a place to unwind" Timeless lyrics..:sifone: Just my opinion though!

Shaun.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2008
  16. Travellerman

On it's own, it's interesting I suppose :D I just find it clashes with the rest of the tracks, Harper 'de-bunking' himself again I presume?

17. Shane

i like that track too, the chorus is very catchy and its musically quite unlike almost all his other stuff with the big synths and pop arrangement. I suppose Casualty would be along the same lines. jugula is very diverse for a short album - acoustic songs, dreamy synth bits, stadium rock, spoken word etc, yet its still very cohesive. the production is a vast improvement on Work of Heart (the last thing Drawn To The Flames needed was a saxophone solo in the intro...). if i could vote again i'd vote for jugula over Death or Glory i think.

18. Cardinal Doomsday

Cardinal Doomsday I've got a zappy little nappy

Burn the world was my second choice.But i really had to think about that one.It's a shame no one likes desendents of smith i hear roy's very proud of that album.

19. Travellerman

I'm sure some do like it, I do! it's just that we can only choose one for the poll.

Descendants has some good tracks that I really enjoy; Garden of Uranium, Pinches of Salt, Government Surplus, Descendants of Smith and the acoustic Laughing Inside are all favourites of mine.

Pinches of Salt is probably in my Harper top ten, though I'd hate to sit and really have to come up with that list!

20. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Death or Glory for me, for it's deeply powerful, personal element, although Jugula a close second, not a duff track even advertisement, it's very different from his other albums and his voice is very sharp. The 80's were a dark era but I liked the stuff he did then it reflected the times.