1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blade Runner

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pd, Dec 9, 2007.

1. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Fuzzy asked about the Blade Runner "Final Cut" in the shoutbox. I've been working through the "making of" documentary over the last few days and last night we sat down to watch the "Final Cut" version properly.

From a visual angle the film is the best I've ever seen it; proper widescreen, pristene colours and sharpness, and new 5.1 surround audio. The layer change could be at a better point - it's mid-scene, so there's a tiny pause when the player switches over - but that's the only criticism.

In terms of the content, the casual watcher won't notice too much different from the earlier Directors cut. There's no Deckard narrative, the unicorn scene is present though much clearer, and the ending is bleak. They've tidied up some scenes, particularly the snake lady's demise crashing through the plate glass shop windows, and the release of the dove when Roy Batty finally expires. I think there are lots of other smaller changes as well, particularly with the interactions between Rachel and Deckard, but it has been a long time since I watched it so I can't be sure.

Regardless, for the £17.99 I paid for the 5 disc set from Play.com, it's a steal. I haven't even got past the first 2 discs yet. There are also copies of all the commercially released versions (including the one with the film noir voiceover, which I still like as well), lots of background info, and the original Ridley workprint.

A must-have purchase for any fan of SF.

2. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

I concur! I just treated myself to the 5 disc set - what more could a Bladerunner fan ask for? It's all there, in one tin:

Final Cut / Directors Cut / US release / International release and Workprint plus documentaries!

Fantastic! Mind you, 'er indoors doesn't understand the need, and is of the opinion once you've seen one, you've seen them all, but then she swears she can't hear the difference between mono and 5.1 either! :rofl:

Ridley Scott mentions in one documentary how so many films of the genre take the sense of "this could be real" out of the equation and rely heavily on CGI to carry the film. For me, this is why BR remains head and shoulders above any other SF movie - at its core remains a very human story.

3. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Thanks guys for the reviews you have convinced me I will get this version.

I bought the "Director's Cut earlier this year albeit for only £6 out of ASDA but this sounds like a good deal what with the additional discs about the making of etc plus the "tidying up" of the actual film.

thanks again