1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deepest Dorset

Discussion in 'General' started by Travellerman, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I just got back from a pleasant wander around Dorset :D

This afternoon found me in Worth Matravers, so I stopped at the pub only to find it closing for an hour before lunch. I was on a bit of a 'schedule' so wasn't sure about hanging there for an hour... until the familiar sounds of Stormcock came strumming over the PA! The landlord played the whole album, which made the wait rather pleasant :D

We had a bit of a chat. The landlord remembered seeing Harper in the 70's and was wondering about asking him to play the pub. It looked like a nice venue actually... very nice. Kelly Joe Phelps is playing there next month - 50 tickets and only available from behind the bar.

The beer and cider list is impressive too :wink:

http://squareandcompasspub.co.uk/

2. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

If...

If you like Cider prestigious taverns go this place, which I am sure ST from Pompey knows; and, where I spent many of my formative years playing bar billiards and learning the art of drinking without falling off the odd barstool :

http://www.theflorencearms.com/

Doubt if Stormcock is on the jukey mind, but it should be! Some good old selection of records, if I remember rightly; right up your vinyl street. Can't drink Cider anymore or strong spirited stuff my stomach won't allow it. Real ale in moderation these days. Bet Linn or Big Chris kick in now disagreeing, seeing the state I was in at a recent gig which I ain't proud of.

Next gigs forthcoming : Me at Irish Centre Basingstoke, Roy at Bristol and Nick at Winchester. Might need a coach from Basingstoke for the Railway gig as he's certainly got some converts here.

chrs
    hicandi

:54::26:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  3. Travellerman

Thanks for that.

I'm still developing a taste for English beer, the Dorset Gold I tried worked well and I would have liked to try a few others, but I was supposed to be hiking and practically fell asleep after the one I did have, sun was shining, legs aching, food in belly, one more and I'd have been horizontal :wink:

4. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

Square and Compasses is an extraordinary place - quite a pagan feel to it

Was once nominated as best pub in Britain by a travel writer from a sunday broadsheet

5. Travellerman

It is an interesting place and the photo for sale of the previous landlord hints at quite a past. There was live music playing the afternoon I visited, but I couldn't hang around. The current landlord did express an interest in getting Roy to play there... :)

6. aspwatterson

Have...

Have found that beer tastes / comforts differently in different climes. For example in the Middle East, at an all pervading 50C, only Fosters would quench thirst. Thoroughly understood tinnies and where Aussies were coming from. If you drank a Stella in that heat, your mouth would clog and wasn't any fun anymore. Or your mind would seize into uncontrollable sleep.Indian beer is a bit more largerish I think to accommodate the climate? Pale aleish? As for Newcastle,The Scots and the Irish, well all those peat bogs, mist, rain & cold you'd drink anything to keep the fire burning ; even Scotch?!

Andi

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  7. Friar Snig

Friar Snig Computer stained fingers

I was on holiday in Dorset just three weeks ago, and camped in Worth Matravers. We spent a great Saturday afternoon sat in the front garden, taking in the view, taking in their homemade cider, listening to the band that were playing and enjoying the atmosphere. It ranks as one of the finest pubs I've ever been in.

8. Travellerman

It is a good pub, and to see music played in that room, with a roaring fire and a beer in hand would be a really nice event. I counted 18 ciders on the board and a few beers I've never tried, maybe I'll get back there one day - time and money etc...

Andi, I stayed off the Indian beer (Kingfisher) it instantly gave me an enormous headache, due to the glycerine preservative I believe. But having tried beers all over the world, returning here I decided to give English beer another go; I had always thought tasted like muddy water :D

I'm still working on it, my current favourite is Goddards Fuggle Dee-Dum http://www.goddardsbrewery.co.uk/item-beer-Goddards_FuggleDeeDum-4.php or a good Adnams if I can find it http://cellarandkitchen.adnams.co.u...ams-broadside-500ml-pack-of-12-bottles-63-abv

9. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

On the subject of beer, does anyone else find that decent lager and cigarettes go well together but that the taste of bitter is ruined by smoking, or is it just me?

10. aspwatterson

Must be...

Must be the selective epicurean in you!

:biggrin: A