1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannabis Update

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by aspwatterson, Jan 14, 2008.

1. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

As reported in the Daily Telegraph 12th January 2008

"CANNABIS CLINIC WILL TREAT 12-YEAR OLDS

Children as young as twelve are to be offered treatment for cannabis-related mental health problems at a leading clinic. The Priory Hospital in Roehampton, south-west London, has set up a new clinic to treat young people suffering from the effects of drug and alcohol use. The NHS will pay to treat 12- to 18-year olds suffering from psychological problems after smoking cannabis.

Figures disclosed by the Daily Telegraph yesterday show that 500 people are being treated by the NHS every week for mental health problems to cannabis.

Since the Govt. downgraded it from Class B to a Class C drug, the number of adults being treated in hospitals and clinics in England for it's effects has risen to more than 16,500 a year.

Over the same period the number of children needing medical attention after smoking the drug has risen to more than 9,200"

"Your view? How dangerous is cannabis?

[] If someone wants to spoil their health, that should be no concern of mine. Drinking heavily isn't illegal. Could we tax this stuff instead since people seem so keen to buy it? Neil

[] I fail to see what difference it will make what Class of drug cannabis is made. Skinning up will still be as normal as brewing a cup of tea for millions of people. Mike

[] I don't think those caught with small quantities of any drug should be made criminals - at least not before offering them a Course and Guidance. Dealing indrugs however should be a very severe matter. B Redfern

[]Rather than just 'black and white' classification of drugs the Govt. need to be giving us more clear and definitive information. Rod Munch

[]My sister smoked cannabis regularly for five years to help her relax. The signs of her being paranoid were starting to become evident, she thought people were bugging the her house and talking on mobile phones about her. For the last two years my sister has at times been taken against her will and put into a Secure Unit within a Mental Hospital. The distress to a family is unimaginable. Annie Burns

[]As a retired Police Officer I have never seen a hard drug user who started on hard drugs; they all start on cannabis. David Yoemans

[]No drug is made safer left in the hands of organised criminals and unregulated dealers. Millions are using and cannot be stopped from doing so. Danny Kushlick

I worked at several drug counselling agencies and addiction to cannabis was our most common problem. After a few months when I answered the phone I could just tell by people's voices if they were addicted to Marijuana. Drug abuse is drug abuse, there is no such thing as a safe drug, cannabis included. Chris

[] At a party, my daughter was invited to smoke what she thought was cannabis. It was Skunk , a modified form. Five years later and two years after leaving the psychiatric clinic she doesn't have psychoses anymore but still can't concentrate for more than five minutes at a time and suffers from violent oubursts." Dr. David Jutson

Peace!
    Illegality equals paranoia!
    Relaxez-vous !

andi

2. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

this whole argument really bugs me, alcohol is FAR more dangerous.
    people who take hard drugs start off on alcohol and/or tobacco, not cannabis. in fact most pot heads stay just that.
    BUT i do believe in giving smack head morphine and half drug related crime, get rid of the dealers. the gods know the police dont want to do it, i recently reported a dealer for selling to a 16 year old and nothing was done about it, they dont care. 3 nights later they turned up at my foster mums to enquire about a missing cat. and if the powers that rule this country were not already making their millions on the back of the drug trade there would be real help out there for addicts and those who have mind disorders and wont feel the need to find something (alcohol, puff, coke, rock or smack) to self medicate.

amor mundi

hatty :)

(13 years, 1 week and 2 days clean from heroin)

aspwatterson likes this.
  3. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Alcohol is legal and makes millions in tax, so forget anything being done about it. However banning it wouldn't solve the problem as proved during the prohibition period in the USA during the 30's when alcoholism was as rife as previous.
    There is no easy answer, some people have a propensity towards addiction whether it be booze, heroin, puff, gambling or sex and frequently swap from one to another. Sure some potheads stay as that, some drinkers drink all their lives and cause little problem, but many don't, many pot smokers progress up the scale of addiction or run into serious psychological problems with some of todays high powered hybrid herbs.
    As you say the worrying thing is the powers that be care not a jot, or they wouldn't be cutting the budget for addiction treatment again.

Barry
    (4835 days sober)

4. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I used to be an enthusiastic consumer back in my student/uni days but that was a long time ago, and I don't really have any idea whether all the media frenzy about "super strength" stuff is true. I agree that in general it's better than alcohol (except when mixed with tobacco) but I also do think that it may help trigger "episodes" in individuals that are prone to such things.

Attitudes change a bit when you're a parent; since my ten year old will be going to the next school in due course, I find myself worrying about all the fuss about schoolkids smoking since I didn't start until I was 18 or so :)

However I have an incredibly jaundiced view of the media and whatever they try to push as the "truth".

5. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

the weed that is about now is imo stronger than the solid and the weed that was around years ago in my experience and i agree that it may trigger episodes in the prone.
    as for the parenting thing, i completly agree and understand, have an 11 year old and i have chosen to be as honest and up front as possible with him. he knows about the dangers of controlled/uncontrolled drugs and alcohol, all i can do is give him the facts and let him find his own way. my next child is 9 and i know that i am going to have to explain this stuff to her soon too, and i hope that she can be as grown up as her brother has been, but her aim in life is to be a chav, so i think i loosing that one :(
    i believe the whole pharmaceutical industry a greater danger than if one of my kids started smoking pot. how many people are told to take pills and suffer permanent damage? i guess we just dont stop learning about these things until we are satisfied that we are making the right choice. even harder when you are making those choices for your children!
    i'd rather they smoked dope than took prozac or steroids for chest infections, the list goes on.
    i'll shut up, i'm waffling (and not because of any happy smoke! i just waffle :p ) and i should be going out!!

amor mundi

who needs to get outta this zappy little nappy! lol

6. aspwatterson

User name upgrade

Hey ! I'm on my 97th post and think I may progress from a Captain Kirk spliff roller to something more positive when I reach the 100th? Or just send Paul a donation and become a tax exile cruising the Bahamas in see through pyjamas?

aw:party::banghead::sifone:

who needs to get outta this zappy little nappy! lol

7. aspwatterson

Sobriety......

Dear Barry

Have managed to drastically managed to self-medicate and down to just 2/3 pints of real ale [wot I call 'Food' BTW] per day since 31 st December 2007. That is good for me and I do feel a thousand times better/ more positive / creative/ optimistic & happy than I did! Also cut down drastically on smoking Tobacco. Just keep drinking loads of tea; eat and exercise well... it's good fun, and I feel I've gone through a life-changing episode in my life for the permanent future good for me and the surrounding mankind. Is that my 100th post? Let's see if I'm upgraded yet? It's sooooo eggciting!!!!

aw

Barry
    (4835 days sober)[/QUOTE]

8. aspwatterson

Centipedal footprints 98,99, 100!!!

Is that my 100th post? Let's see if I'm upgraded yet? It's sooooo eggciting!!!!
    Now it's telling me my message is to short and it won't accept it! Whrere did Paul get this devious Big Brother software from?.... that seems to look inside our minds and count evrything?

chrs:cheers2:

aw :gnorsi::angelsad2:

Barry
    (4835 days sober)[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

9. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Congratulations on your centenial post Mr Watterson! So how does it feel to be ...Hmmm...insane? :)

10. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

and this bloody nappy is starting to chafe.

i quit smoking (both tobacco and green) at new year again. i was starting to feel better and felt i could move on without the self medication. i chose to smoke during my last *episode* as it seemed fairer on my family to be stoned than screaming and breaking things.
    the nhs offered me an appt in march .......
    congrats andy on being Hmmm insane!

amor mundi

11. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

You should all kick your shoes off and walk in the rain - ha!

All drugs is bad, man. Get high on life! If I'm feeling good and happy it's just as powerful for me. But that comes from an adrenaline junky, so I guess we all have our addictions.

12. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

yea, adrenals get stressed and give up sometimes :)angry: thank you mrs thyroid!) and without adrenaline, one can require a little help ;) now finishing something i start gives me a high, today was a choclit cake and now going to finish cleaning a bathroom! dont tell me i dont know how to have fun!! :rofl:
    and i could kick my shoes off and walk in the rain just inches from where i am sitting as the patio doors are leaking! oh it is just a laugh a minute around here!

amor mundi

13. aspwatterson

Cannabis [cont...]

The festive administrator consuming the beast!

I do feel a total hypocrite these days as if I ever caught any of my three daughters smoking they would feel the wrath of dad! If I ever caught a Dealer selling them drugs I would have no hesitation in grassing [excuse the pun] him or her up. I admit that I do this for entirely selfish motives as I don't think I could handle any of them pre-deceasing me! My multi-millionaire friend's young daughter got murdered in the Phillipines on a gap year with her friend from Cheltenham Ladies Finishing School and he was a mess for ages on various strong medication [Cortezan etc.] and then he contracted Bell's Palsy and looked like the hunchback of Notre Dame for a few months when his face collapsed one side. Not a pretty sight and I had overwhelming sympathy for him. All the money in the world [he started Planet plc, BTW] and his daughter just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Like that poor school girl last week who got killed by a gas explosion yards from her house.

Refering to the super strong Skunky, hydroponically grown, enhanced with chemicals, stuff... I had a bit last year and it felt as though I was going mental on the bus home and did actually did start not to enjoy it and prefered myself normal for a change. Must be getting old. Loony on the bus .. watch out! Not sure if I could handle acid or 'shrooms anymore?
    Anyone seen the film 'Shrooms... is it worth watching?

Totally changing the subject, and saving me jumping out from one forum to t'other, someone recommended Pat Metheny jazz player's music last night... never heard of him... useless on Jazz but always open to new stuff.. anyone got into him at all???

Bye for now
    andi watter-bong:coolgleamA::conehead::sifone:

ps Heard Glos. may be in trouble from The River Severn flood alert again. Nick are you ok man??

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  14. aspwatterson

Hmmmm....insane....

It's getting worse not better... I'll have to hit that Donate button next Giro day methinks!

aw:w00t::biggrinjester::thumbup1:

15. aspwatterson