1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blood Song

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by HarperPR, Dec 14, 2007.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Part of what gets me in this song are the 'heartbeats'. For all (anyone able to confirm that?) of the last tour they were strangely absent. Except at Portsmouth. It's always a good indicator of how caught up in the song in the moment Nick is. On the May tour I can remember at least one occasion where there were THREE sets of 'beats', as opposed to the usual one. A rare and beautiful thing.

2. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

The live version of blood song is for me the best thing nick has ever done - and i absolutely love most of his songs live.
    When i got the dvd i was so glad when i found it on there. I put it on really loud on my hifi and watched.
    So moving. So powerful. Goosebumps raised down my back and sent shivers down my spine. Dare i say it, tears welled up in my eyes. This is the feeling that occurs when i go to exceptional gigs. The feeling i got when i watched nick for the first time and became hooked, but never before had i got it from a watching a recording. And still today, each time i watch, it comes back.
    Simply beautiful.

3. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Every time I've seen Nick play this (I'm pretty sure anyway) he does the heart beat by tapping/thudding the guitar body with his fist and then "fades" em' out by tapping progressively lighter. I tend to always be right at the front so I'm not sure I'm hearing the heart beats via the PA or if I'm hearing directly from the guitar. Anyhoo I think it's a terrific way to finish the song.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  4. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

They make it so spooky and eery though! Love it! I always wondered if they matched the speed of his heart at the time! Maybe that's why they haven't appeared recently - his heartbeat hasn't slowed down since the exertions of everest! :p