1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I just say...

Discussion in 'General' started by leigh, Feb 23, 2008.

1. leigh

leigh I've got a zappy little nappy

That personally, I think Nick has taken an ill-advised step backwards.

I thought Miracles was almost indistinguishable from the very early stuff.

And after Bloodsongs, where is the sense in that?

The production on BS was immaculate and the songs and performance were peerless.

As Nick was producer, I have to ask why he wanted to go back to the accoustic-led studio album? The whole point of multi-track recording is that it allows you to do things you can't do live?

I know most of you will disagree, and that's fine.

I still love Nick Harper; the man, his music have been a big presence in my life.

But I do know a missed chance when I see one.

PS: Sorry about being rude over the new forum. Miss the old one is all.

See you round.

2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I think that that there are/were a lot of fans who want/ed to see a return to the acoustic feel of the early works. But as another artist said to me recently, you can only produce the album that feels right for you at that time - and that, MFB, was what felt right for Nick - at that time in late 06/early 07. I think the next album - out next spring - will represent where he he is at this point.

3. Sadfish

Sadfish I've got a zappy little nappy

At the end of the day Nicks on his own journey, and like the rest of us his journey will take him wherever the feeling goes.

4. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Yeah, but anyway...

I think I agree with Leigh. I got lost upon Treasure Island. TI was hard work at times, though contained some real gems. Miracles on the other hand had little impact upon me, technically it's fine, it just seems to miss my 'soul' somehow, didn't quite 'bite' me (if you catch my drift).

But today, looking at Nicks entire output so far, it does seem eclectic and unusual. Harperspace, Instrumental, TI all different from each other and for that, I take my hat off to him. :biggrin:

5. Uriel

Uriel I've got a zappy little nappy

Hi Leigh. Why is this off topic?

6. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Good point, I think it should move to General...

7. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

One thing I think about Nicks recorded output is that I respect him for taking risks, in that his studio based work is quite removed from his live work, in many cases, yet I personally feel in many cases if you were being introduced to Nick through his recorded output only you wouldn't be that blown away - some of his recorded work just doesn't do it for me at all, which is a crying shame given his mastery during the live shows.

8. Craig_Powers

Craig_Powers I've got a zappy little nappy

Yes I agree totally with that. I try to take newbies to see Nick rather than lend them a CD. All have come away from his shows really enthusiastic.

9. Craig_Powers

Craig_Powers I've got a zappy little nappy

...Bloodsongs vs. others

....part of the problem is that Nick raised the bar very high indeed when he produced Bloodsongs. Its a hard act to follow.

10. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Bloodsongs does no more for me than any of the other studio albums. Double Life is the business - and I still haven't seen him live, much to my frustration. I like Harperspace and Seed as well, but basically they're all good.

Bob

11. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

The studio albums are all great, all have their own unique concepts and sounds, however Double Life has so much more energy being a live performance heightening the passion of the studio albums, and I agree it really is "the business" and has become one of my favourite albums (Not just Nick albums)

12. pd

Strangely Bloodsongs does little for me. But I have to concur, Double Life is wonderful and portrays the NH "experience" so much better than any studio album. Then again, most of us here are very keen gig-goers so we probably "get" live music. I suspect there may be a large audience of cocktail swigging canapé eating lounge lizards that might think differently... :p

13. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I love blood songs. Does that make me a cocktail swigging canapé eating lounge lizard?

14. pd

Well, not (knowingly) having had the pleasure of meeting you in person, I shall have to leave that for others to judge...

15. HarperPR

Yes, he is - especially when he's got his hat on and doing a Bryan Ferry!:rofl:

16. critch

Please????? How many times have you actually seen me doing a " Brian Ferry"?

17. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Dunno what that is but... you dirty brute :rofl:

18. critch

You and me both.

19. HarperPR

Ferry was the archetypal lounge lizard of the 70s.

20. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

No, I do know who Bryan Ferry is (and lusted after him in his prime!) but how does that apply to Critch... :confused1: