1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite chord ?

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by aspwatterson, Jan 20, 2008.

1. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

My favourite chord, amongst many, is :

Acoustic Standard tuning EADGBE [not tried it on an electric yet - could be quite phenomenal with effects or a wah-wah bar?].

2nd fret A string; with 4th fret D string

Pick all the strings in downward motion and then back upwards again [or use a plectrum]. Sounds even better with a 12 string. When you play it you can alter the whereabouts of your picking hand towards the bridge or towards the nut, not just over the hole. Totally different incisive sound. Wonder if Fuzzy agrees with me? It always sound like a dark cavenous echoey mysterious sound to me.

It's the main chord in 'Welcome to my nightmare I hope I didn't scare you' by our Alice Cooper. Also Roy uses it, particularly in 'Me & my woman' but more major-like with an extra finger holding down the 4th fret on the G string before he does the exquisite bass descending bit and goes to the chord G and then Bminor and A...

chrs 4 noo....sphere
    andi

2. Shaun Woods

Shaun Woods Computer stained fingers

You mean the Emadd9?

Used on erm... 12 Hours to sunset and also used on Breathe and Time by Pink Floyd... Also used by Dido, and a lot more too..

Very nice chord...

Very nice if followed by one of my other fave chords

DOnt know the name...

7th Fret A string.
    9th Fret D string.
    9th Fret G string.

Let ALL strings ring out...

ALso didnae know it was the main chord in 1948ish...

Hmmm...

I've just been playing 1948ish... too...

Well.. Sorta...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  3. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

Nerds!

Wedgie!

4. aspwatterson

Favourite chord [cont...]

I'm trying to remember Roy's song that starts "I'm looking to build a world..."..
    just can't remember which album even. The main reason is to track down the tab for the wonderful chord he slides down as some gallivating antelope on speed heading down a fast flowing cattaract of a stream/waterfall. Can anyone help? Fuzzy where are you? :confused1:

The only nerds around here are the ones that criticise others who can actually can play the damn thing and sit there all judgemental because they can't! Right got that off my chest! Ian are you listening? :mad: Also all this comparing different genres/artist[e]s on polls etc. is a waste of time.. everyone's just different! Roy's not better than Bob, Bob not's better than Neil etc. etc.. just simply blooming different

There you go,I've had my say chaps & dolls!

aw :iamwithstupid:

5. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

ah i was only messin :p

i think the tune you are referring to is Work of Heart, specifically the "All Us Children (So Sadly Far Apart)" bit

6. aspwatterson

Thanks Shane

I think you are right coz I seem to remeber 'heart to heart' as part of the lyrics? Will try and track it down on the Google Tab sites later. Chrs andy :w00t:

7. Shaun Woods

Just been listening to that, sounds like a capo jobbie...

Dunno, off the top of my head, sounds like some sort of D shaped chord...

Maybe an E?

Dinnae...

aspwatterson, do you have any transcriptions for 1948ish?

8. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

9. Shaun Woods

Aye, thanks for that.. Been on there, got some good stuff..

The thing with Roy's music, is that, it can or could be played in SO many different ways...

It's quite hard to transcribe at times.

10. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

I know what you mean and I have a 12 string to so I can get the full effect but my fav chord at the moment is the first one on "How Does it Feel" which I believe is simply a D chord with C# added

d 0
    A 0
    G 2
    D 0
    A 4
    D 0

DADGAD tuning btw. it's really a discord but a great sound none the less. In fact in the same song I love the sequence of chords running down from the 12th fret checkout Musicnaut's tab page

Anyhoo I'm off to see if I can transcribe "When an Old Cricketer" so I can play it my crimbo pressie a dusky pink coloured ukulele :blushing:

11. fuzzytnth3

Nah hah Chordie.com to the rescue

Here are the chords for a Uke tuned to C

[​IMG]

How good it sounds is another thing entirely!

12. aspwatterson

Fav chords [cont...]

I've always played 'How does it feel' with the E shape [no bar] on the 9th,7th frets [or is it 10th & 8th? Haven't got my guitar with me!] and 1st fret [with a hammer on the G string fret one to two] and after each cycle the 13th fret in Standard Tuning and it always has sounded alright to me... the discordancy is the key... perhaps to how do you feel perhaps?? A pure dichotomy!!

aw :gnorsi::party::sifone:

ps For some strange reason I'm not being alerted to when I get a reply to threads anymore which I'm involved with. Looks like I'll have to check my profile when I first signed up as it must have changed somehow. Has Paul been doing some tinkering recently?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  13. aspwatterson

Still haven't found this chord yet...

Sounds like a moveable one??

aw

14. Craig_Powers

Craig_Powers I've got a zappy little nappy

Has anyone tabbed out any of Nicks stuff. I know that that is very difficult because of his incredible skill, low tunings etc, but still possible to get the essence of some of his songs.

I tried to see what Glenn Tilbrook was doing on Verse Time Forgot on the Love is Music DVD but couldn't see enough of the fretboard to work it out.

Craig
    (just learning guitar, its early days...)

15. SHAUN I

There are a couple of songs on HQ site of Nicks The magnificent G - Seven and Three Magpies..link is below.

http://musicnaut.iki.fi/musicnaut/royharper/guitar/index.html

16. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

17. SHAUN I

18. aspwatterson

Big Fat people on big fat planes...

Shaun! You are a diamond! Emma on the Mistlethrush email exchange has been looking for this tab for ages. I tried to play it in Open D but it never sounded right. A thousand thank yous! It'll make her day, month, 9 months, year! She's just announced that she's pregnant to the Harper world at large. She also happens to be the one in the Quiz Obscura who met a Rolling Stone in North Wales last year drunk out of her head with no shoes on at 4am in a hotel who recounted a 'rock & roll' incident about him and Roy. I'll give her the URL now.. you might enjoy the banter on the Mistlethrush if you are not alraedy a subscriber..

chrs
    andi

19. fuzzytnth3

While it's not how Nick plays it (by a long way) I have described here how to play Imaginary Friend. As I'm playing in a normal tuning I suspect the twiddly stuff is a bit more fiendish than the how Nick plays it.

On Rooben's site (I think it was) he has a normal tuning version of Three Magpies. The tune I'm currently trying to get my head round is The Field of the Cloth of Gold it sounds deceptively simple (but fast) but I haven't got anywhere near it yet :(

I've had a bash at sussing out what Glenn plays but I haven't finished it yet one day one day.....

ps my version of Big Fat Silver Aeroplane is here

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  20. Craig_Powers

Craig_Powers I've got a zappy little nappy

Imaginary Friend

Thanks for the chords for Imaginary Friend.

....One my my guitar homework!

Whenever I hear the songe now I recall the Manchester gig were the girl in the audience wanted Nick to sing down the mobile phobe to her toddler back at home.

Cheers
    Craig