1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avebury Rocks - July 9 2011

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by HarperPR, Dec 26, 2010.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

A special one day event in the heart of Wiltshire, featuring Nick Harper and Mike Peters.

2. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

On July 9th 2011 Avebury, the Ridgeway and the Marlborough Downs will resound to the sound of Rock Music as musicians and walkers take part in a sponsored walk ending at Avebury for a concert.

The event is being organised by the Rotary Clubs of Marlborough and Swindon Thamesdown with the Love Hope Strength Foundation to raise thousands of pounds for Prospect Hospice. The organising committee include members of the two Rotary Clubs, Nick Harper (guitarist), Ian Ritchie (Friends of the Ridgeway), Mike Polack, and Daniel McNally of Prospect Hospice.
    Permission to run the event has been obtained from the National Trust, English Heritage and Avebury Parish Council.

The event kicks off early on the Saturday morning with sponsored walkers leaving Avebury on a 20mile journey across Fyfield Down, the Marlborough Downs and returning via the Ridgeway. Musicians Nick Harper, our local professional acoustic guitarist and Mike Peters - lead singer of the Alarm together with other top musicians will accompany the expected hundreds of walkers stopping at points en route for musical interludes. Their equipment will be carried by members of the Territorial Army who will accompany the walk. A lunch time stop will be at Barbury Castle where families and those who want a shorter walk will join in. The remaining six miles will be completed in the afternoon ending in the South East quadrant of the Henge. They will gather here, rest and enjoy some music and once all the walkers have arrived they will move to the Sports field for a Rock Concert from 7pm till 10pm.
    It is hoped that up to 800 local people, walkers and supporters of the musicians will attend the evening concert. Families are particularly welcome.

Two dedicated websites are available for potential walkers and concert goers. One is http://aveburyrocks.co.uk. And the other is http://www.lovehopestrengthfoundation.co.uk/cms/. Tickets and registration details can be obtained from these sources. Concert tickets will also be available at Sound Knowledge in Marlborough.

Please note that numbers are limited to 500 walkers who will automatically receive a concert ticket and a further 300 tickets will be available for the concert.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  3. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Sorted. I'm in :D

EDIT: hopefully the websites will be updated soon :wink:

4. bigchris

Just booked myself and the lads into a pub up the road from Avebury ... and we are staying on the Sunday night as well ... to recover from the 23 mile trek ( extra 3 miles to and from the pub ! ) ... none of us have walked such a distance in the past 20 years ... so it may prove rather "interesting" !!

5. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

You gave us enough clues Chris..

You gave us enough clues Chris, and with your love of real ales [and darts?], I reckon it's this one?

http://www.thenewinn.net/

Andi sleeping at the wheel overnight in a layby probably? Unless my credit card balance surprises me in January!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  6. aspwatterson

Proof!

Mum used to keep family archives in dusty drawers and have found proof from 1968 that I have already walked twenty miles for charity in the past!

Andi

Hey! Just noticed someone owes me a £1 not paid! It's alright I've got their address!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  7. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

8. scotpaulabear

Avebury Rocks signup sheets and sponsor sheets (along with a lovely fetching pic of our kid in the Avebury snow :D ) now up on the Love Hope Strength UK website!

[​IMG]

9. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Great picture Paula, Nick certainly gets about. Musician: personalised jacket & guitar..will travel..:m8:

10. aspwatterson

11. HarperPR

12. bigchris

13. aspwatterson

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  14. scotpaulabear

I've "stuck" this thread, makes sense, thanks Andi :biggrin:

15. aspwatterson

Now there's a good idea!

Someone with influence over Roy? I wonder who that could be? Can someone convince him to join Nick and Mike's marathon LHSF party walk gig fiesta on 9th July 2011 in exotic Avebury?? My mouth is watering at the prospect....

Andi

16. wessexy witch

wessexy witch I've got a zappy little nappy

This is almost in my back garden so it would be rude of me not to show up wouldn't it ?

*ps*

Hullo everyone !
    Long time no lurk !!
    :blushing:

17. aspwatterson

18. Colin L

Colin L Computer stained fingers

We've booked into the New Inn as well. Just in the process of doing the registration forms - really looking to it.

19. HarperPR

That is such an eerie place! Had a drink in there when we visited once, on a windy grey sort of day. The sign outside was creaking as it swung back and forth - imagine that at 3am!! Sppoooky.

And on a more serious note, a good friend of mine's little boy was recently diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour. He underwent a 9.5hr op on Monday. So far, progressing well, but there will be up to a year of chemo and radiotherapy.

Was absolutely gutted. Still am. So devastating.

Jason (dad) is a big fan of Nick's. And being a professional music photographer, snapped him at the Bilston gig last year.

If you are on Twitter and Facebook, you can follow Joel's photographic progression at @Junction10 + Jason Sheldon on fb.

20. scotpaulabear

Poor wee guy :crying: Will keep him in my thoughts...

Anyway, if anyone has a few spare pennies, please feel free to fling 'em in here - I promise to keep my whining about my workout regime to a minimum :D
    http://www.justgiving.com/paularocksavebury