1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Map of Nick's Spring 2009 Tour

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by bigchris, Feb 5, 2009.

1. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I think that's brilliant! Not very useful, but brilliant. Scotland looks a bit sparse on gigs however...

3. dim

dim I've got a zappy little nappy

i concur.. very good.. but not particularly useful... :D

hmm.. i wonder if a routeplanner will let me plan a journey with 38 via's ?
    (no.. :( spent ages putting that route in only to be told "this service is currently unavailable"
    grrrrrrrrr

4. webbyla

webbyla Computer stained fingers

Inspired

I think that is totally inspired Big Chris!

PS How are Roary and Tintop?

5. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Music mapology

Wonderful..and when you zoom out the whole country seems mapped out in guitars! Then when you add the reviews linked to each gig at a later date which you write for each gig you attend you have the perfect diary of the tour written in electronic stone for posterity. If you have all that spare time!

Send it to Nick and Linn for brownie points!

6. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

At least Scotland *has* a gig though. There's no guitars in Northern Ireland at all!

Best,
    +A

7. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

The first time I read that question ... I did think "what the eck are you talking about" ... but then eventually I did suss it ... I'm surprised it took me that long ... especially I have one of these ( http://tinyurl.com/aprlwy ) in my lounge !!

8. dave w

dave w Computer stained fingers

9. webbyla

webbyla Computer stained fingers

Yeh sorry for the random association - my son is currently obsessed with Roary the Racing car and consequently it was the first thing I thought of when I saw your user name.

10. aspwatterson

What an amazing moving map. It reminded me of what ticket Inspectors brains must work like. All those synaptic interconnections round and round radiating from the central celebral cortex..

andi

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  11. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Chris, that's pretty freakin' cool!!

Well, can't complain, we've already had *cough* two :wink:

And I always live in hope for Fringe gigs!

(best not to mention Wales :blushing: )

12. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I like maps...:D Chris, if you're ever bored again how about a world map of everywhere Nick has played?!

13. dim

14. aspwatterson

Our intrepid explorer of musical energy...

If he survives this year with all his mountain peregrinations then why not encourage him to row or sail 3,694.4 miles across the Atlantic playing and creating songs as he goes streaming out webcams by satellite comms? Linn could go with him [if his wife lets him] and act as the live PR promoter / DJ / commentator cum oarswoman? Imagine the media interest as Nick hits the dryland shores of America? It would act as the perfect promotional intro to gain max interest as he starts a tour of the USofA.

Or go up with the other Branson by hot air balloon? That might suit him more if he likes being at altitudes in the stratosphere, mental or otherwise. " My daddy gave me an aeroplane".

Billed by the Guinness Book of records as the highest guitar playing performance in a balloon / plane / microglider / glider / spitfire / hang-glider / parachute / cablecar whatever. "The great gig in the sky" in honour of Pink Floyd. Think Dave Gilmour might just be happy staying terra-firmaly retired on Earth and may not be so keen to join him at his grand old age?

Imagine Nick singing above the Atlantic Ridge mid-ocean between super continents moving apart tectonically? Bound to inspire him again, surrounded by the vastness of it all and the sky on a clear new moon night full of stars with no background disturbance light.

To appreciate the vast astro-panopoly above, and meditate on the incredible distances involved; away from us little ants scurrying around motorways commuting on this planet.

It was only an idea Linn, don't blame me if he gets some of this into head as his next LHSF charity project!!! But how high can one go in a hot air balloon safely these days without breaking guitar strings in the thinness of the atmosphere? I'd imagine a few Everests without checking?

chrs
    andi :D

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  15. scotpaulabear

Hey, at least Nick knows how to read a map when he's getting gigs booked - I still shudder at the tour a few years ago with the 3 days in Leicester, then Glasgow, then Derby :confused1: but let's not forget 4 days with *checks* Nottingham to Exeter to Mid-Wales to Canterbury for sheer lunatic routing :bored:

16. scotpaulabear

Holy sh*BEEP* :blink: When you put it like that...

For those of you familiar with Dave Gorman, I think it's time I picked up my personal MPNHG* calculation again...

* = miles per Nick Harper gig :D

17. dim

i think the stupidest was the levs accoustic when they succesfullyu went from barnstaple in devon, to glasgow (and then if memory serves me correctly, back down to swindon)...

ok.. so all you harper fans.. nick does his bit for lhs... why not he fans.. who fancies a sponsored 38 town treck.. im sure national express or someone would dole out free coach tickets...

7 days, 38 towns, 38 pubs... all for charity.. :D

18. scotpaulabear

Don't tempt me, man! Plus I'd have to cover my lost wages cos I haven't got enough time off left this year :bored:

What would be the Harpicquivalent of a Frog Train? :biggrin:

19. aspwatterson

Feel a...

Feel a song coming on ...sorry... not throttled yet!

"The wise owl and the pussycat went to sea
    In a beautiful Seasick Steve green boat
    He had the money
    She had the honey
    Wrapped up in their sou'wester coats.

The owl looked up at the stars in awe,
    And sang a ballad to the sky
    Oh pussy! Oh pussy, my love,why
    What a beautiful......"

chrs
    andi

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009