1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Nick Album - A New System

Discussion in 'General' started by Travellerman, Oct 19, 2008.

1. dim

dim I've got a zappy little nappy

for live album read "greatest hits"?

2. Steve_Pitts

Steve_Pitts I've got a zappy little nappy

Apologies that this is just an echo of Mick's choices, but it represents my take on Nick's best and worst work too (although there are a couple of other albums that might reach the top of the pile on a different day, especially Seed and Harperspace, they would generally spend less time there than Double Life)

Light at the End of the Kennel 9
    Seed 12
    Smithereens 9
    Instrumental 9
    Harperspace 10
    Double Life 14 (+1)
    Blood Songs 10
    Treasure Island 6 (-1)
    Miracles for Beginners 11

Me neither, but to me Double Life represents a quintessential Nick sound that isn't quite there in the studio albums (and indeed has been butchered out of them in one or two instances). I would hesitate to try and explain why this is so - or indeed why it isn't the case for any other artist that I can bring to mind - but nonetheless it is very clearly true for me, and obviously for several others.

Doesn't really hold true for me since there are definitely a number of songs that I would expect to see on a 'best of' that are missing from Double Life. It is the presentation (or perhaps 'lack' of production) that makes it such a strong statement of what Nick is about.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009