1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A storm in an Opera Mini!

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions' started by HarperPR, Jan 1, 2009.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

My first grumble of the year!

Paul, did you by any chance twiddle the Stormcock knobs a week or two before Xmas? Only since around then I haven't been able to access the Stormcock page from my mobile Opera Mini. These forums are okay, but not the other.

2. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Not that I'm aware of, no. Does anyone else use Opera Mini, and did they have any problems? What error message do you get?

3. HarperPR

'Error in HTTP operation'. But it's in my Bookmarks and never had an error before. Have also tried via clicking on the Stormcock Community link on here, but get same.

4. pd

Hmm. I'll see if I can get to the bottom of this by looking at logfiles etc (no luck so far). I found an Opera Mini demo on the net but it wasn't working, for any site. Ho hum!

5. webbyla

webbyla Computer stained fingers

Opera mini ok for me

I am on the stormcock site now via opera mini with no probs.

Any particular pages that cause the problem

6. pd

Is it still broken Linn? I've had no luck finding anything weird. The embedded youtube thing on the front page broke things for a short time, but only in Internet Exploder...

7. HarperPR

Yeah, still same. The only way it lets me in is going via clicking on your blog link on here.

8. dim

dim I've got a zappy little nappy

no problems here at all...
    just go straight to www.stormcock.net and works fine
    in both modes as well although its slightly more readable in mobile view cos it renders quiete well...

the opera mini emulator has no probs with it either>> http://www.opera.com/mini/demo/

problem your end lyn... tried reinstalling opera...?

9. HarperPR

Hey, Dim, I clicked on that link in your post and guess what? IT WORKED! However, when I subsequently tried the same thing it no longer does. Explain that? Beats me. Obviously it's me and Opera not getting along! Maybe I should upgrade the phone...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  10. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Try clearing all the cache settings within mini opera - and if you have a phone where you can clear the cache for that too, try that. It sounds to me like you might have aquired a rogue cookie or two! It's a while since I've used mini opera, cause I've been on MyPod for sometime now, but I'm sure I occasionally had similar messages.

If you are going to upgrade your phone then here's what I've discovered about the iPhone.

Pro's: Internet - superb, but not as good as a computer but impressively close.
    E-mail client - v. good.
    Very good connecting to wi-fi hotspots and home wifi-ness.
    A lot of useful applications easily accessible.
    Conversation format in text messages is very useful
    Battery life is very good for a phone with this many features and screen size.
    Potentially the syncing of contacts and calender is brilliant.
    Can view PDF, Word and Excel files easily and quickly.

Con's:
    Can't forward Text Messages.
    Typing isn't as quick as on a normal phone, and takes a few days to get the hang of.
    Can't send picture Messages.
    No video option on the camera.
    No flash on the camera.
    Can't send business cards.
    I can't plug it into my computer and use it as a modem like I could with my N70. I believe there are hacks that allow you to do that though - I don't fancy doing them though.

11. pd

You forgot the biggest con, Critch - it's ridiculously expensive. If it weren't for that, I'd have one (and I've had to really fight my inner geek not to buy it). If they made it cheaper, sales of the phone would rocket (by cheaper I mean at least £100 cheaper on pay as you go, and at least 10 pounds per month cheaper on a 12 month contract).

12. critch

Well that's totally true! I didn't get it until the new version came out and they dropped the prices, but they are still very expensive, and in these trying times I'm almost wishing I hadn't bothered! lol.

13. HarperPR

Imagine a Paddington Bear misunderstanding: 'WHAT? Clear my CASH?! But I've spent AGES saving that money!'

Funnily enough, just tried now and seems to be working again! I'm sure it's that admin man having a laugh! :wink::biggrin:

14. critch

Funny you should say that - the iPhone clears its own cash..... :beatdeadhorse5: