1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Album Reviews :: The Last Guitar

Discussion in 'Press and Media' started by HarperPR, Mar 18, 2010.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

2. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

It's a reasonably critical review but quite fair I think... the reviewer hints at Nick being so much better live than on record and I certainly agree with this point. However I've grown to rather like having "alternative" versions of the songs, with a lot of instrumentation, on the studio CDs as opposed to the raw guitar-only interpretations that you get live. It's rather a pity though that people that are not into live music are missing out, apart from the fantastic "Double Life" CD.

3. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I agree ... I'm just hoping that his next project, is something that he has mentioned in various interviews ... which is going back to some of his old "over produced" songs and re-inventing them just with his acoustic guitar ... I think that sort of CD could be a second CD non-live going punters would enjoy after they've bought "Double Life" !!

4. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Hmm... odd that Alex Litton makes no mention of my favourite track, Freestyle. I like Nick's electric efforts, complete with band. His advice on getting a good producer makes sense though, as does the idea of a CD of alternative versions of some of Nick's best tracks. I've just been listening to the Mark Mulcahy tribute album, Ciao My Shining Star. It certainly brought out some elements of the originals that had been hidden under a bushel, as well as slaughtering others. I'm still awaiting completion of the Roy tribute album, which promises greatly. Maybe a Nick tribute album would also be interesting...

Bob

5. Roydan

Roydan Computer stained fingers

I think it's a good review, I am surprised with Freestyle not being mentioned also. For me it's the stand out track and the one I've played the most.

As an additonal note Nick's pool playing is nearly as good as his guitar work :confused1: beaten by my guitar hero catagorically at a late night sesh in Selby. He's ruthless.

6. HarperPR

7. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

A master plan to sell multiple versions of every song?

I gave my appraisal on the thread announcing the CD going on sale. I see forum users say here what I think about the difference between studio and live. I'm glad Paul likes the varied approaches to each song, but I probably won't hear those new "LIVE" songs for long after you Brits have gotten used to them.

Enviously yours, Jack

BTW, pd, I finally re-downloaded all the podcasts I'd lost and the newer ones!
    I got the last 12 or so just tonight.

8. HarperPR

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  9. HarperPR

10. HarperPR

11. HarperPR

12. HarperPR