1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite chord ?

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by aspwatterson, Jan 20, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Never mind the chords - what was the rock n roll incident?

2. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Rock & roll incident...

I can't tell you coz it's not fair as it's part of the Quiz Obscura with prizes [closing date 28/1/08 1000am]. What about answering the final question about Nick on the Fun Quiz then you may win the prize recently offered for that; as long as you are not classed as a Proxy of Nicks?

chrs
    andi

3. aspwatterson

Nick's stuff

Exactly what I was going to thread next!! Is there a market for Roy & Nick's music tabbed in book form in the shops? Or CD/DVD issue? A melody of Harpers! [melody being the correct collective noun for a group of harpers - if you don't believe me look it up!]

aw

aw

4. Craig_Powers

Craig_Powers I've got a zappy little nappy

tab

There are lots of copyright issues re: tabbing out music and putting it on the web...hence the demise of some sites offering tab. But with Roy and Nick being in control of their own output I would imagine it would be no issue. No record company with over zealous lawyers

When I try to learn a song from internet tab I'm more likely to go out and buy the CD, so it promote sales rather than reduces it.

I would certainly buy a book (or download) of Roy or Nicks music, but given that I'm learning guitar I'd prefer songs tabbed in standard tuning. I'm not sure I could even play a guitar with top E on 13's gauge strings.

Craig

5. Shaun Woods

Shaun Woods Computer stained fingers

I'm going to have a go at tabbing Work Of Heart over the weekend, will post my results over the week...

I'm wondering whether he uses alternative tuning for this, but it's not far chords from Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall.

6. aspwatterson

Tab tab tabbing...

Look forward to it.. imagine it must be alt. tuning but you never know with Roy.. I've seen him play the same songs in Standard and Open tunings.
    'Forever' is an example... have you seen his fretwork on this on the Youtube or was it Myspace or Harperspace ...can't remember?

sean andy

7. Shaun Woods

Shaun Woods Computer stained fingers

I always go by the bass, I mean...

Mostly any altered tuning... Mostly, has a dropped bass E, if you listen out for that, thats usually the key...

8. wessexy witch

wessexy witch I've got a zappy little nappy

My favorate chord is chunky brown chord.
    :rofl::smilielol5:

9. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

:rofl:
    that gave me belly laugh! thanx wessexy!!

10. wessexy witch

wessexy witch I've got a zappy little nappy

'sawrite!
    Glad to be of service!!
    :biggrinjester:

11. aspwatterson

Nashville tuning...

I think Shaun mentioned he had a twelve string?
    Have you tried just the top octaves on the 6 strings?
    I call it 'high tuning' and if the top G is too thin and flexible to get a decent sound then use the ordinary lower G. It's an amazing way to get fine picking with minimum effort. Have I confused you like playing Origami on the guitar?

aw :w00t:

12. aspwatterson

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  13. aspwatterson

14. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Dadgad

FCGD = Cajun Tuning (one whole step down from GDAE)
    GDGB = Open G Tuning
    GDGD = Sawmill Tuning
    GDAD = "Gee-Dad"
    DDAD = Dead Man's Tuning, or Open D Tuning, or Bonaparte's Retreat Tuning, or "Dee-Dad"
    ADAE = Old-Timey D Tuning
    AEAE = High Bass, High Counter (or High Bass, High Tenor) similar to Sawmill Tuning
    AEAC♯ = Black Mountain Rag Tuning, Calico Tuning, Open A Tuning, or Drunken Hiccups Tuning
    AEAD for Old Sledge, Silver Lake
    EDAE for Glory in the Meeting House
    EEAE for Get up in the Cool

Interesting article, I can play a few chords but am a bit clueless when it comes to the technical jargon etc. I didn't see the DADGAD tuning in the above list that Roy uses on a lot of tracks. Is it a rare tuning set up among musicians? :m8:

15. aspwatterson

Dadgad

Just Google search 'DADGAD' and there's 127,000 sites. How many more do you need?

One of my favs is Open C tuning with the treble E up to an F [which is the one of mine on Splinters III] which gives you a very wide spectrum but would not know what you'd call it technically? Depending on gauge [and state/make of the strings] though is subject to string breakages,so it's best not to do it on your mate's guitar like I did and broke two strings coz the B also goes up to a C. Would love to be able to afford a custom built like Nick taking the strings/gauges to unbeknown parameters!

cheers
    andi

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  16. SHAUN I

I don't need any! I was just curious if it was a popular choice among musicians in general.. :m14:

17. aspwatterson

DADGAD etc...

I have tended to get stuck in Open D over the years with the F# but do like DADGAD but would not say am proficient at all in it. Just a couple of songs I play repetitively..... Open G capoed on 7th fret is pretty cool...

Wait till I resurrect myself again from the last 25 years of various 'trials and tribulations' stuck in a mushroom valley of mortgages, losing properties,jobs, relationships....and at last I am going to be free with my beautiful children grown up now with jobs, and a place of my own in June;at last to redevelop the rest of my life creatively doing what I wanna do! Thinking of building a recording studio in the brick shed out the back garden and call it the Sanctuary....

There's now some good cheap magic boxes that do all the tricks and it should be within budget. Might ask Roy if he can advise me how to build a pond.. only jesting.. maybe just a little fountain waterfall edifice thingy that sings to me? Now there's an invention to ponder? A singing fridge which you can programme Harperesquely when you open the door to help you with your diet or mood? Sorry I'm drifting into digressions again.. bad habit of mine as Paul would probably vouch.

chrs
    andi :biggrin:

18. SHAUN I

:rolleyes: I'm guilty of that too Andy, nowhere threads and tangents are the fabric of the map of life! :tongue_smilie:

19. telemonster

telemonster I've got a zappy little nappy

chord

Am7...? (open chord, 2 fingers-not 4).

and i also like that open C with a D on the 2nd string!

20. aspwatterson

You've lost me?

In standard tuning? Can we have a diagram please?

I like the shape C on top five strings with the bass E down to C if the guitar can handle it without the strings rattling on the fretboard. Gives it extra subteranean resonance man.

chrs
    aw :m3: