1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Live Venue

Discussion in 'Anecdotes' started by HarperPR, Jan 18, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Those who saw Nick at the Freebutt in Brighton earlier this year - another with stage obliterating pillar stuck bang in centre of room - well, you won't again, not there anyway. Another to have gone under.

2. HarperPR

but rising it seems from the ashes, having been bought by Soton's Joiners and relaunching Jan 24. Hope they're doing something about that pillar. And the PA.

3. Roydan

Roydan Computer stained fingers

I loved the old(ish) days of The Witchwood. I remember watching Roy play there and I was sat about 10cm away from his monitor speaker we were the cramped in. I remember nick in his early days before Seed was released when he used to sit down when he did his gigs. Oh how times have changed, he was dancing at Selby last year??

4. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

Being an Ashton resident and Harper fan, I was at all (most) of those gigs too. Probably drunkenly going on about Budgie. Roy seemed to be on at The Witchwood 2 or 3 times a year in the '90s. I saw you support him a few times too - Burnley Mechanics was it? Late '80s?

+A

5. HarperPR

Found a new nice little venue last week. St Pancras Old Church in London. Anyone else been?

Tiny - about a quarter the size of Union Chapel - great acoustics, lit with tealights. And, you can take your own alcohol and consume in your seat (chairs, not pews), or I think they do a wine box and teas.

They are starting to have some good artists there - James Blake played night before I went. So if you are wondering whether to go there, I would say definitely yes.

6. HarperPR

7. HarperPR

8. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I notice the Boardwalk in Sheffield has made the shortlist ... would be great & rather silly if that won the best small venue in the UK ... especially as it's now closed down !!

9. HarperPR

Back to that nice Pompey Wedge Rooms in October for er, 'that band I talk a lot about', ha! Can I tempt you, Steve, to a bit of Chapel Club on 15th? If not, catch you for a drink in the usual? :wink:

10. HarperPR

11. HarperPR

Brudenell in north east region. Manchester in north west, think Band on the Wall. Not heard rest. Hoping Concorde 2 won south east. Great venue and already won another best venue award this year.

12. HarperPR

King Tut's, Glasgow named NME's best small UK venue.

13. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I wouldn't go as far and say that the Greystones in Sheffield (http://www.mygreystones.co.uk/) is the BEST live venue ... but it's certainly a little cracker ... and the beer ( the original reason why I travelled 165 miles to see Nick ) is from the fantastic Thornbridge Brewery (http://www.thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/) - but they have just had a write-up in the latest edition of R2 magazine (http://www.rock-n-reel.co.uk/) and it mentions the history of the venue - that was all new to me !!

I lived in sheffield for 4 years in the late 80's ( studying at Sheff Poly ) and at one point less than 1.5 miles from the venue that had such artists as Wizz Jones, The Watersons, Christy Moore, Tony Capstick(!), Billy Connolly, Bert Jansch and apparently a regular visitor was the late great John Martyn .... I must have been studying too hard to realise what was happening on my doorstep !!!??

14. just jane

just jane Computer stained fingers

I would like to nominate the lift at the Festival Hall as the best lift at a venue, in fact the best lift Ive ever been in.
    It was the one at the back of the building which went the full height(from the lower ground level).

As we were waiting for it and some people got in then went up only to come back to the same level looking confused before they went down as they wanted to. We realised the reason for the confusion when we used it ourselves, it seemed to go up no matter what direction button was pressed but as it did it let out a sort of ghostly operatic wail that got higher and higher as we went up and again as we went down, with full effect getting lower and deeper as we went down. It was so funny we were all so confused by it :14:

15. intimate gigs

intimate gigs I've got a zappy little nappy

Horrible venue. Dressing rooms are disgusting with mould, fungus and sooooooooo dirty. Total dump. DF=Live Nation=killing music.

16. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

I think it's nostalgia, Iain. I used to love Tuts - best atmosphere in Glasgow in its day IMHO. Now they're more interesting in selling shedloads of alcohol (and not policing the drunk tools once the gig starts) than having good gigs. I agree, it has gone a bit beyond divey, and the sound is nowhere near as good as it used to be. Makes me sad...

17. intimate gigs

Being a man of a certain age I have seen many a Glasgow venue come and go. Tuts has always been my least favourite gig in the city. Never liked venues where the promoter was on more 'sustance' than the artist. It just ain't rock'n'roll.

I have fond memories of Fixx, Daddy Warbucks, Videodrome, The Halt, Rooftops, Napoleons, Cotton Club and the like. Daddy of all venues is the Barras. The sprung floor made the place bounce. For me no place has ever came close and I doubt ever will.

18. scotpaulabear

Fair enough! I think of the Barras as a different class - for big gigs, there is no other :biggrin: I do like the ABC for slightly smaller ones, but it can't quite compete...

I feel about the Academy the same way you feel about Tuts :wink:

Do you believe the Dandy Warhols are playing the Garage? I didn't even know they still did music?

(apologies for the Glasgow digression LOL)

19. intimate gigs

Saw them 2 years ago at the ABC and they were as good as ever. Great rock'n'roll band.

20. scotpaulabear

Sorry, I meant the venue, not the band! they are always amazing :D