1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Live Venue

Discussion in 'Anecdotes' started by HarperPR, Jan 18, 2008.

1. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

My fave cheap booking site:
    http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/cambridg.html

Linda, Sleeperz is near the train station if I remember correctly, maybe check them out? They looked okay but I've only ever stayed at the YHA, which is decidedly cheap and semi-cheerful :w00t:

2. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Best venue...Roy

Definitely Llantwit Major Atlantic College [it's on google website] South Wales.
    The barn type building is attached to the castle and there are about five large stepped down gardens of different geometrical designs going down to the river Severn and a swimming pool & lifeboat station. Off to one side of the gardens is a wooded valley and an ancient church with three dead trees struck by lightning.... I took an American tourist there oneday skunked out of his head and pointed down the valley and said 'look there's the crucifixtion'.
    His face went white as he visualised something in his head and had to drive him home sick as a hangdog!

andi

3. telemonster

telemonster I've got a zappy little nappy

seated theatre style for me... every time. at least then, you don't get the obligatory 7 foot retard stood right in front of you!

4. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Nay, nay and thrice nay. Have to disagree, although I do prefer seeing Roy in a theatre. But what if you get the 7-footer sat in front of you, eh?

But Nick, no. Give me the little clubs every time. The worst seated on the last tour was the Junction in Cambridge. If you sat right back in the seats then your feet were swinging inches off the ground; sit forward and you slanted. Unfortunately, when I did the latter my phone fell off my lap into 3 bits down in between the seats in front! What made it worse was to retrieve it I had to uproot the whole row and get down on my hands and knees to rummage for it! It's kinda of funny now, but wasn't then. As I had to depart downstairs before he finished to set up the merch, I couldn't find a moment in the set to create a disturbance. In the end I did at the start of the penultimate number - and then fled.:blushing:

5. telemonster

hahaha

can't beat a bit of frankie howerd, can ye! well, i like a theatre style place (the floor slopes down toward the front). i find i can see quite well, but then i'm about 6 foot. my favourite just lately is sheffield city hall. and i'm getting too old to stand up. and i find that in seated venues, people shut the f... up and actually listen to the turn. i've got thoroughly sick of club gigs where all the kids stand around in groups shouting at each other.

i'm turning into an old fart, aren't i...?

so when's harper junior coming back up north-ish?

6. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

If it's an act i like, then i don't mind standing, otherwise i just go to the bar and prop that up.

I've always liked lazy festivals where everyone just sits around in the sun on the grass drinking fosters or other, from cans with their sun hats on.

The other bonus is that if people wanna talk they just head to the back of the field and don't disturb anyone.

7. telemonster

venues

yeah, festival's ok. no argument there. i'm just right off club gigs lately due to bad experiences over the last year or 2.... and the fact that i'm turning into a grumpy old fart....:nopity:

8. HarperPR

Am I the only one who hates festivals then?:confused1:

The only one I am (semi) looking forward to is V at Chelmsford: The Twang, Kings of Leon, The Verve, The Feeling, Jack McManus. Nectar!

9. telemonster

festies

give cambridge folk fest a go-it's great!

10. HarperPR

Are The Twang on there?:biggrin::biggrinjester:

11. telemonster

???????

i thought you'd know that better than me....

12. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

You're obsessed woman!

I'm not keen on all festivals. I like the chilled ones with no mud, fair prices, and no camping! Even though i like camping on the whole!

13. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

You could give that great long sig a rest

It was amusing when I first read it but it takes up acres and it's a complete waste thereafter. See how short your messages are without it!

Bob

14. telemonster

eh?

hi,
    sorry mate, i must be a bit slow tonight, but i just don't get what you're trying to say to me.

have another go, would you, please....

15. telemonster

aaaah...

got you, now...

well, i think that's my business, don't you? you do your thing and i'll do mine, eh! peaceful co-existence and all that ****e.....

16. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Well no. That's my point. It's a pain in the arse, not just your business. But if that's what you want to be, go on.

Bob

17. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

do you smoke a pipe and wear a cardigan, bob?

18. HarperPR

Has anyone been to the Wedgewood Rooms in Southsea, and if so, is it a good venue?

I am thinking this might be a SteveT/Watford Pete one! Is it in same direction as The Cellars?

Decided I can't wait the extra 2 days to London to see The Twang, so looking at this first. Maybe meet for a drink, Steve, if you're around? It'll be 13th.

19. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

It's a lot bigger than the Cellars. 400 capacity I think and more of a standard , square-ish room with a proper stage and small bar off to one side. It's on the main drinking/eating road in the city so there's plenty of choice for refreshments. Parking can be a nightmare round there because all the side streets are residential. It's probably less than a mile from Fratton station.

I hadn't thought about going because to be honest, I don't look at the Wedge's listings that much these days. There used to be loads of stuff on there that I went to (Roy played a few times) but it seems to go for acts that attract a much younger crowd than the stuff that appeals to me. Also I've managed to avoid all the entreaties to listen to The Twang of late. Are they any good? :biggrin:

20. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Steve!

If she's offering to buy you a drink with such scintillating company for the evening I wouldn't pass up on such an opportunity! :wink: Just imagine if yer mates saw you with such a posh diva on yer Pompey arm alnite?!

Actually it looks tempting [The Twang that is!]..are there tickets left?

andi