1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bert Jansch RIP

Discussion in 'General' started by Roydan, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Roydan

Roydan Computer stained fingers

Just learnt that bert has died after a long battle with Cancer.

A true genius and legend.

2. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Never mind this year being bad for losing people, this WEEK has been bad :crying:

The one time I saw him was "opening" for Nick in the Kalamazoo Club in Crouch End years ago (2001 if I remember correctly!)... he was the headliner but he didn't want to go on last on a long night so they swapped if I remember correctly :D Great music and a lovely man, and I always meant to see him again when he was up for the Fringe or played on Arran (he and Nick's Scottish promoter Tam Balloch were friends, he even did a live album at Castlekirk!) but I never got around to it - so sorry I put this off now :bored:

3. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

You can say that again .... a great loss !!

I believe that was the only time I saw him too ( & the first time I met Paula - I think ?! )

Just looking at Bert's wikipedia page ... and of course everything on wikipedia is true (!?) and came across this line - "On 19 October 1968, Jansch married Heather Sewell. At the time, she was an art student and had been the girlfriend of Roy Harper"

4. Nigels

Nigels Computer stained fingers

Ah!
    "Heather and I lay together and I was in love,
    She weighed up the gains and the losses and gave me the shove"
    Its like doing a jigsaw and finding where a piece goes.

5. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Obituaries from both the BBC and the Guardian:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15179959
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/oct/05/pentangle-bert-jansch-dies

As an aside, that Crouch End gig was definitely 2001 cos it was just after Nick's wrist-break and cancelled tour, and it was only (!) the third time I'd come to London to see him play... I didn't even look that up on my site :biggrin: And yeah Chris, I think that is the first time we met - unless it was at the surround sound gigs or the 12 Bar the year before? Anyway, I'm pretty sure that's the first time we properly had a chat. And I'm so glad we did :biggrin:

6. philmch

philmch I've got a zappy little nappy

7. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

RIP week!

Now Steve Jobs of Apple fame..

Andi

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  8. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

9. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier