1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clocks! Clocks!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Oct 25, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

A public service announcement.

Don't forget to put your clocks back tonight - or 2 am tomorrow if you wanna be pedantic.:)

2. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

thanks, but i'll forget, anyway-always do!

3. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

DOLLAR Saving Time

Thanks to MY brilliant leaders seeing fit to tweak DST, some of my not too old technology has already reset itself. Should've been set to FALL back after HALLOWEEN the first time we changed.

Don't we SPRING forward in FEBRUARY now?:biggrin:

4. HarperPR

We SPRING forward at 2am this coming Sunday 29th. Hurray - British Summer Time arrives, even though the weather seems to be getting colder!:)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  5. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Bugger !! What's the chance that I will miss my check-out time at the hotel, after a night out in the Brighton ?

6. HarperPR

a) have an early night and
    b) don't get drunk (!) or
    c) put the clock on an hour before you leave hotel night before.

I'm intrigued as to how you managed to get any hotel for one night at the price you quoted, when all under about £60+ you have to book 2 nights for on a w/e. Hope you don't get a shock when it comes to paying and find you're charged for two!

7. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Billy Banter!

Well, if I was the hotel manager and saw the size of him!

chrs
    andi:wink:

8. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Very good, I'd imagine ;) Tell me your checkout time and I'll phone ya to make sure you're up and out!

9. SimonF

SimonF I've got a zappy little nappy

You're a fine one to talk, "Mrs. 7am" !

I believe the proper response these days is "FAIL!" (somewhat spectacularly), but then that was my fault for not even attempting the second 'OP' kindly bought by DJB :eek:. Sorry you had to 'deal' with it BC:biggrin:, my excuse being I was trying *not* to take wonky pictures, again (FAIL!, again).

Not much good if you're so zonked that Big Ben himself chiming in your lugole wouldn't cause the merest batting of an eye! (BTDTetc.)

And I hope the manager didn't get too much of a shock when he tried :biggrin:

10. HarperPR

Clocks on an hour tonight. And BST starts. Whoopee!:biggrin:

11. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

We should spring forward and stay that way I reckon, squeeze a little more life into this island existence.

12. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers

I totally detest BST, and refuse to change the clock in my car so that it is alwys right by GMT. My bodyclock will now be out-of-sorts until the autumn.

I like dark evenings and light mornings and would lead a highly-militant and probably quite rude campaign if anyone ever tried to impose 12 months BST. I'd most likely stamp my feet, too.

So there.

:31::31:

13. Travellerman

14. HarperPR

I went GMT + 2 unwittingly. Put the mobile on an hour as I wasn't sure it knew how do it itself. Turns out it did and I thought I was late all morning!:closedeyes:

15. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I fully support the notion of permanent GMT+1, I really hate those winter months with it getting dark at 4pm.

16. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers

Trouble is, no amount of DST actually creates more daylight: what you "gain" at one end, you lose at the other.
    When I used to live in the Benighted Southlands, I used to dread long summer evenings because it meant incompetent and uncaring parents had an ideal excuse to let their feral 8 year olds continuing playing football, basketball and multiple other noisy anti-social games on the street outside until all hours, on the grounds that "Well, I can't get them to go to sleep while it's daylight, innit?".
    And since I've moved to the Enlightened Lands of Hyperboreas, I can cope with dawn at 0915 and dusk at 1515, but would really hate the former to be delayed until 1015 for the sake of an extra hour in mid-afternoon.

I remain, and shall remain, forever and proudly,
    Grumpy for GMT.
    :cursing:

And seriously, my body works far better with the natural diurnal rhythms and none of this infernal Eurotime nonsense.

17. Travellerman

... See, I'd like to see those kids outside doing just that, and 'on the street' would be good too :biggrin:

We're further south than Norway, further east than Spain and yet there's an hours difference between Calais and Dover, it makes no sense for the UK to be in the same timezone as Portugal! plunged into darkness whilst Parisians enjoy after-work daylight My diurnal rhythms would be better suited to lighter evenings, dark evenings waste life.

Bring it on :D

18. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

The House of the Rising Sun

We started DST on the SECOND Sunday in March because we Americans like to be difficult! :wink: Since I don't get up before the sun rises, it seems an improvement to me, but only barely.

Blame Ben Franklin for DST, lightning rods, stoves, and bifocals... (I'll stop there).

19. HarperPR

Can you guess what you have to do tonight? :wink::D

20. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Apparently...

Apparently European Central Time [ECT] is gaining credence! Watch out!

andi