1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

David Bedford R.I.P.

Discussion in 'General' started by bigchris, Oct 4, 2011.

1. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

3. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Unfortunately, it's not a hoax :(

4. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Awww. I'm really sad to hear that :crying: I love his work on Stormcock...

5. SteveT

I've only just got round to listening to and enjoying some of his non-Roy work in the last week and had already decided to investigate further. It really is a sad loss.

6. SteveT

7. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Sad news, that's a shock, was listening to a concert of his just the other day, playing an orchestral version of 12 Hours of Sunset at The Proms, RAH, (without Roy)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2011
  8. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

Really sad to hear this - I thought I had read that he was to be involved at the RFH - have I dreamt that?

Hard to understand the Graun failing to mention his sublime work on Me And My Woman

9. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

"The haunting and atmospheric title work - inspired by a Roy Harper lyric - is accompanied by the celebratory Alleluia Timpanis, Bedford's Symphony No.1, and his Recorder Concerto, with soloist Piers Adams".

12 Hours Of Sunset

10. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Totally Tubular Musical Friend

Thanks, Steve T. I've had the Orchestral Tubular Bells Album for decades. Now I know why his name was so familiar once I found Roy again online.

Such a versatile talent and all around Good Guy!

11. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I know Bedford from his Oldfield work too, I think it was 'Boxed' and some arrangements on that set that made me curious. Sorry to hear he passed away.

No Celeb... have you heard the 'Orchestral Hergest Ridge'? I finally managed to obtain a copy last year. Duo Sonares TB cover is worth a purchase too IMHO ;-)

12. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

My copy of Orchestral Tubular Bells is an old 12" Vinyl record. Recorded in 1974, pressed in 1975, with composer Mike Oldfield on GUITAR. Arranged and Conducted by David Bedford. Performed by the Royal Philharmonic.

Not a boxed set.

Sorry, I don't know the other one at all, TMan.

13. Travellerman

The Boxed set (or 'Boxed' as it was called) contained quad versions of TB, HR Ommadawn and a number of tracks upon which Bedford was credited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxed_(Mike_Oldfield_album)

The Orchestral HR was never released but copies are available on the net :wink:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  14. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I seem to have a copy of this on my computer, not sure how that happened :) Will listen to it later today.

15. Travellerman

It turned up on mine too... weird how that happens isn't it. (Ommadawn is still my favourite though!).