1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Astronettes

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by bigchris, Oct 6, 2009.

1. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I thought about "doing an Andi" and just posting a URL and doing a runner :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002AF4XD8/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

... but that would be hypocritical of me !!

When I read that recent ( & excellent ) interview with Roy ( though I can not find the link for the life in me ) that mentioned the fact that David Bowie had recorded a version of "Highway Blues" ... I felt I had to find out more about it. Now in hindsight, I have found out that SteveT posted something nearly a year ago about a review in Mojo, but I must have totally ignored that for some reason ( wierd as his comment was on a thread that I had started ) ?!?

Anyway, the above link is to the CD in question; so I HAD TO buy it ... and I'm glad I did !! The version is .... different !! Mojo mentioned something about Wailing ... and they aren't far wrong ... sounds like 3 people singing the same song at the same time ... but a couple of seconds out of sync !!

Other tracks are cover versions Brian Wilson, Bruce Springsteen and Frank Zappa tunes ... and of course some Bowie tracks too.

Not a bad purchase if you have 8 quid burning a hole in a pocket !!

2. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

I'm used to being ignored!

I haven't listened to it for ages but remember it being quite powerful. Am I correct in thinking that she takes the wrong cue on a line somewhere in the middle, or is my aged, befuddled mind playing tricks on me again?

3. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

If you scroll down the page you can play a preview... and you're right, it is errrrr... different.

I've got an mp3 of Gavin Moore doing Highway Blues on the ipod too, can't recall for the life of me how I ended up with that. :confused1:

4. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

That used to be on his website but doesn't seem to have migrated onto the new one.