1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COMING UP: Nick US tour Nov 09

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by HarperPR, Aug 8, 2009.

1. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

See you there!

Hey, Craig!

Look for me when we're cheering for Nick!

I'll be at the ABBEY in Chicago on the 21st with my date, hopefully in time to order some food before the show. For me, it's only a 20-30 minute drive. It'll be nice to meet another Stormcocker finally!

Jack. (look for my pm)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. NoCelebrity

And another thing...

Anyone (SPB or Linn?) there who can give me an idea of what songs Nick plays the most or is playing on this tour with CY? What ALBUMS?...

I bought "Blood Songs," "Harperspace," and "Double Life" a while back, and I have just enough time to order some new music so I can give it a listen and indoctrinate my date on the drive to see the show.

She and I loved the "Shawn Colvin" show a couple weeks ago, so she's looking forward to this as much as me.

3. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Hmmm, am trying to remember what he played in September... no guarantee it'll be the same but...

Okay my drunken scrawl from NYC looks like:

2 Way Thing (from Smithereens)
    By My Rocket Comes Fire (Treasure Island)
    Radio Silence (Seed)
    Building Our Own Temple (Seed)
    Before They Put Me in the Ground (Harperspace)
    38 (new)
    Ama Dablam (sp? new)
    Love Junky (Blood Songs)
    then he played Smithereens's title track with Glenn...

At Pittsburgh 2 nights before, it was:

2 Way Thing
    By My Rocket Comes Fire
    Glittering Eye/Kilty Stone (Seed)
    In Our Time (Smithereens)
    Love Junky

And I'd get everything you don't already have :wink: Seriously, these are slightly non-standard setlists (if indeed any Nick set can be standard!) so it's hard to predict where it might go. The studio songs on Smithereens are a lot different then you'll hear them live but I have a big soft spot for that album cos it was the first one I ever got. Woefully out of date as they are, here are my album reviews from my site:
    http://www.houseofharper.co.uk/reviewsmain.htm

BTW I see Miracles for Beginners is temporarily out of stock at Nick's shop at harperspace.com but it's on Amazon USA (new, used and mp3s) in the meantime - I'd recommend it highly :biggrin:

4. Craig_Powers

Craig_Powers I've got a zappy little nappy

Unfortunately I won't make it to Chicago due to a) work commitments in UK b) my other half will still be in Missouri and she can't get back to Chicago in time. Hence no point going that week.

Shame, would have been good to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

:(

Craig

5. scotpaulabear

Nick in Denver! Part 1 of a promised 3... nice to see Nick's jetlag isn't impeding his comedy timing with the woman who walked in late... :D

[youtube]Eqf3aCe7HDU[/youtube]

6. NoCelebrity

Thanks(for)giving me your list, SPB!

So, SPB, it looks like you've prioritized Nick's albums in the following order:

1. Everything!:D

...and it looks like if I buy "Smithereens" and "Seed" there's a chance he'll play a song or two I've heard before.:wink:

I was kind of hoping he'd play the songs that have stuck in my head the most... "Love Junky" is one, but so are "Karmageddon" and "Guitar Man/..."
    interspersed with his favorite LIVE numbers. BTPMITG is good too, but I like to ROCK!

7. NoCelebrity

Oh well. Guess you'll have to see Nick in the UK then!

Next time!

Jack.

8. scotpaulabear

Yeah, that's about the gist of it :wink:

On a related note, parts 2 and 3 of the Denver show are up and it looks like he played Blue Sky Thinking and the 38 in Denver as well as In Our Time...

[youtube]5s2UduB0Fs4[/youtube]

[youtube]_nuaPIezwug[/youtube]

9. mrobin205

mrobin205 I've got a zappy little nappy

Nic

I'm going to see Nic November 12
    SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, Ca
    The Coach House

Is anyone else going to this show?

Mike R

10. scotpaulabear

Hi Mike! Just want to warn you, as mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't think Nick will be getting his own solo set at that venue :bored: Stan Ridgway (from Wall of Voodoo) is the official support for that gig. However he will be on stage with Cy for his whole set (well worth seeing!), and Cy's a nice guy so maybe he'll let Nick have a song haha... do let us know how it goes!

11. NoCelebrity

In the Nick of time? (BOO!... obvious pun!)

SPB, I finally placed my order. Smithereens and decided on Treasure Island. Miracles for Beginners STILL out of stock (I got my note to the shop confused about hoping to buy that one, but I think they'll figure out what I meant).

My friend's band had to cancel their show (1 of 4 bands that stage) this Friday due to a death in the family, so Nick will be my first visit to the Abbey Pub.

Thanks, SPB. I hope to have at least half as much fun as you at Nick's (and Cy's) show. If that's the case, it'll be well worth the price of admission!:biggrin:

12. scotpaulabear

Hee hee :wink:

And you can't help but have a great time - I can't wait to hear what you think! (and about the albums too :biggrin:

13. scotpaulabear

American tour diary! :D

11 Nov 2009

Letter From America

DENVER - 5th Nov. This was a great venue - the Soiled Dove. No, not a reference to an incontinent pigeon but rather a lady of the night. It's well specced and the sound was great, populated by many an odd trekker from the three treks for LHS - this being LHS HQ. Shannon the foundation's director led us a merry dance from radio to radio and then a TV slot which meant I got on stage 3 minutes after arriving at venue without thinking about what I was going to play and what do you know, but it seems the less time I have to think the better things are - ring any bells?

LAS VEGAS - 6th Nov. Outdoor gig in the hot Nevada evening gave way to the inevitable descent into the beautifully human splurge of vice tha Las Vegas has to offer. Luckily I learnt a system on the roulette - don't stay long on the table. You get a taste of being a high roller whilst still wearing some clothes back to the hotel..

PEORIA - 7th Nov. This was a great venue in a suburb of Phoenix. Great drive to it through joshua tree and cactus plant wilderness and then we arrive at the venue and the first thing I hear is a Mancunian accent lightly sprinkled with a US twang that belongs to Terry, the genial host of the gig. The show wends along with a bipolar swing between arts centre chin stroking to working men's club routine and Cy and I have felt our way to a good set over the three nights and we're settled that the rest of the tour will really work. Some more lovely trekkers appeared and goat meat and altitude were the talk of the town..

LA - 9th Nov. Really pleased with the way this one turned out. My set went down well and was a good set up for the two of us. The way it is developing there is lots of space to explore and our voices work well together too. Most of all we're having good fun doing it - that was plan 'A'! Earlier in the day we went to do some filming at our friend and fellow trekker Stash's studio. We recorded a song each and he used some very cool techniques that looked great... coming to a Youtube feed near you soon. More snippets when I can log on again.

On a seperate note I would like to relate the unforgettable time my Great Grandfather came to stay at our house when I was about 8 years old. He had fought in World War 1 and whilst walking in a trench a shell killed his brother who was nearby. My Great Grandfather searched in the mud, but never found anything. All those years later I awoke in the middle of the night to hear this 84 year old man screaming, "Archie, Archie!!". I'm sure my sensibilities were well set already, but that moment still has a profound effect on me. Peace and love to all. Nx

14. mrobin205

Show lastnight

I was blown away by the show lastnight!
    Nic and Cy played for over an hour , this was the 1st time i've seen Nic and can't wait to see him solo.
    Nic at the end of the show jumped on the tables and jamed for a few and then marched off stage and up to the dressing room all the while playing "Red skies at Night"
    Stan Ridgway was great too!
    Didn't see Nic after the show,so no pic ;(

I'm looking to buy some Nic Music, whats a good cd to start with?

Thanks Mike R

15. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Glad you enjoyed it, Mike!

Try Double Life for the 'live' feel, then Bloodsongs, and Seed (for early Nick!).

16. mrobin205

Cool, They were selling "Double Life" at the show for $20.00 so I didn't buy it. Thought I could get it for less on I-Tunes maybe.
    P.S. I enjoyed you on the Podcast :)
    Up to #12 , I listen to one every other day or so.

17. scotpaulabear

That's really cool Mike :biggrin: and yeah the solo experience will be yet another mind-blower :wink: BTW once it's back in print (or if you can find it on iTunes etc.) I'd also recommend Miracles for Beginners, the most recent Nick album, as one you should get ASAP, I think it's one of the best for showing off his guitar talents outwith the live album Double Life...

18. HarperPR

Oh, thank you! It was lovely to do. My debut album is out...erm...sometime...never! :D

19. HarperPR

Quote from someone I know who caught the California shows: 'This guy is a guitar monster'.

20. HarperPR

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009