1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite early roy album

Discussion in 'General' started by Shane, Sep 29, 2008.

?

Favorite of the early albums...

1. Sophisticated Beggar

13.3%
  2. Come Out Fighting Ghengis Smith

13.3%
  3. Folkjokeopus

6.7%
  4. Flat, Baroque & Berserk

6.7%
  5. Stormcock

33.3%
  6. Lifemask

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Valentine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. HQ

20.0%
  9. Bullinamingvase

6.7%
  10. Flashes From The Archives of Oblivion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

just for the hell of it.... (1980 onwards poll here)

hmmm. do i put in flashes or commercial breaks?

HQ for me, easy enough choice. (Folkjokeopus is my least favorite of all his albums)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  2. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Easy choice for me given the name I gave to this site...

3. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Depends how you define 'early'?

FB&B early as a complete album or certain tracks off t'others like McGoohans Blues.

Stormcock obviously later..

Depends how old you are I suppose and when you collided with that speeding train approaching you at the junction of the fountainhead of the slipstream of your mind in the flower of your adolescent youth?

aw :closedeyes:

4. Shane

hippy

(extra characters...)

5. Enjay

Enjay The Old Git on the Bus

Sophisticated Beggar

This is where my adult trip began, in 'Bedsit' land, Rusholme Manchester.
    The connections are almost spooky, even that stunning track called 'Blackpool'. I've never lost that magical feeling of growing up; just playing the CD hurtles me back to so many memories and that anticipatory feeling of "OK! What's next?"
    Nick

6. eeyorn

eeyorn I've got a zappy little nappy

Flat Baroque and Berserk was the first Roy album I bought, shortly after seeing him for the first time at the local college in Stevenage in 1969.He sang most of the songs from the album, notably 'White Man' of course, and 'Hells Angels' - a typically manic Roy move bearing in mind he was supporting Free and the audience consisted primarily of completely outta their trees Bikers :biggrin:

7. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Does this include the excellent guitaring on the track One for All Shane?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2008
  8. Shane

sure does! i cant like everything... the guitaring is ok i suppose, but its not much of a tune (imo)

it was the last album of roys that i got around to listening to

9. Halfhorse

Halfhorse I've got a zappy little nappy

Put em up Ghengis!

This has become one of my Favourite RH Albums after keeping it in the car for months, All you need is ... What you have. Love it.

Graeme

10. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Roy's guitar skills

I think a lot of RH's amazing fretwork skills are underestimated. He is really a very good player but perhaps the lyrics are so poetically truthfully strong that we are distracted from it as part of the integral entity in it's contribution to it's :sifone: completeness.

Does that make sense man?
    It's the Hippy in me andi

11. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

It's nigh on impossible to choose a best from such a list, but I put my name down for Genghis too, even though I have probably played Stormcock and Flat Baroque... more

I know Roy hasn't rated it much over the years, but I think it's overlooked. For me, no other album captures such a 'spirit' as this one. I derive a real pleasure from listening to this mix of atmospheres and sounds.

12. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

One of those days.....

Flat Baroque was my introduction to Roy Harper so holds special memories, but the nostalgia drenched One of those days in England with it's echoes of days gone by puts Bullinamingvase right up there. Listening to it now brings back memories of where and who I was when I first heard it aged 16, and the people I knew then, wonder where they all are now?

13. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

I have to go with my first love, Flat Baroque and Berserk. Pushed so close by Stormcock and HQ that its triumph is a miracle :)

Bob

14. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease

The American release of HQ. Along with VALENTINE, the two Harper albums that got me into ROY. I only had a crummy tape of CRICKETER for years, but my instant love of The GAME never faded. Looking for my own legitimate copy was a 30 year quest. VALENTINE is an old friend (I feel there's almost a sci-fi novel in there somewhere. It demands the imagination of the listener)

As I'm still collecting, I don't yet own Folkjokeopus or Ghengis from this list (but they're next on my list, once I pick another later one or two).

I love songs from every album I know on the list, and most of the songs from STORMCOCK thru BULLINAMINGVASE.

I think this whole list offers a brilliant study of the development and diversity of Roy's Music and compositional style, from poem to song, with the end result being a simple message or a grand composition, and sometimes both!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  15. Marcie

Marcie I've got a zappy little nappy

It was a toss-up between...

Stormcock and Lifemask, but Stormcock definitely takes the cake.