1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

28 February Basingstoke Central Studios [NH]

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by aspwatterson, Jan 15, 2009.

1. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

I had an inkling that Nick may dare to venture out of Marlboro' country to this blot on the landscape. Central Studios is part of Queen Mary's College 500 yards away from my house where we do recordings out of student time.

If anyone needs a floor to sleep on then please advise me [aspwatterson@hotmail.com] and bring your own bedroll/duvet/beer/sanity etc.

chrs
    andi :m2:

2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Here's the spec for would-be attenders - and for those who would like to flag up on any listings site.

Central Studio
    Queen Mary's College
    Cliddesden Road
    Basingstoke
    Hants RG21 3HF

8pm

£10 / £8.50 concs

B/O: 01256 418318

There is no support at this show.

http://www.centralstudio.co.uk

Andi, I will email you tomorrow.

3. aspwatterson

Basingstoke Observer

LINN/

If you've not done it already [or Central Studio haven't automatically] then the publicity email for the Basingstoke Whats On guide in The Basingstoke Observer is events@basingstokeobserver.co.uk. Or call Dan on 01256 694125. It's the local weekly rag which comes out free on Thursdays similar to the thrice weekly Basingstoke Gazette which you have to pay for so their circulation may be bigger?.

chrs
    andi

4. aspwatterson

Brilliant in Basingstoke!

Even people who had never heard of him or Roy!

Just Brilliant!

chrs
    andi

5. aspwatterson

AT..

At the risk of repeating myself here and elsewhere...Nick's performance last night here in Basingstoke was the best live gig that I have ever happily on circumstance chance encountered/attended.

'Shock and Awe' pings to mind.

But perhaps that expression is best avoided as it will always be associated with Bush bombing Baghdad these days?

So all I can say Nick absolutely exploded in/on Basingstoke last night.

Deservedly imperious...thanks Nick [sorry about the backchat from the audience, it was meant to relax you and make you feel welcome to Boringstoke!]

Right shut up Andi and go back to your bed hangover..

PS ...go and buy your tickets now because they will be like gold dust when his s***e hits the fan...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  6. Blister

Blister I've got a zappy little nappy

The "YEAY!!" Gig!

Well, hello - I'm new to the list, and just wanted to leave a comment, following my first encounter with the talented Mr Harper.

My only regret about last night in Basingstoke (my home town - that's what happens when they let the locals in...), is that I would have liked to say hello to Nick personally, and to thank him for the fantastic evening's entertainment.

I'm a complete newbie, never having heard of Nick, just supporting local live music - which is a dying art in our town. But he's obviously a real diamond of a singer...and his guitar-playing was almost as good as my own. Ok, so I can't actually play, but I have TRIED!! Completely lovely, and the songs just resonated with me, where I am right now in my life, so that is always a 'result'. The fact that my own mother died of cancer last September (the day before my birthday) made it all the more poignant for me.

Don't suppose he has time to look through these messages, but if you DO, Nick: THANK YOU for a really special couple of hours. I am now a fan!

You lied though: you ARE playing Glastonbury (though not in June!), and are welcome to borrow my wellies (flowers or swastikas, the choice is yours?) size 8...Yes, I WAS that "YEAY!!" girl!! Apologies to anyone making a bootleg! :wink:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  7. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Welcome aboard blister :D

8. aspwatterson

Blister

Live local Basingstoke music at Platforms [pub at the front of the railway station] every Wednesday night with Ron Peploe. Or now and then at the Light Lounge top of town with 100% Basingstoke gang. Glad you liked Nick! Any good at climbing mountains with him in Wales in June/July?

andi

9. Blister

Blister I've got a zappy little nappy

Live music...

Thanks for the welcome :)

I will definitely check out Platforms on Wednesdays - have stuck my nose in a few times on other nights, and it can be quite scary. The Light Lounge...all right, we all know how good it WAS when that lovely hippy was running it, seems to have lost a bit of direction now. But I do still go in there to see what's on.

My ambition for Basingstoke is a late night acoustic wine/coffee bar, for grown-ups. I day-dream about it, look for the ideal venue, plan theme nights...quite sad really, lol!! Nick Harper would definitely be invited to play! Along with my other faves Lee Griffiths and Jackie Leven!

As for mountain climbing in Wales, I think I would be up for that, but in reality even the train to half-way up Snowdon (is the summit EVER open?) seemed a bit of a long haul. I've got the walking boots though...?

10. aspwatterson

Love Hope Strength Foundation etc.

If you go to LHSF's website or contact Katrina on here you can download the registration forms and info for the Welsh mountain trips this year. Or even Kilimanjaro [sp?] if you are suitably ambitious!

Because Plarforms is a a bit of a commuter hostelry it can get a bit boisterous and noisy I suppose. But there's never any trouble because Ronnie is a karate teacher.

There are the odd acoustic nights in the downstairs of the Haymarket Theatre which is a nice adult venue full of students! Also the Basingstoke Blues Club [they've got a website] at Moose Hall is not just blues...you can play folk, acoustic,anything...and they listen to you so you are not in a noisy bar atmosphere.

This Friday at www.centralstudio.co.uk at QMC where you saw Nick there's an open mic night for anyone of any ability in nice quiet surroundings.

chrs
    andi :m14:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  11. aspwatterson

Open mic night....

Open acoustic mic session at the White Hart tonight [opp Police Station - London Road - Basingstoke]. Tomorrow night Blues Club - Moose Hall - Glebe Gardens - Basingstoke.

chrs
    andi

12. aspwatterson

Unprompted amateur personal review....

Y'all

As some of you know, have been doing a bit of help spreading the Harper gospel here in Basingstoke, and pleased to say more people turned up than expected.....at least another twenty would have come, if it wasn't for a clashing local gig who love him.

Anyway, Aldershot is not too far on the Harper Hampshire unmountainous horizon...

" Now and then we have those so-called Life Changing Experiences [LCE's] ..... you may have won the Lottery, got <your partner> pregnant, stung by a wasp in your throat, found a job, had a sex change,or, bumped into your lifelong soulmate.

One of those LCE's occured many years ago on a first listen to Roy Harper's STORMCOCK album - it was like a wake-up 'spiritual' adventure that lasted over four long tracks full of meaning about the way I should be thinking. I call those rare LCE moments 'synergistic satoris'. They're unavoidable when they strike and usually when you are not expecting it. Like some dreams you remember for the rest of your life. Even now decades later when I put STORMCOCK on I get the same fixational effect somehow.Therefore truth must be veritas and lives on eternally. Ergo ....

Another LCE struck me on hearing Nick Harper ['Roy's Boy'] playing live here in Basingstoke recently. This was not just someone exhibiting his extreme musical virtuosity. This was a real person displaying his soul in public - his mum's death; his cancer charity[www.lhsf] caring conquests; his sometime insanity combatting the insanity of this crazy world : just as deeply moving as his Dad....in fact it wasn't a gig it was a revelation.

Think I need a bit of Harper detox counselling, in recovery from such a wonderful LCE performance!! But definitely not in denial of such an amazing experience. Must run in the family methinks!!"

chrs
    andi :wink:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009