1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you suggest some other bands/performers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Roscoe, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Roscoe

Roscoe I've got a zappy little nappy

I'm new on this site so I haven't delved into the archives of the threads. I am just getting back into music after a long, bad marriage so I'm kind of out of touch:confused: I absolutely love Roy and Nick-for me they epitomize much that has been good and original in acoustic music over the past four decades. Can anyone reccomend other bands in the same vein? Original, relevant, socially aware acoustic acts with a great sound? I would appreciate it, as it would help me narrow my search for stuff that is worth listening to right now. Much of the rock and even folk that I hear right now sounds pretty dead to me. Thanks for your replies.
    Russ :biggrin:

2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Hi Russ

Okay, here's a few:

Tom Baxter
    Jack Savoretti
    Levellers
    Morales/Watts
    Vijay Kishore
    Amsterdam
    Newton Faulkner

3. Roscoe

Roscoe I've got a zappy little nappy

thanks man, I really aprreciate it :w00t:
    feel free to chime in with more ideas all you Harper fans. I will look up any and all suggestions.:D

4. Glassmoustache

Glassmoustache I've got a zappy little nappy

Hi folks - some recommendations...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Rays Vast Basement - Starvation under orange trees
    Elvis Perkins - Ash Wednesday
    Findlay brown - Separated by the sea
    Fruit Bats - Mouthfuls
    The Microphones - Glow pt2

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Hope you like em

5. LAdrain

LAdrain I've got a zappy little nappy

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  6. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Tim & Jeff Buckley are worth checking out, limited to CDs though as both are no longer with us.
    Grace by Jeff and either Dream Letter, Happy Sad or Once I Was by Tim are all very good listens.

7. HarperPR

His EP is out now too - AND he's doing Moseley Festival this year! Cool beans. That's me booked.:thumbup1:

8. LAdrain

LAdrain I've got a zappy little nappy

He was playing at Mathews Street in Liverpool the begining of the month. I bought the EP from him, what a nice guy.

You are in for real treat.

9. HarperPR

He is a genuinely lovely guy. And so blimmin funny when he's on the red wine.:biggrin: He's opened for Nick twice too.

10. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

11. windjammer

windjammer I've got a zappy little nappy

Try Michael Hedges, brilliant acoustic and innovative U.S. guitarist and singer. Sadly no longer with us as he died in a car crash in 1997. For his guitar instrumental albums try "Breakfast In The Field" and "Aerial Boundaries", songwise "Oracle" and "Torched", his last recorded work. Plus his live LP "Live On The Double Planet", a mixture of both. A lot of stuff on YouTube to listen too including a lot of early stuff as well
    Back in the UK the brilliant Michael Chapman, still going strong at 71 and gigging regularly. Superb folk, blues,and jazz infuenced guitarist and singer. also his 1970s and 80s electric more rocky material. Personally I prefer his acoustic stuff these days. Again loads of stuff on YouTube.

12. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I saw Michael Chapman play at the SOL Party just this weekend gone, and it was absolutely terrific. I spoke to him afterwards, shook his hand and said how enjoyable it was. He's a very modest and affable sort of bloke - for some reason I was expecting him to be a bit less self-effacing so it was a nice surprise. He has an amazing guitar style - effortless finger picking - and I found the whole set mesmerising. I believe a DVD of it has already appeared on dimeadozen.

13. windjammer

windjammer I've got a zappy little nappy

His DVD Journeyman/Live on the Tweed is well worth getting, a live gig from 2003. Michael Chapman is doing his annual Cornish gig swing over the next 3 days as well. A good hours documentary on Michael Hedges "The Artists profile is on YouTube also

14. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Hey!

Hey did I hear the Spice Girls are reforming!? Even Posh with her trademark pout!

A:biggrin:

15. HarperPR

16. HarperPR

17. Johnbarkeriom

Johnbarkeriom Computer stained fingers

The new Sam Carter album is excellent and after a couple of traditional tunes morphs into an amazing set of original songwriting, some rather Nick Harper-like. Recommended.

18. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

I saw Michael Chapman earlier in the year too, very enjoyable. The opening act was a guy going by the name of Hiss Golden Messenger. I bought his album Bad Debt on the night and have only just got around to listening to it, its solo acoustic american country/blues sort of stuff. Fairly straight ahead sort of stuff but with a slightly otherworldly vibe about it at the same time. Good songs, nice singing, recommended! I believe he has another album with a band on it, its on my shopping list.